My first AM game in years!

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

My first AM game in years!

Postby time-killer-games » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:59 am

Hey guys! I'm back! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9oGo06k2k0

I've decided to make a new project in AM again, after years of leaving the product.

For the sake of fast prototyping, the first Windows version is being made with AM.

However, down the road I do intend to make a macOS and Linux version using a different software. It should look pretty identical to Windows on those platforms, though. I will also make a Windows version in this other software to eliminate the need for an installer, but I will only release and/or link to the version made with AM in this topic. After all, this is the *Adventure Maker* forums...

The current story idea is that you have discovered a planet that deeply below its surface has an eternal chamber of damnation, called the Abyss. The Abyss holds aliens of many species, all who are either prisoners of war or criminals. They are forced to stay and be bound up in places where they can feel ongoing pain.

In the screenshot at the bottom of this post, and the video linked above, you see a small chamber in the Abyss, where several individuals of an ape-like species of alien, closely related to humans, are "bound" (a.k.a.) "damned", each tightly suspended in their own miniature volcano, and these volcanoes do erupt over time, causing immense pain to these beings.

As you can see, their brains are blown out of their heads, and most of their flesh is gone. They once had legs and wings - they have lost both as an additional punishment to being imprisoned in the Abyss. While the Abyss is an eternal place - the beings who stay there remain finite and their stay in the Abyss is finite.

When in the Abyss, your lifespan is expanded, and your age is preserved, so that you may experience pain up to even millions of years, in the same life-time. In the Abyss, much like the concept of hеll, you were punished according to what you have done. Depending on how severe what your crime was, it will determine how long your stay and how great and frequent your pain in the Abyss will be.

When you are "bound" or "damned" in the Abyss, (which is usually the first thing that happens once you are sentenced here), you can not move. You are confined to one place, where all you can do at best is complain about the pain or scream.

However, you can not speak like you normally would outside of the Abyss, you speak with not your physical mouth, as it is bound and damned as the rest of your body. You speak with your eternal "essence". In ancient cultures, an "essence" was once called your "spirit". It is the 4rth dimension of every living being, and it goes on forever.

In this game, you discover from a mysterious alien that someone you know is being punished here, who they say is innocent, and your first goal is to find them. As soon as you find them, your goal is to find a way to set them free, and escape from the Abyss before the "Guards of the Abyss" find you.

Staying in the Abyss is said to be life-changing to evil beings. It purifies their ways by giving them a desire, once they leave their punishment, to not repeat their mistakes, so that they don't ever need to go to the Abyss again.

No working title yet, still trying to decide...

But anyway, that's all I have to share for now. This is my first "real and serious" project, that I will try my best to not be sloppy, lazy, or inconsistent with...

I hope to update this topic with more to show soon. I'm trying to find a balance between showing enough to keep your interest and not giving too much away.

Cheers.
Samuel
Attachments
damnation small.png
damnation small.png (997.6 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Last edited by time-killer-games on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Re: My first AM game in years!

Postby Candle » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:39 pm

Welcome back , good luck with the game.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:20 am

Hey Time Killer. Nice 3D work. It means more when you do the complete work yourself. Not to mention, you learn more!!!
Look forward to hearing more in the future!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby time-killer-games » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:55 am

Thanks guys!

I replaced the video I had in the original post with a video that included more gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9oGo06k2k0

Your thoughts?
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Josiah1221 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:35 am

This is looking really good! Great job with the 3d renders and mystery language ;) Will be keeping an eye on this one!
Josiah1221

Postby reneuend » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:26 pm

I like the 3D art.

The following is m opinion only!!! (remember, I'm over 50 now! :o )
The music track should be a bit softer and longer between repeats. The lava sound could be improved with a bubbling sound.

Looks like it will be an enjoyable game.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby skype6 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm

Very nice project! Maybe you could add some strange sound when you click on an alien or something! Also you could use some sounds of steam and fire near lava. All in all, good job and keep it up.
skype6
Frequent Poster

Postby time-killer-games » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 am

Hi Josiah1221! Thank you for your kind words! It means a lot. :D

reneuend wrote:The following is m opinion only!!! (remember, I'm over 50 now! :o )
The music track should be a bit softer and longer between repeats. The lava sound could be improved with a bubbling sound

Hey reneuend! Age has nothing to do with it. :) Yeah, the current background music is a placeholder, so what I'm going to actually use will be much less repetative. I originally had a bubbling sound, but the one I used was so quiet I couldn't hear it well. I think I'm going to up its volume in an audio editor and then reimport it into Adventure Maker. :)

skype6 wrote:Very nice project! Maybe you could add some strange sound when you click on an alien or something! Also you could use some sounds of steam and fire near lava. All in all, good job and keep it up.

Hi skype6! The original intent is for there to be voice acting for the aliens, so yes that will be added, I just haven't gotten to that yet. As for steam and fire, I thought I at least had a fire sound already, or do you mean the room with the mini volcanoes? Now that I think of it, you are right, I need a sound for those too, but I will probably make it more subtle than in the orange cavern. Thank you for your encouragement! :)

As always, thanks for the feedback everyone!! :D
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby time-killer-games » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:48 am

Did a few touch-ups today on my underground castle's courtyard. Hope to have more gameplay footage available soon.
Attachments
courtyard small.png
courtyard small.png (1000.04 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:55 pm

Wow. Nice. :mrgreen:
---

reneuend
Administrator