The Space Cadet

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby reneuend » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:31 am

You keep getting better and better with your graphics. The navigation is great except in one location...please don't make me describe it...its late here and my memory is foggy! :?

I didn't finish the game...I'm missing something...hopefully I'll figure it out when I can see straight! :shock:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 am

Hmmm, if you can remember which location it was, please share.
Okay, try again when you are rested, and if you get completely stuck, let me know :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Hey there..Ok i'm about to dl this now..and check it out..:D Can't wait!~..

I'll post back if any problems..:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Okay, thanks :D
As I said there may be still bugs.
Btw, I'd like to have a feedback specifically on the difficulty level of the image puzzle. I didn't want to make it easy, but of course I want players to be able to solve it.
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Ok here are a few things that I noticed..:D

I'll start with the Image puzzle..;

It's not easy..its actually time consuming..lol..I kept having to go back and look at picture..I had forgotten I could..:D..

The only thing about it..Is the reset button..If u accidentally place a square somewhere else..which is kind of easy..You have to reset it..and it resets the whole thing...
I think I would have preferred to have the type of puzzle where u click on a piece and it exchanges with another piece..so its only one move at a time..--not a slider..!~..lol..Hate those..

Ok now for bugs..I had to exit the game because of this one..;

After u place the Chrystal, I saw that the arrow let me go to the guy again--[Green guy head]..and the option to talk is no longer there, and u can't back out of screen..so ur stuck there..--Not sure if I clicked it twice or not..I just know one frame to visit him, no longer has option to talk..and u can't back out..

The portal where u visit the other green guy with fancy shorts on there..[:lol:]--I lmao when i saw him...

If u go to that portal by accident..cause I'm not one to write numbers down..I just hit the numbers..see what portal it took me too..
If u go to him by accident..you can't back out of that one without talking to him first~

The portal button where the gray screen is.--[where u enter buttons to go from portal to portal..]--Is there supposed to be an image on that..or only sound..?

I'm not done yet..I had to exit out..I might have to re-start it..I'll do it first thing tomorrow..:D:D

Also best for me to do the game a few times--Finish it..Cause right now..I was more playing it then testing it..This way i can test it...

Ttus..!~:D

Btw...really cool graphics..!~
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm

The only thing about it..Is the reset button..If u accidently place a square somewhere else..which is kind of easy..You have to reset it..and it resets the whole thing...
I think I would have preferred to have the type of puzzle where u click on a piece and it exchanges with another piece..so its only one move at a time..--not a slider..!~..lol..Hate those..

The decision to do it this way was taken upon my scripting skills :P

After u place the Chrystal, I saw that the arrow let me go to the guy again--[Green guy head]..and the option to talk is no longer there, and u can't back out of screen..so ur stuck there..--Not sure if I clicked it twice or not..I just know one frame to visit him, no longer has option to talk..and u can't back out..

You are right, I have to fix this, thanks :)
I'll compile a new version with this fixed tonight for future beta testers.

The portal where u visit the other green guy with fancy shorts on..[Laughing]If u go to that portal by accident..cause I'm not one to write numbers down..I just hit the numbers..see what portal it took me too..
If u go to him by accident..you can't back out of that one without talking to him..

Hmmm, what is bad about the need to talk to him?
Or do you mean that you have already talked to him and then accidentally go back there?
Btw, you can drag your schedule, and your factory code paper onto the portal control device (onto the screen/monitor part above the buttons).

The portal button where the gray screen is.--[where u enter buttons to go from portal to portal..]--Is there supposed to be an image on that..or only sound..?

Only sound. But as mentioned above, you can drag your schedule and code paper onto the screen part of it :)

I'm not done yet..I had to exit out..I might have to re-start it..I'll do it first thing tomorrow..Very HappyVery Happy

Sorry that you had to restart :( Maybe you should save from time to time so that if there is a bug, you can continue from your last saved game. :)

Btw...really cool graphics..!~

Thank you :D

UPDATE:
I've uploaded a first fixed beta version. The download link is available from this post:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... 9638#29638
Mystery

Postby juhuwoorps » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:24 pm

I just have played a short bit of the game because lack of time, but one thing i noticed is that the sound is really silent. I have to pull up my speakers to 100% so that I can hear something. And then comes a video wich is so loud that my speakers are going to explode.

That's all so far. Also the navigation is s bit confusing at some frames.

I'm going to play it tommorrow morning and let you know which frames.

Greatings juhuwoorps
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Thanks juhu :)
Hmmm, that's very strange, because I made the settings so that all sounds are equally loud on my laptop (and I have the sound at 50%)...

Could anyone else make a feedback on that point? It would be interesting to know how it is on other machines...
Mystery

Postby juhuwoorps » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 pm

Oh and just a little tip for all beta games: it is very helpful if in a beta version if the frame name is shown on the frames.
This is not much work and you can delete it very slow when the games is debugged, but it helps a lot say where which error/bug appears.

Especialy if you have a lot of frames or similar frames.
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby FireOrange » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:51 am

Really nice game so far. :)

I found a bug: If you put the coconut on the altar and leave the room without using the hammer on the coconut, the coconut disappears from the altar, if you enter it again. And then you can`t get another coconut.

And again I miss the music, if I load an old savegame. :(
FireOrange

Postby Mystery » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:56 am

Thanks for the feedback FireOrange :D
I wish there was an option to start music only in case when a saved game is loaded (and not only combined with "when the project starts or when a saved game is loaded"). Got to think about a workaround.
And of course I'm going to fix the disappearing "coconut".
Let me know if you find anything else :)
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:44 am

Could anyone else make a feedback on that point? It would be interesting to know how it is on other machines...

yes..I had the same issue with sound, same thing as Juhu..

I'm gonna play it now with the new game link u posted..:D

Hmmm, what is bad about the need to talk to him?
Or do you mean that you have already talked to him and then accidentally go back there?
Btw, you can drag your schedule, and your factory code paper onto the portal control device (onto the screen/monitor part above the buttons).

It's not that it was bad..I only mention it cause I'm one of those players who enters in numbers and presses buttons a hundred miles an hour...I do it for testing..and..I just naturally do that..lol..
So i was stuck going there a few times with no option to back out from him--having already spoken to him..I was basically trying to find another portal..

I never once dragged my cards to that portal-box..dragged it everywhere else though...even to the woman who keeps telling me to leave her alone..:x..

Oh and SOL... funny...:D..:lol:

The decision to do it this way was taken upon my scripting skills

Ya..that little puzzler is the perfect example of the puzzles i have seen..It reminded me of wanting to ask how to do that here in the forums..so i'm going to ask how..cause those are my favourites..:D

K...gonna go and play newer version of ur game!~..:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:47 pm

yes..I had the same issue with sound, same thing as Juhu..

Hmmm, in that case I'll have to try to get access to another machine, because on mine, it would be just guessing (as I said, on my laptop all sounds are about equally loud).

It's not that it was bad..I only mention it cause I'm one of those players who enters in numbers and presses buttons a hundred miles an hour...I do it for testing..and..I just naturally do that..lol..
So i was stuck going there a few times with no option to back out from him--having already spoken to him..I was basically trying to find another portal..

I see. Gonna try to think about tweaking it with variables.

I never once dragged my cards to that portal-box..dragged it everywhere else though...even to the woman who keeps telling me to leave her alone..Mad..

I was assuming that players would figure they could put the schedule and code paper there. Plus there is a hotspot which on mouse click tells that you can put them there.
Gotta think about it...

Oh and SOL... funny...Very Happy..Laughing

Yeah, SOL for solar speed :lol:

Ya..that little puzzler is the perfect example of the puzzles i have seen..It reminded me of wanting to ask how to do that here in the forums..so i'm going to ask how..cause those are my favourites..Very Happy

I've worked 4 hours on that script. I was also thinking about possibilities to let the player pick up images that they have already put, but I couldn't come up with a script for that :P The script would have had to remember which image was put on which hotspot.
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:00 am

Ok I got a chance to finish it today..:D..yayy for meee..

The puzzle at the end wasn't easy..lol..It was challenging and fun.. The signs on the big thing..throws u off a bit..Took me a minute there..:D

Ok a couple of things I noted; I only mention them in case they are or aren't related..supposed to happen..kind of thing..

The lady at the beginning was jumpy..[Not sure if that's supposed to happen..?] The very beginning transmitter..I assume it supposed to be..

The puzzle where u enter in the chess pieces..The boards don't match..One starts with white squares, the other starts with black..?..I only mention it case u hadn't noticed..

I had to punch in those numbers a few times..[Chess placements]
Which was 1 5 3 ? Skipping over a column..--Again though they landed on black..It didn't work the first 2 times i clicked those..

I'm able to get to those portals without dragging the cards..Sometimes I can drag any card and it take me to any portal..In other words..doens't recognize the cards..That's not a huge deal though...Just thought i'd mention it..

When i leave the place with the gate..and I come back..the gate is locked..but the back button takes me to the portal anyways--inside where my comrade is..
Not sure if that was intended..I thought it might be..Cause i no longer have the card so..it lets me in..

There is a few portals..I didn't visit..I think..

I visited;
Black Market
Gate Portal
Ashpoto..
Strange building---got nothing from it..
The place with signs

The items I ended with were;

The stick--used
Schedule--used
Portal Pass--used..however not needed

Plus there is a hotspot which on mouse click tells that you can put them there.

I hadn't actually noticed that..lol..

Yeah, SOL for solar speed

I so thought that was meant for something else..:lol:

I've worked 4 hours on that script. I was also thinking about possibilities to let the player pick up images that they have already put, but I couldn't come up with a script for that Razz The script would have had to remember which image was put on which hotspot.

This time it was easier..I had initially forgot i could look at the picture again..so that was my bad..This time it went by easily..:D..

So did i complete it properly...or was it luck..?..did i miss anything..Just curious..:D

Thanks so much..I had fun playing it..!~

Btw..The sound..wasn't a huge issue..I just turned up speakers..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:43 pm

The puzzle at the end wasn't easy..lol..It was challenging and fun.. The signs on the big thing..throws u off a bit..Took me a minute there..:D

As long as it's possible to figure out it's good - shouldn't be too easy :)

The lady at the beginning was jumpy..[Not sure if that's supposed to happen..?] The very beginning transmitter..I assume it supposed to be..

Yes, I didn't animate her turning around, so this is supposed to be like that.

The puzzle where u enter in the chess pieces..The boards don't match..One starts with white squares, the other starts with black..?..I only mention it case u hadn't noticed..

I had to punch in those numbers a few times..[Chess placements]
Which was 1 5 3 ? Skipping over a column..--Again though they landed on black..It didn't work the first 2 times i clicked those..

Only the position of the chess pieces matters.
I'm going to double check that puzzle.
The correct code would be 1 5 3 7 (vertically), skipping a column each.
EDIT: I've found a little variable issue with it, and fixed it - will be okay in the next version :)

I'm able to get to those portals without dragging the cards..Sometimes I can drag any card and it take me to any portal..In other words..doens't recognize the cards..That's not a huge deal though...Just thought i'd mention it..

I'm not sure what you mean with that, can you explain a bit more in detail?
Or do you mean that it's not necessary to put down your schedule or factory code? Then it's okay. You don't have to (some places you might already remember) - it's just a possibility to have a closer look at them :)

When i leave the place with the gate..and I come back..the gate is locked..but the back button takes me to the portal anyways--inside where my comrade is..
Not sure if that was intended..I thought it might be..Cause i no longer have the card so..it lets me in..

This is intended to be so. The portal has been set, and this is your chance to get back to your comrade if you have to leave the mountain lab in case you are missing a needed item :)

There is a few portals..I didn't visit..I think..
I visited;
Black Market
Gate Portal
Ashpoto..
Strange building---got nothing from it..
The place with signs

The items I ended with were;

The stick--used
Schedule--used
Portal Pass--used..however not needed

There are the following locations:
* The planet surface with the monster
* Inside the house with the chess board
* City with the central portal from where you get to the following locations:
* Desert
* Spacestation (red herring, just a place you can check out, but not necessary)
* Chamirra City surrounded by the sea
* Ashyapolo's Garden (3 visits necessary at different stages of the game)
* Black Market (2 visits necessary at different stages of the game)
* Factory (should be only accessible from the central portal after you get the factory code from Ashyapolo)
* Mountains (where your comrade is)
After that it's defined where you go at the end of the game.

I hadn't actually noticed that..lol..

I'm going to think about a cue so that it will be clearer to the players that they can put their schedule and factory code there.

This time it was easier..I had initially forgot i could look at the picture again..so that was my bad..This time it went by easily..:D..

Players can take a screenshot :)
Btw, I have now cropped the image so that only the parts are shown that are also on the puzzle pieces. Should be easier in the next version :)

So did i complete it properly...or was it luck..?..did i miss anything..Just curious..:D

I don't know - you say that you didn't use the factory code, which you should have used. And based on my scripts you should only be able to go there after getting it.
Plus, I need a more detailed explanation of
I'm able to get to those portals without dragging the cards..Sometimes I can drag any card and it take me to any portal..In other words..doens't recognize the cards..

Thanks so much..I had fun playing it..!~

Thank you very much for testing and your detailed feedback :D

Btw..The sound..wasn't a huge issue..I just turned up speakers..:)

Okay, but I'll still try to change it somehow :)
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Mystery's puzzles are always VERY challenging for me! :shock:
Luckily, I have a daughter who starting playing adventure games at 3 years old and has moved up to playing all of the Nancy Drew games, which is what Mystery's puzzles remind me of! Anyway, she comes to my aid quite frequently :P

(update) I noticed I just made my 1000th post! Where's the balloons?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Hehe, goodie :D

Please let me know what issue(s) you find apart from the already mentioned ones.

Here is what I have updated/fixed since beta version 2:
* Fixed a variable issue with the chess puzzle
* Fixed the disappearing "coconut" issue (in beta version 1& 2 you can still use the "axe" even if it has disappeared ;))
* Changed a variable to make sure that you must get the factory code
* Cropped the puzzle image to make it easier (now it only shows the parts that are also on the puzzle pieces)

Still to change:
* Make it clearer that the player can put down the schedule and factory code onto the screen part of the portal control in the city
* Changing the sound volume
* Finding a workaround to start music in loaded saved game.
* Allow the player to leave the Ashyapolo screen (when you visit the 2nd time) without talking to him if they go back accidentally

EDIT
@reneuend
Here you go :D

Last edited by Mystery on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Ha! Thanks for the balloons!

Load and start music issue:
You might be able to create your own "save and load game" icons and use keyguard's keypress to make a call to the custom save/load. This will allow you to create a variable that will tell you when they load that the music needs to be played. I haven't tried this but it seems like it would work.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Sounds too complicated :(
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:31 pm

I'll test it when I have a little time!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:56 pm

I'm not sure what you mean with that, can you explain a bit more in detail?
Or do you mean that it's not necessary to put down your schedule or factory code? Then it's okay. You don't have to (some places you might already remember) - it's just a possibility to have a closer look at them :)

Yes, that's right..for the most part..I guessed the codes and I didn't need papers...:)

There are the following locations:
* The planet surface with the monster--I'm not sure I remember this one?
* Factory (should be only accessible from the central portal after you get the factory code from Ashyapolo)--I would like to test this again, to see if i can't get to there just by entering the code...

Btw, I have now cropped the image so that only the parts are shown that are also on the puzzle pieces. Should be easier in the next version :)

The only row persay i had a hard time with was the trees..they were a bit difficult..to see..All the rest of the rows were fine..:)

I don't know - you say that you didn't use the factory code, which you should have used. And based on my scripts you should only be able to go there after getting it.

How's this..When u update this next version..give me all factory codes..[this way i don't guess..] and I'll test them that way..Cause I can't remember what they were..and i"m sure i was able to visit all places without cards..or speaking to Ashyapolo's..

I play games quickly sometimes..and i ended up in places..and do things..So next time around, if u want..give me the numbers..I don't remember afterwards what's what..What numbers are for what locations..kind of thing..This way i can keep track..

Thanks for response!~..:D

Ohh..Two more things Mystery..You know when u lay the Chrystal down..? and then u lay something else down to get the card?...I had trouble with that..Perhaps there could be just a question mark-[no message]..where u lay card down..Not so much the Chrystal..but the card..It wouldn't work..and I dragged like crazy..finally it worked..I forgot to mention that..!~..:D
When he explains what to do..it goes by quickly..so I hadn't read it quiet right..I figured I would just drag near her..I think it ended up I dragged near the blackish blocks..which is a far off to the right..

The hand that represents hotspot for punching 280..are off a bit..Where 2 is it's like I'm hitting 1 a bit..Do u know what I mean..?..This isn't a big deal..Just thought id mention it..in case someone else does..your not surprised..It's because of the hand i think..It's rather big..maybe..?

I had that when I used that hand too..in my last game..anyways thought i'd mention it..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:29 pm

One of the puzzles is to understand the schedule and factory code :P
You can of course try to punch in numbers randomly, but this is a much worse alternative to figuring out the logic behind the schedule (and factory code) ;)

* The planet surface with the monster--I'm not sure I remember this one?

That's when you punch in the code in the spaceship and you arrive to the planet. ;)

Ohh..Two more things Mystery..You know when u lay the Chrystal down..? and then u lay something else down to get the card?...I had trouble with that..Perhaps there could be just a question mark-[no message]..where u lay card down..Not so much the Chrystal..but the card..It wouldn't work..and I dragged like crazy..finally it worked..I forgot to mention that..!~..Very Happy
When he explains what to do..it goes by quickly..so I hadn't read it quiet right..I figured I would just drag near her..I think it ended up I dragged near the blackish blocks..which is a far off to the right..

The guy tells you where to put down the crystal, and then you should just grab the special ID card, no need to drag anything.
This card is then used in Chamirra City (the island city surrounded by the sea).
I'm going to add there a bit more time to read that part of his explanation. However, you should be able to go back to him and re-do the convo.

The hand that represents hotspot for punching 280..are off a bit..Where 2 is it's like I'm hitting 1 a bit..Do u know what I mean..?

Yes, I've noticed that, too, however the hotspots are correctly placed over the buttons. Might be the hand cursor...

EDIT
I've changed a few little things, did some testing myself, and am currently uploading the official version 1.
Check out the first post for the new link :)
Mystery

Postby General Failure » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Say, did you ever think about a german version? Not that I think it's really necessary to do so, as the english version is also nice. But I know that you're a native german speaker, so why not offering it to german players who only speak german? (and beside we could nominate it for the fanadventure of the year 2010 next January) ;-)

I'd really like to see more 1st-person adventures in german language.
General Failure

Postby Mystery » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:17 pm

It's interesting that you say that, because I was just thinking this afternoon, that with using scripted dialogues as I did in this game (instead of using the Dialogue Wizard), it would be probably easy to create multi-language games :lol:

I need to do a little fix in this game anyway, and maybe support for German (and maybe more) will be incorporated :)

Btw, the link to the XVid codec on retroadvantures.de is wrong ;)
Last edited by Mystery on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mystery

Postby FireOrange » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:06 pm

I agree with ne... General Failure, a german version would be great. :)
FireOrange

Postby General Failure » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:34 pm

Mystery wrote:Btw, the link to the XVid codec on retroadvantures.de is wrong ;)

Thanks, fixed.
General Failure

Postby mercedes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Funny I never got any mail....for the thread...:?

Is this still in testing faze Mystery..?...wasn't sure if it was released or not..Is there a newer link... Do u still need some testers..?
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Here's a part of the answer:
Mystery wrote:EDIT
I've changed a few little things, did some testing myself, and am currently uploading the official version 1.
Check out the first post for the new link :)

And here is the other:
Mystery wrote:I need to do a little fix in this game anyway, and maybe support for German (and maybe more) will be incorporated.

So there will be an updated version (probably in February). The little fix is concerning the "coconuts" that can be picked up multiple times.

Of course if you find any issues with the new version, let me know :)

@General Failure
Thanks for fixing the link :)
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:20 pm

Ok, i'll try the new link..:D

The little fix is concerning the "coconuts" that can be picked up multiple times.

I could only pick up one coconut..that didn't happen to me..:?

Ok well..ttus..:d
mercedes
VIP

Postby FireOrange » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:21 pm

OK, since I`m still stuck I could need a little hint. I`m in the jail in the mountains now and I don`t know the code. I`ve already seen these symbols in that other place but if I want to enter the code in this order it doesn`t work.
FireOrange

PreviousNext

Return to New Games Announcements