Component Template - "Adventure Quest"

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Component Template - "Adventure Quest"

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:28 am

This is not really a game. It's the demo/template that I (with a LOT of help from my friends here :P ) made for AM. The demo includes a working Journal, Viewer, and Portal Device. I was not able to finish the Save-Load. You can download the uncompiled AM demo here --->

Updated link by request, 9-11-2010 (The demo has issues due to Windows 7 compatibility)-
http://rapidshare.com/files/418446609/AdventureQuest_SDK.zip.html

This project started as a test to see if I could build the components that I needed in AM. Once I began making the pieces, I realized that others might find them useful as well. It has been an excellent learning experience for me and has helped me to find out what AM can or cannot do well. Also, I have deliberately used pre-made Poser and Vue d'Esprit items so that people can see how easy it is to get usable results with these programs and some free object meshes.

Here are some screens ---
Last edited by Imari on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Imari
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:33 am

This is an amazing demo of what AM and plugins can do :D
Very well done, Imari, and a great idea!

I finished but haven't found everything as it seems from your screenshots :lol:
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:20 am

Which screen did you miss seeing?
Imari
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:28 am

I didn't find the map as far as I remember, and I didn't see the character in the middle (on your screenshot #4), just some sort of fire I think. But my memory isn't good lately :P
Mystery

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:47 am

Ah... easy to miss. :P

Pick up the bottle by the green fountain . Fill it and go back behind the columns. There's a door.
Imari
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:53 am

Yeah, I was there already, but didn't use the appropriate item :P
Got it now :D
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:17 am

Thanks for sharing Imari! I'm downloading it now during a thunderstorm. Hopefully, I won't lose internet connection! :shock:

It looks good and I'm looking forward to trying it out! :)

[edit]
I just finished playing. What a nice design and some really innovative way of doing things. :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:47 am

Hey Imari...:D

Loved the atmosphere of the game..and what you did with Particle..and flash..The Key part was cool..Inventory viewer was really cool..:D~ Was that a video or flash..?

There was a few things..it was a little buggy....there we're several shots I didn't see as well...I didn't see the witch either..

After you open the chess, the game ends..without having to use any other item..The key was the only item i was able to use...

The inventory was only veiwable after clicking it--was a bit difficult to grab an item....Did u want that though..? I may have missed some instructions..so its possible u wanted these affects..and I missed it.

Also when u hit the resume button game, after the game ends..It takes u to the Upclose of KeyFrame--with all items still in inventory--don't ask me why i clicked it..lol..

Anyhow other than that..I really enjoyed the atmosphere and Look forward to the full game, I realize its still a demo, so some things may not be available to us too....:D

Oh one more thing..You know the frame that says ShadowHunter Plugins...it may be my machine...but the whole word isn't there..U only see Plu....I have a smaller screen I can only view 1024*780--so that could be me there...:P

I seen no errors.. If you want me to test it again i can...:)

EDIT***

Hey..we're able to post attachments again..??! I just noticed this..:lol:

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks for the bug report, mercedes. I'll try to check these out today.

It seems as though there may be some problem with te resolution changing as Mystery also had trouble. When she tried to LOAD a game, the screen reverted to 800 x 600 resolution because I had
Code: Select all
Action.ChangeDisplayResolutionOnLoadGame 2

instead of
Action.ChangeDisplayResolutionOnLoadGame 3

on the Advanced tab of the Load button. :oops:

Sorry.
EDIT

Hi Mystery,
After fiddling with the code on the advanced tab of the LOAD button, I find that I am unable to "fix" the reversion to 800 x 600 resolution from the games 1024 x 768 resolution. :?

I'm not sure why. Maybe one of the coders will know if 800 x 600 is hard coded into
Action.PopupLoadGame
...?

(I was hoping to have a custom save-load system in the demo, but was never able to figure it out. Adding the pop-ups for save and load was a last minute "fix". )

~Cleo

<<Posts merged by admin>>
Imari
VIP

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi mercedes,
Thanks for testing the demo! I'm sorry that you had so many problems. Let me see if I can answer your questions....

First, I'm wondering if some of these issues are due to the reset of the resolution to 1024 x 768. The game is supposed to automatically resize to 1024 x 768. At present, I'm not sure that I can answerr that. :oops:

The videos for the Viewer were done using Poser. They're AVI's, though the frame looking back towards the chateau uses two flash movies. The opening chest is also a Flash file.

The witch is the only AVI that was compressed using Xvid codex. The codex should have been installed with the demo. If it's not a codex problem, you need to do this to see the witch ---> Pick up the empty bottle and fill it at the fountain, then go down into the tomb. Pour the bottle into the basin to wake up that witch.

The unfilled bottle, the filled bottle, and the gold key are the only usable items. The demo is not for a game, it's just a vehicle for showing the viewer, journal, and portal device. I just added in the rest so that people could see how these components might be integrated into a real game. I was also experimenting for my own information to see what worked and what did not.

The hidden inventory is a "feature". :wink: I also wanted to have the lower bar black as well, until one clicked on it, but I gave up on that... I think it was because of the bar flickering during transitions.

Also when u hit the resume button game, after the game ends..It takes u to the Upclose of KeyFrame--with all items still in inventory--don't ask me why i clicked it..lol..

That button uses an INI file that is created during play when you use the Menu button from any room. It gets written over each time you leave a room. (I had deleted those INI files before compiling, but I had such a terrible time trying to compile yesterday that I must have created another one and inadvertently left it in when I compiled.) If you use the Menu button from any room and then use the Resume button, I think that you'll go back to the room that you just left. ::fingers crossed::

Oh one more thing..You know the frame that says ShadowHunter Plugins...it may be my machine...but the whole word isn't there..U only see Plu....I have a smaller screen I can only view 1024*780--so that could be me there...

I seem to have ShadowHunter mentioned on 4 frames. If you have the time, can you let me know which frame? I probably need to resize all of the frames to 800 x 600. :roll:

Thanks so much for all of your bug reporting. I guess that I should delay uploading the uncompiled files until some of these bugs are squashed.... :(
~Cleo
Imari
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Ah yes, indeed the screen resolution changes when I load a saved game, that's correct - just checked it.
Well, maybe someone will have a solution for the saving and loading :)

I have been able to see all text as far as I remember.

However, I have the feeling the the credits are not shown to the end before it goes back to the main screen.
Mystery

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:28 pm

I have that last screen on a timer, Mystery. Perhaps I should give it another second or two.... The Lyberodoggy and ShadowHunter followed by some leafy branches are the last lines of the credits.

[P.S. - Thanks to the mod who consolidated my previous posts.]
Imari
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:29 pm

In the project properties -> execute some code every time a game is loaded add the changedisplayresolution code.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks, Lyberodggy! I was stumped again.... imagine that? :wink:

I added this to the project properties -

But I did not get the result that I was expecting. The screen goes black for a second and is clearly at 800 x 600 and then goes immediately back to the Menu screen. No game starts. ... so I'm stumped again.

There's nothing else on the Load hotspot, other than
Action.PopupLoadGame
and nothing in the Save hotspot other than
Action.PopupSaveGame
Last edited by Imari on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imari
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 pm

Imari wrote:I have that last screen on a timer, Mystery. Perhaps I should give it another second or two.... The Lyberodoggy and ShadowHunter followed by some leafy branches are the last lines of the credits.

[P.S. - Thanks to the mod who consolidated my previous posts.]

Blame the merging on me ;) I left the 3rd post because it's very long :)

Well, this is the last I see on the credits (partial screenshot), just before the game goes back to the main screen.

Mystery

Postby saturn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:46 pm

I tried the link but it has reached the download limit... :( Can you reupload it please?
-Hey, Saturn! We are leaving!
-Gimme 5 minutes!
-Oh, and tell Rutger so!
-4 minutes!
saturn

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Mystery,
Thanks for the screen shot. I've added a few more seconds onto that frame as well as a Menu button so that one can opt out of reviewing the credits. One bug, hopefully squashed.... :P

saturn,
Let me try to fix a few things and I'll reload it, thanks.
Imari
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Imari wrote:Thanks, Lyberodggy! I was stumped again.... imagine that? :wink:

I added this to the project properties -

But I did not get the result that I was expecting. The screen goes black for a second and is clearly at 800 x 600 and then goes immediately back to the Menu screen. No game starts. ... so I'm stumped again.

There's nothing else on the Load hotspot, other than
Action.PopupLoadGame
and nothing in the Save hotspot other than
Action.PopupSaveGame

Calling the dogs again ;) Hopefully there will be a fix for that problem :)
Mystery

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:29 pm

I had your source and I could make tests on it but now I have formatted my disk and have nothing at all... I don't even have installed AM!!!

Did you try the other command?
I mean just Action.ChangeDisplayResolution 3 without the OnLoadGame...

Edit:

From the reference:
Allows you to have the screen size (display resolution) be automatically changed the next time that the player loads a saved game. You will NOT see any changes until the player loads a saved game. The screen size is automatically restored when the player quits the game. The syntax is:

Action.ChangeDisplayResolutionOnLoadGame MODE_NUMBER

where MODE_NUMBER is the number that identifies the screen mode. The available modes are:

0 no changes
1 for 640 x 480
2 for 800 x 600
3 for 1024 x 768 (not recommended)

Use this function if you want to replace the Initial Screen (the start-up window) with a custom "Main Menu" frame that contains a "Load game" button, and that allows to change the display resolution when the player loads a saved game. To implement this function, go to the properties of the "Load game" button, and type it in the VBScript text field. Use this function in conjunction with the "Action.PopupLoadGame" command, and the "Bypass Initial Screen" option that is under the "Advanced" tab of the "Project Properties" window.

That means that Action.ChangeDisplayResolutionOnLoadGame should be called before loading the game. So you have to either use the every time a game is loaded window along with Action.ChangeDisplayResolution or add the Action.ChangeDisplayResolutionOnLoadGame command in your load button.
Last edited by Lyberodoggy on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:32 pm

No I did not, Lyberodoggy, but I'll change it now. Thanks.

Well.... d'uh.... I think that I just figured out why the saved game reverts from and to the Menu frame. The demo is set to save to an INI, but by returning to the Menu frame and using the Popup, it's saving the menu frame.... I think... anyway.
Imari
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:34 pm

I edited my previous post, but you were faster.
Have a look...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Imari » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Actually, I've tried both ways, Lyberodoggy. I've recompiled with the few minor fixes that I was able to make and it's here --->
http://rapidshare.com/files/284967532/AdventureQuest_demo.zip

People can download and help squash the bugs. :P
Last edited by Imari on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imari
VIP

Postby mercedes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Hey Imari :)

..for the text I was speaking of that says Shadow hunters name..is in really big writing..and i think its about the 3rd frame in..--Before u start game

I seen some threads talking about this awhile ago with rezolutions..

I don't know if these threads will help..

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4622&highlight=resolution

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1403&highlight=resolution

Shouldn't that be in the Load Button.. as well perhaps as Project properties..? Also disable run in a window..

Edit***I see u tried that ...:P

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Imari » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks for the links, mercedes, and for testing. I'll do my best to figure things out and will reupload a fixed version if I'm able.
Imari
VIP

Postby 3dgamer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:17 am

Hi Imari,

Great job!!! :) The atmosphere really draws you in. I really like the "extras" that you created for it like the visible portal viewer, the viewer, and the journal. You put the elements and objects together nicely to create the scenery and mood. Nice choice of music, too.

All in all a great demo to show off what AM and plugins can do. :)

Only a couple of things I noticed: sometimes I could hover over the inventory to activate it and sometimes I had to click. The first time this happened, I thought it might have been broken, but then saw I could click to activate it. Just thought you might like to know.

Also, a couple of the rooms/scenes I got turned around re: direction. For instance, when coming out of the last room where the lady is, you come out, but then you are facing a different direction then you think you should be. Same thing near the fountain room and the bridge. Other than that, I could get around fine. :)

I tend to need more time to read than perhaps other players, so some of the text screen messages seem to stay up too short for me. I had to reload the game for the first text screen and had to revisit a couple of places for the others, but other than that, the text was very helpful with getting around in the game.

Well, other than those few things, everything else was very well done ! Thanks for taking the time to do a demo like this because it was really helpful and ended up being a tut as well. :)

Take care!
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby saturn » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:35 pm

I played it. Excelent graphics and sound but i got a huge load of errors concerning particles. I clicked ok couple of times and i managed to move on to the game but from the point where you use the bottle i got them on almost every frame and after each click i did...
-Hey, Saturn! We are leaving!
-Gimme 5 minutes!
-Oh, and tell Rutger so!
-4 minutes!
saturn

Postby Imari » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:06 am

sometimes I could hover over the inventory to activate it and sometimes I had to click. The first time this happened, I thought it might have been broken, but then saw I could click to activate it. Just thought you might like to know.

I dislike having the inventory continue to drop down when I move my cursor over the black bar. Because of that, I deliberately have hidden the inventory every frame. One needs to click on the black bar to make it visible, but once it's clicked on for the current frame, it will drop down on hover. :P

Also, a couple of the rooms/scenes I got turned around re: direction.

The frame were an afterthought, really just throw away scenes used as vehicles for the components, so I did not bother to make complete sets for every scene.... though you criticism is a good one. I should probably have spent the time to make the demo scenes more "whole".

I tend to need more time to read than perhaps other players, so some of the text screen messages seem to stay up too short for me. I had to reload the game for the first text screen and had to revisit a couple of places for the others, but other than that, the text was very helpful with getting around in the game.

I agree and have changed this. Now you can back out of a close-up by either clicking the enlarged item or by clicking the center of the lower bar.

i got a huge load of errors concerning particles. I clicked ok couple of times and i managed to move on to the game but from the point where you use the bottle i got them on almost every frame

I think that there must be something that I needed to add to the configuration files for the installation, though I'm not sure. I've written to ShadowHunter and perhaps he will be able to help when he has the time. Have you tried out the Particle+ plugin? Does the demo for it run okay on your computer?

As soon as I can get a block of time, I'm going to do small tutorials on how to create the component parts and will upload the raw AM file. Thanks again to all who tested.
Imari
VIP

Postby mercedes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:44 am

Hey Imari...for the inventory...you can choose 'Right click gives u access to the inventory' or under inventory options.. use a static inventory..I also like to use drop down..but take all checkmarks out..and still have right click--.[anywhere on the frame]--opens inventory. This way u right click for inventory and u left click[anywhere on the frame]-- to get rid of it--:)--Not sure if u tried it or not..I played around with it one day..and that was my two favorite ways..~ But i see what u mean..when u 'hover' over it..This way with right and left clicks..u can get rid of it...

You would think without checkmarks in the options..it wouldn't appear progressively..but it does..:?
Peace
Last edited by mercedes on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby toadfrogs » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:23 am

I see preety cool graphics on your game!!
toadfrogs

Postby Imari » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:23 am

mercedes, I don't recall trying that. Thanks for the pointer. :D

toadfrogs, glad that you liked the graphics and thanks for testing.
Imari
VIP

Next

Return to New Games Announcements