ASA: A Space Adventure

This forum is meant for announcing games (both under development and finished).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

ASA: A Space Adventure

Postby Simon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am

Hi everyone !

Here I'll talk of my AM windows game project called
ASA: A Space Adventure !

EDIT : THE GAME IS RELEASED.
You can buy it (around $8) or learn more on :

http://www.aspaceadventure.fr

English review :
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23855
4 stars out of 5 !

1 - what is ASA ?

At the beginning, it's a short film I made in september 2011, which received quite a lot of good reviews.

Here's the pitch : "A cosmonaut was sent to repair an old satellite. He just finished his mission when..."

If you've not seen the short film, which is very likely, I would suggest you don't !!!!
Why ? Because the first part of the film will be used as an opening in the AM game, and the second part might be the "good ending".
So, if you watch the short film, you won't keep the surprise !

For those who don't intend to play the AM game I want to make, or for those who are soooo curious that they really can't wait the release of the game before they watch, you can find the short film here :
http://vimeo.com/30395151

You're warned ! :d

2 - why a game ?

True, it can sound curious if there already is a short film... But hey ! I got so many nice words about the film that I wanted to do more ! And because I loved Riven, and because I think there aren't enough Adventure/Reflexion games, and because I think that "frame by frame games" aren't dead and are more touching than many real-time games, then I decided to make it...

Why did Riven touch me so much ?

Because of the frame by frame progression, first ! I know it can be frustrating in a way, but because the authors of the game chose their own point of view - what they really wanted us to see - then I found the game more immersive than others.

And because I was left all alone in a very strange world I didn't know, with photo-realistic graphics, I almost had the sensation to live a real journey !

This is what I want to reproduce in my game !!!

3 - So ? What will ASA look like ?

Well, you know I don't exactly know yet, but of course it will use the universe I created in my short film. I have written a small scenario that will make us visit a kind of giant spaceship (an ark), and leads us on two different worlds.

During the last 2 weeks, I've been working on some in-game pictures, and created quite a lot of views.

Here are 4 of them that I decided to share with you :

Final game will be in 1024. It shall include some short in-game movies, and a few 360 panoramics when needed. Most of the game will be made of static views, which make the production much easier for me, because I'm alone on this.

4 - Like it ? Need more info ?

Please don't ask every day ! All I have to show will be posted here regularly, if everything goes well ! I may be silent for days and post a lot of things suddenly, I don't know...

As soon as I receive my full version of AM, I try to make a short playable demo, and I'll add a link right here !

My aim is to make the game in 2 or 3 monthes from now on. I don't know if it will do, because I'm all alone on this, and I still have lot to learn about AM, and a lot of work with graphisms.

The final version shall be an independant game for windows, sold for a small price (not decided yet), and distributed via a web platform (like steam, but not decided yet).

If you want more info, just ask ;)
Hope you enjoy my project, and don't hesitate to cheer me up : I may work even faster then !

Edit : Here's a small synopsis of the game.

You're a cosmonaut sent to repair an old satellite. You just finished your mission when you notice a mysterious black cube drifting near you. You're totally hypnotized by this thing and suddenly jump in the space, breaking your security cable ! That's crazy, you seem to have forgotten all the dangers here, and when you finally catch this cube... your oxygen is low and you have no way to go back !!!
But strangely, to you, the most important is that you have this cube in your arms, and that you won't drop it until you're dead ! It now seems so important and fascinating...

Your O? is low and you're all alone with your cube. Time passes. Your O? is low and you pass out...
Darkness everywhere. The end... You can't think anymore, you feel good even if you're about to die, and this is all thanks to the cube.
The end. Your end. Complete darkness...

"Wake up !" says the cube. And suddenly you wake up ! You're not in the space anymore, but on an unknown structure which looks like a spaceship ! But someone takes your cube !!! You can't react, you're still numb ! The thief leaves with your precious treasure, so as soon as you recover strength, you'll hunt down your Cube in the corridors of this spaceship !

When you finally start walking here and there, you lay hands on a small memory card. It contains a part of a story, the story of a certain Philippe Fort?, a french cosmonaut who lived the very same experience than you, but years ago in 2011. He tells with his own words what the Cube really did to him, and how his life started to change, because of its power. You decide to walk in his steps, looking for both your Cube and your future...

PREVIEW DEMO V1

And this is a great day ! I was finally able to make this small playable demo. It's quite short, it has lots of bugs, many problems to solve, but I hope you like it !
Before playing, be sure you have time and are not too tired, and take a paper and a pen :) Even if the demo's not very difficult, it might be helpful...

link removed : demo v1 not representative of the game anymore.

Don't hesitate to post here all the problems you find, tell me all the things you like and you don't, and all the improvements that seem necessary to you !!! If you can, tell me how long it took you to end the demo, so I can have an idea of the life/length of the full game. Thanks, and have fun !
Last edited by Simon on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby ShadowHunter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: LOOKS AMAZING :shock: :shock: :shock:
ShadowHunter
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Simon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks ShadowHunter !
I think I may use your particle plugin ! :D Haven't tried it yet, but seems great !
What about the commercial use ? I'm not ready to buy it now, but how much would it cost if I decided to use it in the final version of my game ?
You can PM me if you don't want to answer publicly.
I just can't imagine my game without particles !!! :)
Simon
Expert Member

Postby ShadowHunter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Simon wrote:Thanks ShadowHunter !
I think I may use your particle plugin ! :D Haven't tried it yet, but seems great !
What about the commercial use ? I'm not ready to buy it now, but how much would it cost if I decided to use it in the final version of my game ?
You can PM me if you don't want to answer publicly.
I just can't imagine my game without particles !!! :)

Hi,

All my software is free, even for commercial projects all I ask in return is a credit in the game, on the website and a free copy of the game :wink:

Good luck with this wonderfull project.

With best regards,

ShAdOwHuNtEr
ShadowHunter

Postby reneuend » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Very nice graphics. I won't watch the video as I'm very interested in the game!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby ShadowHunter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Couldn't stop myself... watched it... It's incredible, did Pixar made this :wink:

You for sure are very talented!
ShadowHunter

Postby Vengeance66 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOW! :shock:

Amazing! Keep up the great work! This is awesome! Can't wait to play your game!
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby Simon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 pm

reneuend wrote:Very nice graphics. I won't watch the video as I'm very interested in the game!

And you're an example for everyone :D
ShadowHunter is forgiven for watching because of his amazing plugins that are totally free :p Sure I'll add you in the credits !!!

You all seem enthusiastic about the game, that's great ! But don't base your judgement on these 4 pictures only, or you could be disappointed when you play ! Wait for a playable demo !
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vairon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi Simon and welcome to the forums!

It is an honor to have your talent in this community. I've seen the film and is very impressive, very good job.

About the images, the quality is very good, very realistic. I hope to play the demo soon.

And you know that you can get help from any member of the forum for whatever you need.

Best regards, Vairon.
Vairon
Forum Master

Hi

Postby Harvester » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Welcome to the forums!

The images look very impressive, and the setting caught my interest. And I especially appreciate your attitude towards the game! Enthusiasm, love for your project and talent can hardly bring any serious disappointment - but sure, we're eagerly waiting for the demo :)

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Simon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:09 am

So happy to see such an active and enthusiastic community !
I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions ! :P
Do you think I can create a special topic in the troubleshootings section, which could regroup all my questions about my "2011ASA" game ? Or is it better if I make a new one each time I have a specific question ?
Simon
Expert Member

As you wish

Postby Harvester » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:54 pm

As you wish, if there is any activity in the forums, it is visible, therefore it is likely that your questions will be answered anyway :) If you think you have questions relevant for other users, probably separate topics is better, as they are easier to find; otherwise one topic seems more coincise.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Simon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:03 am

I just edited my first message to add a small synopsis.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby time-killer-games » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Oh my... this game looks so freaking awesome! Words just can't describe it... :D I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY look forward to playing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D!!!!!!!!!
time-killer-games
Expert Member

Postby Simon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:41 am

time-killer-games wrote:Oh my... this game looks so freaking awesome! Words just can't describe it... :D I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY look forward to playing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D!!!!!!!!!

I think you forgot a "really" :P :P :P

Hey ! Great news !!! I HAVE THE FULL VERSION OF AM WORKING from this morning !!! Yeah !!!

Now I can try a lot of thinks, dive in VBS and try to... MAKE THE DEMO !
I look forward to let you try it ! I'm sure you'll have many ideas to improve my game !

I'll be back with some news soon !
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Simon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Added a link to the demo ! (see first post above)

To do list :
Some people I know have tried the demo, and thanks to their opinion I already made a list of future improvements :
- add an inventory (already planned)
- fix the problem of musics when loading a saved game
- if no way to imcrease screen resolution, then add an option menu to switch anytime between fullscreen and windowed mode
- activate the option to disable/enable transitions between frames
- fix the problem of cursors during videos, and the fact that it skips thems if you click. Sometimes you don't know if you must click or not.
- fix the problem of cursors on certain frames : somestimes the "hand" icon appears all the time, and you don't know on what you can click. It was intially made on purpose in order to improve difficulty and force the player to think on one he clicks, but it's not that great.
- find a way to automatically install the video/audio codecs during install of the game, so the player doesn't have to do it himself...

Demo walkthrough :
If you're lost and can't find how to end this short demo, you can read this solution. I'm sure everyone here in the AM community is familiar to that kind of game and won't need it :)

During the opening movie, you wear a spacesuit and drift in the space. You obtain a strange hypnotizing black cube, and you lose consciousness. When you wake up, you're on a spaceshift and an unknown guy comes with a gun and takes the cube you found. This is where the game really starts, and you're left all alone...

First, you have to stand up by clicking the top of the frame. Next is a 360 view. You can go on the left to the window if you want. There's nothing here in the demo, but this is a good point of view to understand that you're not on a planet, but inside a structure in the space.

Come back to the 360 view, and look around. In front of you, there's a long corridor with a strong black light. On the right, the module in which you woke up. On top of this module, there's a poster with some
indications. From what you understand, someone can stand in the module and, by placing a cube somwhere, this person disapears in a yellow light.
If you look more closely to this poster, you can see symbols on top of the drawings : they look like numbers from 1 to 3, explaining the order of the three steps. From this you learned how to count to three with symbols.

You can enter the (teleport ?) module if you want, and look down at you feet. There's a squared hole, and from its shape and the poster you saw before, you understand you can place a cube here - smaller than the one you found before - to activate the mecanism. Currently, you don't have that kind of cube. Go back to the 360 view.

Take the direction of the strong light at the end of the corridor. The guy who stole your cube appears and suddenly closes the door ! You're trapped in this part of the ship. Go to the door and examine it.

The door is tightly closed, and you can't see through the glass because of the light. On the right, you can notice a small poster that gives the direction of a new room. The schema symbolises a room like a dome, with a black column in the middle. All around the dome, there are small rectangular shapes which could be doors... Get used to these posters, which might be handy to find your way later.

Next to this direction sign, you must have noticed a digital dial. You're not familiar with its symbols, but you can try to enter a code to unlock the door if you want. You probably won't find the good combination unless you're very lucky. You need some indice.

Look closer at the left poster, and you'll notice an unstuck corner on the top left. Try to pull it and find what you needed : the code is inscribed at the back ! Someone probably wanted to help visitors.
Try to understand this basic combination. You can deduce that it's composed of five numbers, each one represented here by a squared shape. Everyone in his life has already counted something by drawing crossed squares, knowing that each of them, when completed, counts for 5. So the code is... easy to find ! Write it on a paper.

With your code, you're happy. Go back to the dial to immediately remind that you need a code with unknown symbols, not usual numbers. You can, of course, try to enter the code now by deduction, but it's easier to find some more help. Leave for the 360 view again.

Back in the 360, examine the other (teleport ?) module. Maybe you didn't see it first, it's somehow hidden between the one you came in, and the corridor. Click on it.

This second module seems out of service. The mecanism is opened and emits electricity. You have nothing to repair it, but there's a small red shape lying on the floor. Click on it to discover a memory card. Take it and read it.

The memory card contains the diary of a french cosmonaut called Philippe Fort?. From the indications you read on the right corner, the current year of the game is 2027. You don't have to read all with attention, but from what you learn here, this guy lived the same experience than you : he found a cube years ago in 2011 and arrived here in the spaceship via the
teleporters. From what he says, it's an Ark, protecting some important datas. He explains to keep your cube with you all the time : bad luck, the thief took it. He also says he left some help here and there, so you'll probably have to count on his notes to progress.

Back to the broken module, watch on the right to see a folded paper on a kind of tray. Read it, and you'll find all that was missing to puzzle out the combination of the closed door.
You already knew how to convert numbers from 1 to 3 thanks to the first poster over the teleporter. Now you have the missing part, and can convert numbers from 1 to 9. You should guess by yourself now.

Go back to the door, enter the code on the dial, and leave the teleport corridor...

This is the end of this small demo. Thanks for playing !
Last edited by Simon on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vairon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:20 am

Downloading demo...
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Downloading...but it is taking a very long time. Looking forward to trying it out! :wink:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Simon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Hey, don't be too hasty to try the demo, you two :D You might be disappointed !
It's a veeeeeeeeery short demo !
Anyways, thanks for trying it !

Rapidshare is very slow nowadays, isn't it ? I'll try something else for future releases.
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vengeance66 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:43 pm

I tried it, but I gotta quit.

I'm trying it later, I need to study for make ups... -_-
Stay a while and listen...

Rainbow Enterainment - http://rainbowenter.com/
Vengeance66
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Simon wrote:Rapidshare is very slow nowadays, isn't it ? I'll try something else for future releases.

you could try using mediafire.com. There is another one that is pretty good but the name escapes me.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Morsy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:30 pm

reneuend wrote:
Simon wrote:Rapidshare is very slow nowadays, isn't it ? I'll try something else for future releases.

you could try using mediafire.com. There is another one that is pretty good but the name escapes me.
Dropbox?

I'll download the demo later since it is a bit big and I gotta go somewhere for the 4th of July :)
Morsy

Postby Simon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Mediafire is a good idea, yes. Somebody else recommended it to me !
Dropbox, I never heard of it, but it looks like it requires to install a program on your pc ?

Nobody could try the demo yet ? Probably because of summer hollidays :)
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vairon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi Simon!

I've played the demo:

-Graphically it is very nice, especially the videos and animation, great job in this area.
-About the sound section, I will not say anything because it is not definitive.
-The door puzzle is acceptable, level of difficulty is medium but... two suggestions (if I can, of course):
? It is desirable that the panel has a reset button, to try new combinations.
? When a player inserts a wrong combination, nothing happens. Maybe There should be something to indicate that you has inserted a wrong code (a red light, a sound effect...).

I think this can be a great game, has a good story, good graphics and good puzzles (or at least in the demo).

Great job Simon! :wink:
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby lbq_bcn » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Hey Simon.

Good demo, yes sir ...
I am what you say Vairon on the subject keyboard ...
Vairon wrote: ? When a player inserts a wrong combination, nothing happens. Maybe There should be something to indicate that you has inserted a wrong code (a red light, a sound effect...).

It is not clear if the combination works. Or the keyboard is an ornament. A sound would have clarified the matter
For the rest ... Very good job.

Llu
lbq_bcn

Postby Simon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:42 am

Hey thanks for your return Vairon and Lluis !

Vairon wrote: two suggestions (if I can, of course):

Of course you can !!! I posted the demo here so I can have all kind of opinions, good or not !

I know it must be very difficult to make an opinion with this short demo, because 60% is video and only 40% is playable. On top of that, it's a very early demo, and I've been making some improvements allready.

What I can say to both of you about the first puzzle is that I didn't want it to be too difficult because it's the first one, and I hope the sound - when finished - will help on the interactivity with the keyboard.

It is desirable that the panel has a reset button, to try new combinations.

Normally, you shouldn't need a reset button, because it should be possible to enter the good combination just after trying several wrong ones. Normally... Hope it works, I tried and it seems so.

It is not clear if the combination works.

Well if it works, the door should open in a video.

I think what it needs the most is an animation on the keys when you press on it, just to symbolise you pressed on a key... I'll do that !

The door puzzle is acceptable, level of difficulty is medium

By the way, what did you mean by "medium" ? Did you mean the difficulty is just nice, or it's a bit too easy, or it's already too difficult for the first puzzle ?
Simon
Expert Member

Postby Vairon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:36 pm

About the reset button you may have reason. But I still think that when you enter the wrong
code the player needs something to indicate that is wrong.

About the difficulty, I think (and is my opinion) that is correct for this type of puzzles.
May be a bit difficult for the first puzzle, this depends of general level of the game difficulty that you want.
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby ImmortalWind » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Wow, this download takes forever! I should also upload my own game (http://somepeaceofmindgame.blogspot.gr/) elsewhere because Rapidshare really sucks!

I'm gonna try this and tell you my opinion, but let me tell you this: Being myself a huge Riven and Arthur Clarke fan, I believe I'm gonna love it!
As long as you don't hurry to finish it. As long as it takes dude... :wink:
My own, my precious Adventure Game:

http://somepeaceofmindgame.blogspot.gr
ImmortalWind

Postby Simon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:40 am

Sorry for the slow download :( I'll never use rapidshare again ! It should be called slowshare !

ImmortalWind, I hope you like the final game, but I'm not sure the demo is very representative of it. You visit only 1 environment here, and it's quite limited. I think I'll make another demo later with the latest improvements, so everyone can understand my game better.

I think the final game play should be around 10 hours if I do all I want, maybe more... but, of course, it will depend on your strength with puzzles ! If you already know what to do in the game (or use a soluce), it might probably be finished in 1 or 2 hours.

But I have to finish the game first so I can tell you :)

New pics ! I think the final game play duration also depends on how much you like them, and how immersive they are for you !

Simon
Expert Member

Postby ImmortalWind » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 am

10 hours???????? :shock: :shock:

Dude, that's extremely hard!!! That's a proffesional release gameplay!!! I really hope you can make it, but it's a bit too much! I struggled on my own game to offer a 1.5 hour of gameplay and took me 4 months to complete it without drawing a single screen (used photographs).

I played the demo, what's with the aspect ratio anyway? It's so small...
My own, my precious Adventure Game:

http://somepeaceofmindgame.blogspot.gr
ImmortalWind

Next

Return to New Games Announcements