Question about transitions

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Question about transitions

Postby leviathan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 am

Hello, I have just started working on a new first person adventure and I was curious what the opinions are about transitions between frames. Do you prefer an animated or sliding scene transition or just an immediate jump from frame to frame? The sliding scene takes longer to navigate but looks better whereas the quick jump is fast to navigate but lacks the visual punch of the animation. Any thoughts?
Leviathan
leviathan

Dependent

Postby Harvester » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:49 am

I think that's dependent on the case. That is, between what sort of frames you wish to navigate. E.g at turning left or right the side transition is the best, at just zooming to an object of interest I don't think there should be anything, but when moving forward to a next location a fading transition would be best.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:24 am

Transitions can be used to convey a mood or feeling of time passing. Be careful not to make it distracting!

You can use the slide effect to make one feel like they are turning a certain direction.

Fade effect for time passing.

Quick flip to go to a new scene.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Return to New Games Announcements