Control Room

This forum is meant for showing off your creations (3d renders, artwork...) and getting feedback.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Control Room

Postby JasonMc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:39 am

I'm not talkin' much about our newest release, as of yet, but I wanted to show everyone what Google SketchUp is capable of. I used mostly models from Google Warehouse (they're all completely royalty free), and modified them for what I wanted to do.

I was able to create an entire spy base/lab, as well as two other complex models, using Google SketchUp (free version).

The world map is from a royalty-free map website (I can't remember the link, atm), and the radar screen is from Microsoft Office (again, royalty-free). I build the main screen image using those, and a bit of tweaking in GIMP.

I have since revised this image a little, though I don't have a version to show you (the file is on my work computer, and I'm too lazy to drag it over to this one).

Again, SketchUp is very easy to build with, and requires absolutely no knowledge of 3D modeling. If you can use MS Paint, you can use SketchUp!
Attachments
lab.jpg
lab.jpg (269.38 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
-Jason McDonald
Manager, Programmer
MousePaw Games

--
PocketWatch 1.0 Plugin now available in the Plugins Corner!
JasonMc

Looks good

Postby Harvester » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:04 am

It looks good :) I've never used Sketchup yet, but I'm willing to try one day. It seems to be a fine program for cartoon-like environments; what I do not find appealing from it's said features is the lack of proper charachter animation tools even in the pro version, but I guess it's not meant for that use :wink:
Good work!

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby JasonMc » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:25 pm

You can purchase better raytracers (exporters) for it, but I haven't really looked into it much. However, the outputs DO look photorealistic that way.
-Jason McDonald
Manager, Programmer
MousePaw Games

--
PocketWatch 1.0 Plugin now available in the Plugins Corner!
JasonMc

Postby robertlear » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:43 am

the thing with sketchup and the same goes for any modelling program is you only get out what you put in, the detail in the model is what makes the model look real. sketchup is not a decent renderer even when it's cell shading. However i find for 2d graphics anyway a combination of an external render (su podium is what i use for example) an image editor and the hidden line function (with shadows on) of sketchup. combining the raytraced render and the line work overlayed in a image editor produces some really cool 'point and click' backgrounds as it essentially pencils the image using the hidden line layer .

you can get photorealistic renders i personally dont like them not much use for them in the traditional point and click IMO

on another note anyone looking to collaborate feel free to contact. :)
Attachments
Storyboard concept 1.jpg
pseudo toon and real lighting
Storyboard concept 1.jpg (967.23 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
studio concept.jpg
a toon shaded render (with real lighting)
studio concept.jpg (1001.8 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
back door1.jpg
a barebones example of gneral lighting and &quot;virtual penciling&quot;
back door1.jpg (175.54 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
robertlear

Love

Postby Harvester » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:50 pm

I LOVE these images! The method you just mentioned sounds -and seems- awesome! Maybe I'll give it a try one day.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Vairon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Seems awesome! The quality is amazing. I love them! :shock:
Vairon
Forum Master

Return to Artwork