My first game

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

My first game

Postby Kat12 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:32 am

Hi All,
Here's my first game. I can't wait to learn more!
Hope you like it (and remember, I'm new here, ) :wink: :oops: :shock:
Kat

oops; I keep getting an error message when I try to upload the game, telling me the AM page has been moved.

Kat
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:08 am

You might try uploading it to a free online storage site and put the url on this thread.

Looking forward to seeing your game! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:31 am

Yeah. Try mediafire or rapidshare
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:31 am

Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Kat12 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:55 am

Here's a link to my game (for PC) http://files.filefront.com/OurCampexe/; ... einfo.html

I'm glad filefront is up and running again; now I'll have a chance to check it out.

There's an error message as soon as you try to run my game, because I tried to use Particle Plus, couldn't get it to work, and then took it out of the game because the only time PP came up was when I was playing the game, lol. I know there must be a hotspot somewhere in the game that I forgot to take out, where I tried to get PP to work, but I can't find it for the life of me. If you hit "ok" at the error message the game runs fine.

I hope you like my first game.

Does anyone use Brand Worlds to make Sprites?http://www.brandworlds.com/index.html

Thanks,
kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:27 am

Hi Kat,

I liked your images, animation, and choice of music! :)

However, I could only get as far as the 2nd screen. The image of the sunset over the water with the rippling affect. Was there more? :?

Looking good so far, keep it up!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:47 am

Hi Kat :D

It sounds like u are saying that u tried PP, but then didn't use it--Took out procedure....but are now getting error messages..? If so..

Check the properties of your frames..Frame's Properties..Maybe there's still something in the Advanced TAB..?

I"ll try this game out tomorrow..!~ Sounds good..:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby Kat12 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi Reneuend, thanks! Yes, there's a lot more, whenever the cursor changes shape just click on it. Hint: If you're at the scene where it says "Welcome to Goulais Bay, Lake Superior", click on the sun and it will take you to another almost identical scene. Click on the sun again for a message, and then click down near the bottom toward the left of the screen for an arrow that changes direction. The game will take you all around our property at camp. It should work right to the very end, where I put some credits.
I made sure to change the cursor away from the default cursor every time there's something clikckable. You can also click on the questions in some screens to get the answer and the next question. I tried to make it so it wasn't too easy or too hard to manouver; some of the hotspots are small and some are really big. Let me know if you can find your way around.
Thanks,
Kathy

Hi Mercedes, I hope you like it.
Yes, I tried PP; I followed the instructions on Shadow Hunter's website and got as far as the part where we make a hotspot and then run the screen to call up PP. It wouldn't call it up. So I removed the hotspot and continued on with the game. Then when I was finished, I played it and then the PP main screen kept coming up right along with the game. I went back to Shadowhunters website and discovered that will happen if we forget to remove a hotspot...I went through the game frame by frame, hotspot by hotspot...I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything in the advanced tab either. So I just went to the properties main menu and removed PP (by removing the checkmark beside it's name in plugins).

Thanks,
Kat
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:25 am

A very cute game for a first try and good use of different tools!
It made me wish I were at the lake side in the sun! 8)

Now you just need to add a little bit more complex puzzles in your next game! :)

Thanks for sharing! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:07 am

Thank you so much Reneuend!
I am having so much fun learning the different aspects of Game Maker, and all of the other programs I need to learn along with it.
I know the game isn't really a game, more like an interactive story. I'll have to learn how to do puzzles that fit the games; I don't like puzzles very much, but I dont' mind games that have puzzles that make sense in the game...like having to collect food and build fires to survive; things like that. I hate when I play adventure games and all of the sudden I have to do shooter type puzzles; I suck at those, lol. Poor eye-hand coordination.
I make babydolls to look like real babies and sell them on ebay; I want to make a game where the dolls come alive for my friends who also make dolls. The baby in the game is a doll I made last year. I just started making them last year. I have one on ebay now; she's not my favorite...I don't know if she'll sell or not. Oh well, lol.
I'm babbling...must be sleep deprivation.
Thanks so much for playing my first game.
Take care,
Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:46 am

You mean Adventure Maker...

I played your game. It was good, but I got some errors about the P+ plugin
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Imari » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Like Lyberodoggy, I received the error messages about the Particle+ plug-in as the game loaded. The game itself seemed to play without error though afterwards.

A very cute game. Completely off the wall, but I liked it very much. Lovely garden.... and your dad must really love you to have agreed to play his part. :P
Imari
VIP

Postby Kat12 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:56 am

Hi Lyberdoggy and Imari,
Thank you!
I know there's a problem with an error message; I tried to use particle plus but then I changed my mind and dis-enabled it. I looked frame by frame to see if I forgot to delete a hotspot (from trying PP) but I couldn't find it. I emailed Shadowhunter but I haven't heard from him yet.

My Dad is a good sport, but I had the pics already and did the story to match the pics...my parents were always frowning at me because they don't like having their pictures taken, so I had to work their frowns into the story, lol. I showed my Dad and he thought it was funny.

The baby in the story is actually a doll; I make and sell dolls on ebay, and that was one of them. I want to make a game for my dolly friends (other ladies who make dolls), where the dolls come to life.

I spent the last few days trying to learn how to use Bryce 6, Daz, and Carrara. I'm having a blast with Bryce; I am really looking forward to making my next game.

I'm having a hard time posing the characters in Daz and Carrara...the arms and legs get all twisty on me, lol. I'm making pretzel people.

I would love to make a 3rd person game but I don't think I"ll have any luck posing the characters to look like the sprites in the game. I wish AM had more options sprite wise...even if it was just a basic family...man, woman, child, you know? I tried using the male sprite that came with the game on some of my Bryce renders but he doesn't show up where i put him, he enters the screen sort of up in the air, way to the left and above of where I put the hotspot. And he gets smaller as he gets closer to me, and bigger as he gets further away, and I think it should be vice versa.

I tried to animate Victoria 4 and I laughed so hard! She was walking ok but when she turns her leg kind of goes way up and out...sort of reminds me of a clown walk. There's so much to learn, lol.

Take care,
Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby mercedes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:09 am

Kathy...You also checked the Frame's Properties as well--in the advanced tab..or just the hotspots advanced..?

Well, i hope it gets figured out for you..!~ :D

Edit***
I see u said you did..sorry...:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby Imari » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:07 am

Hi Kat12,

I also find that it's too easy to make pretzel people with the tool icons. :P I'd suggest this --- Go to your Pose folder in Poser and look for a pose for any figure that approximates the pose that you like, then select the BODY of your figure, and apply the pose. You can then use the Parameter Dials to selectively move each body part. Also in your Pose folder, you should see a folder called Walk Designer. To open the Walk Designer or the Parameter dials, click on Window on the tool bar at the top of the page and you'll find them on the drop-down list.

Good luck!
~C
Imari
VIP

Postby 3dgamer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:18 am

Kat12 wrote:I spent the last few days trying to learn how to use Bryce 6, Daz, and Carrara. I'm having a blast with Bryce; I am really looking forward to making my next game.

I'm having a hard time posing the characters in Daz and Carrara...the arms and legs get all twisty on me, lol. I'm making pretzel people.

If you are using Carrara, Probably the best way to pose a character is using the rotation and move tool as oppose to relying on the kinematics to get you the right pose.

For instance, if you want to have a character hold his or her hand in front of them, first highlight the shoulder and rotate that forward. Then highlight the elbow and rotate that both up and then inward. Then rotate the hand using the wrist. That is a more controlled approach. If you start at the wrist and try to work backwards, then you can get into trouble. :)

You can also use poses in Carrara, just like in Poser, like Imari suggested. So there are a couple of ways of going about it.

Well, HTH. :)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Kat12 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:00 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice.
Imari, I don't have Poser; I just have the free Daz, the Carrara 7 express, and I did buy Bryce 6.1...I love it.

3Dgamer, thanks for the advice; I was starting from the bottom and twisting everything, lol.

I managed to do the broken egg with yoke inside tutorial (Bryce) and got an OK looking broken egg with yoke; however, I messed the coloring up toward the end, somehow.

Have a great day!
Kat
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby 3dgamer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:21 am

Kat12 wrote:3Dgamer, thanks for the advice; I was starting from the bottom and twisting everything, lol....

Yep, that'll definitely create a pretzel factory! :D

Glad to help.

Have a nice one.
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby ZeornWarlock » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Kat12 wrote:Imari, I don't have Poser; I just have the free Daz

DAZ uses the system that Poser does. Just look in your Pose folder for appropriate poses. I am sure DAZ provided you some poses for Victoria or Michael. Like Imari stated, select the whole body of the figure. (Not on the figure itself, but from the scene folder on your left.) By the way, to bridge your DAZ scene with Bryce, you need to open Bryce first, then bridge to DAZ to create the scene and go back to Bryce to render.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby 3dgamer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:38 am

Just played your game...very sweet. :) It is a nice way to showcase your property. The landscaping is very homey and peaceful. Compliments to the landscapers [mom and dad ;)]

Kat12 wrote:My Dad is a good sport, but I had the pics already and did the story to match the pics...my parents were always frowning at me because they don't like having their pictures taken, so I had to work their frowns into the story, lol. I showed my Dad and he thought it was funny.

Yeah, it worked. ;)

Kat12 wrote:The baby in the story is actually a doll

Of course I let out a gasp when I first saw it. :o Thanks for the clarification ...I was hoping that a mere object did not take priority over a baby...even in a game. :)

But that shows that the baby doll was really well done. Beautiful craftsmanship!!

Kat12 wrote: I make and sell dolls on ebay, and that was one of them. I want to make a game for my dolly friends (other ladies who make dolls), where the dolls come to life.

Kat, if you don't know about this already, I would highly recommend studying Dare Wright's book series entitled, "Edith, the Lonely Doll" about a doll that comes to life. This series was critically acclaimed way back when and I know that it profoundly changed the way I saw 3D objects and photography at a very, very young age (I have to say, this series awakened me to what photography really was). A few years back I found that the books were for sale again and bought some and it brought back all those fond memories. But the books are definitely a work of art...I can see something like them being turned into an interactive game.

Dare Wright Books -

1) Her Official Site - http://www.darewright.com/ - Has links to AMAZON "Look Inside" book versions. Please view those...they are a treat.

2) The Lonely Doll (wiki) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lonely_Doll

3) Dare Wright's 'Lonely Doll' (NPR Interview - 1/5/2005) - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4258856- Shares about the author's sad and disturbing life as a child which was one basis for some of her books.

4) View Cover Gallery - http://www.npr.org/templates/gallery/index.php?gallery=5262406

Btw, there were two items that I picked up in the game that I never used, but I did make it to the end okay. Did I miss something?

Nice job! :)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Return to New Games Announcements