Some 3D Characters

This forum is meant for showing off your creations (3d renders, artwork...) and getting feedback.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Some 3D Characters

Postby Jaked » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:47 am

Okay, and start!

A man in a nice business suit!

A nice lady with casual attire and a funny expression

And just for fun, a 3D twist of Reneuend's character, Shayne McCoy???

*Note: I officially created characters 1 and 2, but Shayne McCoy is a liscensed character by Reneuend. Maybe not, but it's still rude!Also note that I am not up for clients at the time, but be guaranteed that when I finally am open for clients who need 3D people/Animations/GIF's I will give results.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:26 am

Nice artwork. I'm envious of all of you that can draw in 3D.

:) I'm flattered that you coined one of your characters after someone in my game.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Lazypookzz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:44 am

Oh that looks great Jaked, wish I could make such 3D people etc. I can make 3D boxes and such but that's it.

What do you use to create them?
Lazypookzz
Frequent Poster

Postby Jaked » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:00 am

I use an early version of Poser (Poser 4 while it's now setting up for it's ninth editon)

Thanks, Reneuend and Lazzypooks. It's the EXACT same style of characters CBProductions uses (in Lifestream, Shady Brook, The Filmmaker, etc.) except I use them directly in Poser 4 while he transfers the characters into Daz3D. And here's a pre and post render. Using the business man model and the model I used as "Shayne McCoy" (reneuend owns all titles and lisencing, either that or it's bad manners):

Notice the lack of shade and well formatting and texturing.

Now notice the shade makes the eyes hidden under the fedora. Also, see how the vertexes are smoother and the polygon rates are higher? Or, just that the image is smoother (vertexes) and the detail is higher (polygon), are the correct terms, if I remember correctly.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Lazypookzz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:48 am

Never heard of Poser, but I looked it up and it looks like a fun program. Is it hard to learn?

You can see the difference between the rendered and non rendered picture clearly. Looks good!

I still need a 3D version of Pooky the teddybear, can you make that too with this program? Image
Lazypookzz
Frequent Poster

Postby Imari » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Nice work, Jaked. I love Poser as well.

Just FYI, there's a free alternative to Poser called Daz Studio 3, which would allow you to use newer figures. You can read about and download it here ->
http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/daz_studio3?_m=d

The Pro version of Daz Studio 3 costs as do the plug-ins, but the basic version is free. Daz used to give away a pile of free content if you registered the program, but I don't know if that's true or not since they've released version 3. However, Daz also gives away the basic versions of their premiere male and female figures Victoria 4.2 and Michael 4.0 here -> http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d_models/overview?_m=d. You need the morph packs for each figure to make them truly come alive, but the basic figures are wonderful in themselves. Also, when you sign up for the Daz newsletter, they let you know about a free item each week. Watch for their Platinum Club membership drive, which happens every year about mid-November. In past years they've offered a free month of membership with big giveaways of content, plus downloads of most of the Platinum club content for $1.99. (I don't work for Daz, but I do love the company and its products.)

If you join Renderosity.com, they have a ton of free stuff that you can use to clothe your figures, create your scenes, add lights, etc. There's also PoserWorld.com, which offers a one month membership for about $30 that will let you download anything in their long list of content. BTW, I see that Poserworld has a $50-off + "bonus" offer for Poser 8 that sends you here ---> http://poser8.smithmicro.com/dr/deal.html?ClickID=c4lvnzliaiiixpfxwlepna77wilxlkipeei. The other source for free stuff for Poser is Smith Micro's Content Paradise.

In both Poser and Daz Studio, you can pose, animate, and render your 3d figures. I don't use Daz Studio as I personally prefer Poser. Starting with Poser 7, there is an included "talk designer" feature that allows you to input typed words and audio to make your figures talk. For Daz Studio, I believe that's a plug-in or perhaps one needs Mimic, not sure. The latest version of Poser also includes "Wardrobe Wizard", which allows you to take the clothing of one figure and add the morphs to make it fix another figure.... very useful.

As for ease of use, I think both are pretty easy and there are numerous tutorials on line. It's probably a matter of which interface you prefer as they are both very different from one another.
Imari
VIP

Postby Jaked » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Some things you need to learn could be: magnetism and the use of grouping, comforming the standalone clothes onto the standalone characters, and possibly just plain animating them. The newer versions of Poser are harder, and you have to create the cloth and texture of the characters, but yes, you come out with better characters.

Oh, and Imari, I took up on that offer, but I need a registration key to even continue.
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Jaked » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:24 pm

And lazzypooks, about that bear? Yes you can, as a prop.

1. Get the Teddy Bear prop.
2.Load it into Poser 4
3.Make the background white.
4.Add the teddy bear to the scene.
5. Export a picture
6. Make the white background transparent!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Lazypookzz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Imari,

That is a lot of useful information, thanks! I don't work with figures so far, but maybe in the near future... Image
Probably I will try it anyway lol
Lazypookzz
Frequent Poster

Postby Imari » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:24 pm

Jaked said:
Oh, and Imari, I took up on that offer, but I need a registration key to even continue.

Which offer was that, Jaked? Some programs send you an email with an activation code, but you may need to register first? Check your email and then check the "about" button on the tool bar of the application and see if there's anything there that leads you further?

If you let me know which software, then I will check my version to see if I can help you figure out what's next. :P

EDIT:
To get your serial number for Daz Studio, go To Daz3d and register. To do this go to this page and click "StartHere", then choose "Register".
http://www.daz3d.com
I think they'll probably send you email to confirm the registration.

Once you have registered, launch DazStudio -
1. On the pop-up click "Click Here to Register on Line"
2. on the next pop--up fill in your email and password and click "sign-in"
3. Copy the serial number and got back to DazStudio and paste it in the registration window.
4. Accept the locations on the next two screens and the program should open.

Go back to http://www.daz3d.com and click "start here" to download the free content and view video tutorials.

Best of luck!
Imari
VIP

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:21 am

Lazypookzz wrote:Hi Imari,

That is a lot of useful information, thanks! I don't work with figures so far, but maybe in the near future... Image
Probably I will try it anyway lol

Your little animated bug...surprised me ..lol...that's really neat...
mercedes
VIP

Postby reneuend » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:32 pm

I tried to kill that little bug the first time I saw it. :P
---

reneuend
Administrator

Return to Artwork