Twilight Of The Idols (Updated Jul 8)

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Twilight Of The Idols (Updated Jul 8)

Postby Von Knudenberg » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:31 am

Hello to you all!

Here are some screenshots and videos from my upcoming game "Twilight Of The Idols". Part of this game was supposed to enter the just closed game contest, but because of some technical and time related difficulties, I didn't manage to make it on time. Firts part (or more like short demo) of this game entered previous contest which from there are original introduction video. To view the videos, you will need xvid codec. You can get it from the link I have added. It is easy to install and uninstall. So you can get rid of it when not needed/wanted.

Twilight Of The Idols will be traditional adventure game for Windows mixing traditional mystery, detective and horror elements. Most of all, it will have historical background with fact and fiction as well. It will use two types of movement, slideshow and 360 panoramic movement. Soundtrack will include original music (composed and played by Ernst Kreubel) and recorded sound effects, besides of those from "the waste of internet sound effects".

If you have anything to ask, feel free to ask. And please let me know, if there are anykind of problem with that filesharing page.

Thank you for your time!

With best regards,
Pete (Von Knudenberg)

UPDATE (Feb 17): Added one new video
UPDATE (Feb 18): Added one short video "Montage"
UPDATE (Jul 8): Twilight Of The Demo is near

Twilight Of The Idols - Screenshots and videos

Xvid codec
Last edited by Von Knudenberg on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Von Knudenberg

Postby reneuend » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:46 am

Very impressive. Very professional. 8)
I would have loved to seen the complete game!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:58 pm

Great renders!!! I really liked the Luger (pistol in the drawer) did you create the model or download it from some source website?
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Imari » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Wonderful to see the progress! Everything looks so professional. The subdued, almost sepia-toned, images really convey that sense of saddness and something lost. Your new video gave me a shudder.

Keep going with this!
Imari
VIP

Postby Von Knudenberg » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Thank you for your nice comments Imari, reneuend and Lyberodoggy. I feel that I'm far away from being professional (nice metaphor you have there! :), but of course I like it, that in some way my sleepless nights and hard trying gives some results by your feelings...

All models you see (including Luger) were done by me. Otherwise I would give credit to respective owner/contributor. It is just that I really like to do as much as I can by myself. Of course there is plenty of free models as well as some neat models around internet, but I'm here to learn this as I go forward and it is really good way to learn, just by making something :) Most of textures are from free texture galleries around the internet and some sound effects I am using are from free, lo-fi sound effect galleries. This is mainly because I simply don't have all that time to learn texturing (which is very hard and time consuming), or recording every sound I need. So, there is at least this one path where I have to take some shortcuts, unfortunately...

Again, thank you for your time and comments. Comments and critics are always welcome!

With best regards,
Pete
Von Knudenberg

Postby Zenoc2 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Looks a little dark for me, but nice work all the same. I see some very nice models in there. 8)
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Wow... the Luger seemed better than the one in Call of Duty :P
Maybe the fact that in prerendered shots you can have much more polygons counts, but still very professional :)

Way to go!
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Vairon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:33 pm

Really impressive! :shock: The quality of images is incredible and the textures are very realistic.
An excellent job.
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Von Knudenberg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Thank you all for so nice comments!

I'm quite busy at training grounds as we speak (just quick visit from HQ's "TCFAMPO - Tactical Computer For Adventure Maker Purpose Only), but I'm going to add some new video and few screenshots later this night. So have a look then, if you like to.

With best regards,
Pete

PS: Lyberodoggy, that Luger is actually quite low-poly model. Maybe it is just that small screensize that bluffs you ;)
Von Knudenberg

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Could be ;)
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

WOW

Postby Sandbox » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:40 pm

@Von Knudenberg

WOW! Absolutely awesome graphics *applauds*

With that kind of work, you should be a professional. I am sorry that you were not able to enter the contest, but I look forward to playing your game when it is complete.

Great Job!

Sandbox
Sandbox

Postby Zenoc2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:11 am

Holy cow, I was really, really slow catching on there. I just watched the videos, and up until now I had no idea where the game was set. :oops: Auschwitz, eh? I suppose that explains why it looks like a dark game. The goal is to escape, correct?
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:13 am

Once Again...Nice Job Von..These images are fantastic..!~ :D

Really impressive..!~ I love the atmosphere..Can't wait to play it..I see there is a puzzle there in one of the rooms :twisted:...Looks fun..:D..

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Von Knudenberg » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:41 am

Thank you, Sandbox for those almost praising words. But I think, that with these skills, I would become very poor man very soon as a professional game maker ;) But, then again I could have enough time to do this. So, f*** the money, right? :)

Zenoc2, yes Auschwitz (to be specific, Birkenau, or Auschwitz II) and its area will be one of those historical locations in Twilight Of The Idols. So yes, it has quite dark atmosphere by quite "natural" reasons. How come could we see the light in places where the sun no longer rises... It isn't "escape from the camp" style of game. Those locations are more like dream sequences and it will have two different timelines, so player will travel between two different decades. At least in his dreams ;) It is more like a "mental escape" style of a game... I try not to reveal too much of the plot as it should grow and reveal as you play on.

Thank you, mercedes. I try really hard to create strong atmosphere. So it could make you feel something instead just clickin' different hotspots...

Best regards,
Pete

PS: Still at work, so no pictures/videos yet
Von Knudenberg

:D

Postby Sandbox » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:48 pm

@ Von Knudenberg pfft! money is so over rated LOL
Sandbox

Postby Mystery » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:33 pm

Very impressive pics and videos, great job! :D
And I agree with other posters, they look pretty professional.

*Goes to hide with her own artwork, lol*

I look forward to playing this game - but you know that already :lol:
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Wow!

Postby GrannyPeggy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:54 am

Mystery wrote:*Goes to hide with her own artwork, lol*

:oops:
I'm with you, Mystery! I can't believe how realistic this game is! I shudder just looking at the screenshots...I can feel the deep evil within the walls. Keep up the good work, Von K. You're going places, I can tell! :wink:
GrannyPeggy

Postby Von Knudenberg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Thank you, Mystery and GrannyPeggy, but please, don't start any hiding operations because of this. You have no reason for that :)

I'm glad that you find some emotions from this. It is one of my goals to achieve...

With best regards,
Pete
Von Knudenberg

Postby Von Knudenberg » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:07 am

I'm now finishing the demo which should be available soon. Still some polishing here and there and some tweaking, as well as testing, but the end is near.

Demo will introduce cubic panorama plugin and few great plugins by ShadowHunter, which will bring some life in to the game.

-Pete
Von Knudenberg

Postby chickens1127 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:26 pm

A tiny bit of a necro post, but ok.........
Hi... It's Chickens1127...
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby Vairon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Excellent news!
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:10 pm

I know it will be great! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:10 am

From what I see and hear from you, Von Knudenberg, is...

A: You're back! Yay!
B: The game is very interesting, the 3-D Models are a 10.0 compared to my Poser 5's 4.2!!! Cannot wait to play!
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby mercedes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:10 am

That's terrific Pete...:D..Can't wait..!~
mercedes
VIP

Postby Lazypookzz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:27 am

Wauw......beautiful pictures and video.
If that isn't professional, I don't know what is :lol:
Lazypookzz
Frequent Poster

Postby mercedes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Wauw......beautiful pictures and video.
If that isn't professional, I don't know what is

..It won the FirstPlace in an AM contest--:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby juhuwoorps » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:47 pm

A game that isn't finished has won a contest? Which contest are you speaking of? :)
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby Von Knudenberg » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:15 am

Thank you for your words and interest. Even though I don't quite agree on that "professional" (I feel like I have just scratched the surface of 3D modelling and game making), those words give motivation to continue :)

juhuwoorps,

If you read the first post of this thread, there is few words on that contest matter.

Still some fine tuning to be done, but last night was great progress (not regarding sleeping hours) and now I have few days vacation to spend for making the game. It would be nice though, if one could have also few days vacation from stuff like home, family, housework (which in this case includes also horses, sheeps, dogs, cats and other hairy things), but it seems to be possible only IN games :)
Von Knudenberg

Return to New Games Announcements