Project Report System needed...

Everything AM users with W7 computers need to know

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Project Report System needed...

Postby drdna » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi there,

I haven't posted in a while but I thought I'd post my 2 cents on this topic. I've worked with databases for many years and both MS Access and Foxpro have excellent reporting features for projects.

If you write a lot of code, procedures, and/or Variables, you can get lost in the project very easy. Lets say you have over 500 frames with sounds starting and stopping in half of them at various points. maybe in a hot spot or entering or leaving the frame. Or maybe you have 35 procedures being called by 200 hotspots within 85 frames, etc.... Then down the road you need to remember where soundxxx is being called from and stop at. Ugh!

Yes, it can get very confusing.

A reporting function to print where all these things are would be "extremely" helpful. With a click of a button I could print a report of everything within a frame by frame. Or print all variables and where they are called. Or what frames are calling what procedures, etc.

I can go on and on but I'll stop here. You should have the idea I'm getting at.

I'll be working on a project for months, then I need to remember back to the beginning where something is being called from a certain frame. Not fun.

This would be helpful for many others I'm sure. Ideas?

EDIT: Ooops! I created a new topic when I was trying to post in the "Most needed AM Features". Could someone please move it there? Thanks.
drdna

Postby reneuend » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi drdna.

I also thought about that. Currently, I use MS OneNote to track my projects and all the material that goes with it. In the past, I would reserve some adventuremaker frames in my AM project for notes.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby drdna » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 am

I do take notes, but not very thorough sometimes. I'll get on a roll and pop a variable here, tweek a procedure there, adjust an audio track over there, etc and not document it. Months later, I'll be scratching my head saying to myself...."Now where in the H_ll did I put that thing?"

Sometimes it takes me hours to find a particular procedure or audio track locally within a frame, expecially when I have over 800 frames in my current project. lol. Or trying to find a specific variable call in a frame thats causing program problems. I have hundreds of Variables.

It would just make life easier.
drdna

Re: Project Report System needed...

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 pm

I could try to create a feature like that in Project Toolkit, but I lack the time :(
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Return to Windows 7 issues