Mysterious Affair at Styles

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Mysterious Affair at Styles

Postby Jaked » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:11 am

Before I show this, I must admit- this game isn't made by me... I mean the plot for it. This is more of a sort of fan-remake of the first novel of successful mystery author, Agatha Christie. The pictures will be posted soon. Other than adding in room for a few puzzles and somewhat changing the ending, the game will be pretty straight-to-book. If all goes well, I would remake more A.C books, with the exception of "Murder on the Orient Express", "Evil Under the Sun", "The A.B.C Murders", and "Death on the Nile", which are all already remade into adventure games (in one case a hidden object game, but still...)

SUMMARY: When John Cavendish, friend of main character Arthur Hastings, invites him to the wealthy Essex home of his rich-yet-charitable mother Emily Inglethorpe, he never expected foul play to ensue. When the mistress of the house is killed with potassium cyanide, Arthur Hastings remembers that another old friend, Belgian detective Hercule Poirot is living nearby in a cottage, he gets his help in the case that started it all. Was it John, his wife Elizabeth, his brother Lawrence? How about the assistant Evie, the maid Dorcas, the doctor Bauerstein, or the young adopted daughter Cynthia? Or perhaps it was Emily's husband Alfred, whose name was on her dying lips?

GAMEPLAY: The main gameplay factors are not puzzle solving, but instead are more focused on character interrogation and clue finding. In fact, the majority of puzzles in the game are making theories about what happened and testing them by placing objects willy nilly and some such. Another more interesting part of the gameplay is trying to understand Poirot, both egotistical and very pleasant, he has a problem of hiding things and being somewhat psychotic in his methods (not Holmes insane, but- a sort of different insane. It's hard to understand and I'll try to put that kind of Poirot insanity in the game).

PROGRESS:
The story is done, of course, it's been done since 1920. What I am working on now is the graphical aspect, using a mix of Sketchup and Poser 8 to make both. Anyways, the progress is, I'd say 5% done.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

I'm

Postby Harvester » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:41 pm

The concept is nice, I'm looking forward to see how you progress with the game! It must be a great responsibility to make a good game out of a good story with well-written charachters.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Are you using AdventureMaker for this game?
It sounds very interesting. Good luck with it.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Vairon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:28 pm

Really interesting! I'm a fan of Agatha Christie, and I agree with Harvester is a big responsibility, but I'm sure you will do well. :wink:
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Jaked » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:32 pm

It is going well. It is going to be made with Adventure Maker, and the main idea of the game is going smoothly, along with background art development. The scripting and character design process (the two major parts of this) are going ever so slowly. If this project goes well, I'll do other ones, like The Big Four and Peril at End House, but I shouldn't look too far into the future, or else I'll get off track.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:16 am

If you need any help, you know where to ask! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Well, I have all the locations made, just have to make those frames out of exported JPGs. The only problem is... well, one thing scripting, but I'll just be asking for help on the one made for scripting questions, but I just can't place down what puzzles I should use, besides coming up with theories by looking at everything and noting contradictions (such as, listening to someones testimony and contradicting it with another testimony or piece of evidence or a small clue you noticed, sort of Phoenix Wright-ish). But other than that, I'm hoping to do at least six minigames/puzzles/hybrids of minigames and puzzles, so if anyone has ideas on what to do (specifically people who have read the actual book or watched the TV movie...) for puzzles, please PM me the ideas. Other than that, it's going smoothly and I have enough money for a noncommercial version of Adventure Maker so that won't be a problem anymore like it was in the past (the escape the room games I made).
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Jaked » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Sorry to double post, and I know this is a LONG, I repeat LOONG way off, but once Styles is done, if I don't have anything else on the table, I might just make it into a 11 or 12 part game series. The next game would be set up by a poll between

MURDER ON THE LINKS (Hastings meets his wife and the shocks in this story are good. THere would be a lot of puzzles.)
THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD (The good old classic story, but by far the weakest of the three.)
THE BIG FOUR (Sort of a conspiracy mystery where Poirot meets his own version of Professor Moriarty only known as... NUMBER FOUR!)

and then the next list would be

MYSTERY OF THE BLUE TRAIN (A great train mystery, but if I did use this mystery, then I wouldn't use Orient Express further on)
PERIL AT END HOUSE (By far my favorite of the three, has a surprise ending, but not quite enough room for puzzles, however.)
LORD EDGWARE DIES (Another good old classic adventure, going into royalty and whatnot. This would be an okay one for suspects and puzzles.)

and so forth. Note: I will not go back to do the two that were not chosen. What is done would be forever more DONE. In any case, I would recommend the Big Four and End House and so forth, but I'm really just going to put up a poll.

PROGRESS: So far done with the hospital, Poirot's Cottage and the Hospital locations, which are, besides the woods, the whole amount of locations in the game. THe characters are going to be made with either Blender or some easier open source 3D creation tool. I've came up with four pretty good puzzles. So far, so good.
Jaked
Code Master

Nice

Postby Harvester » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Sounds nice! I'm eager to see the first project done before looking at the other titles, though. I always find it better to focus on the actual stuff I'm making and planning so much ahead just confuses me :wink: Please be sure to send some screenshots when they are polished to be shown!

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Return to New Games Announcements