Component Template - "Adventure Quest"

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby Imari » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Though I have not been able to fix the resolution issues or to resolve the custom Save-Load component, I am uploading the demo with small fixes and the raw AM files to go with it. The project remains broken, but the three components, which were my main purpose in starting the experiment - Viewer, Portal, and Journal - work fine. I hope that they will prove useful to others.

You can download the raw files and pick the project apart to see how each component is made. I made all of the graphic files (screens, videos, icons, etc.) except, of course, for the common icons and the splash screens (2nd - 4th frames). Please feel free to reuse anything in the project except for the splash screens, my personal RealmsForge splash screen and the sounds. All of the sounds are free ones (except for the RF laugh sound), but please do not reuse these. The creators of those sounds ask that you download them from their sites, which I've credited at the end of the demo. (I see that I left a few things in the Areas folder that I did not use, but which were from earlier failed experiments with the old AM logo and with the GIF animations.)

:oops: A major caution: Save and Load are seriously broken in this project. Do not attempt to save from any frame. I did leave the Save-Load frame and accessory graphics in the project and if you'd like to use those, feel free. Also, if anyone does figure out how to fix the save-load "feature", please post and let us know. It was supposed to work by clicking the menu button from the frame, then clicking save or load from the main menu. A thumbnail of the frame to be saved was supposed to appear in the next available slot on the Save-Load frame and the player was supposed to be able to type in a name for the game to be saved or loaded. The name was supposed to appear in the little box beneath the thumbnail. This turned out to be totally beyond my abilities.... even with help from Lyberodoggy, ShadowHunter, and others of my friends here. Sorry, I did try. :P

I'll be happy to try to answer any questions. Comments and feedback are always welcome as well. Thanks to all who tested the project and who tried to help.

The new compiled version of the demo -
http://rapidshare.com/files/284967532/AdventureQuest_demo.zip

The raw AM files -
http://rapidshare.com/files/284963215/AdventureQuest_SDK.zip
Last edited by Imari on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imari
VIP

Postby Vairon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Really impressive! You must have cost many hours but is worth it.
You did a great job: the cursors (cool), the 3D vision of inventory objects, music, the journal, the effects... You care much details, I like that.
I have always believed that small details are very important.
It is a pity that you could not complete the save and load screens, I was very interested in seeing as you had done.
The truth is that it is costing me more than I thought (a looot of script), but soon I will finish a demo that you can see.

Great job. :wink:
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Imari » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:21 am

Hi Vairon,
Thanks for taking a look. It looks as though you have managed to work out a save/load system using thumbnails. I am awaiting your demo eagerly. :D

I think that AM really needs that. Having gray Windows pop-ups seriously detracts from a project.
~C
Imari
VIP

Postby 3dgamer » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:54 am

Hi Imari,

Thanks so much for offering your AQ game for reviewing. I was able to download the RAW version but the EXE version link has unfortunately expired. :(

I'll take a look at what I can from the RAW version and if I see anything that I can help with (like some of the things I mentioned earlier), I'll let you know.

As far as the save/load feature...I'm new at scripting so don't know how much I can be of help, but will try. :)

Again, thanks!
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Imari » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:45 am

Hi 3dgamer,
The link to the demo file should still work here -
http://rapidshare.com/files/284967532/AdventureQuest_demo.zip
Mystery had a similar problem with Rapid Share the other day though, so perhaps there's time limit or quota for downloads.

Thanks for taking a look and I hope that you find something useful to use. :D
Last edited by Imari on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imari
VIP

Postby reneuend » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:58 am

You have to wait 15 minutes between downloads with the free user option. The other limit is a maximum of 200 mb file size upload and files are deleted after 90 days without download.

I'm downloading the raw data now to look at the save/load feature. It sounds like a great concept (like the other things you've done).

Thanks for sharing! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Previous

Return to New Games Announcements