Sure is quiet around here again!

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Sure is quiet around here again!

Postby Skye » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:05 am

Gosh, everyone must have gone Trick or Treating!!

I've been checking out the newest of the Indie offerings at Just Adventure (Scratches) and boy does it ever make me feel like my game is just a feeble attempt.

Anyone else here get those days when they feel like their game just isn't going to match up to some of the stuff out there? Like your story won't be 'deep' enough or your puzzles will look out of place, you graphics don't have that depth of atmosphere that the people using 3D Studio Max can get. . . . .

How do you deal with it?

Skye
Skye
Expert Member

Postby CBSection31 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:27 pm

I definitely feel that way at times, Skye. Just remember that it isn't a matter of you not being "as good" as them; you simply don't have the resources that they do. Indie games have a large range of quality, and consumers know that. In my opinion, the worst thing a developer can do (I'm being hypocritical, since I do this all the time) is compare his project to someone else's. Many times, it will depress you when there is no reason to be depressed! As long as you are making a game because it's something you truly want to do, it will come out well and people will enjoy it. :)
CBSection31
Code Master

Postby Skye » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:34 am

Thanks for the words of wisdom CBSection31, it helped a lot :)

Skye
Skye
Expert Member

Postby Imari » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:42 am

It's so easy to get discouraged, I certainly have felt discouraged.

When one sees a team of brilliant artists and coders in a company like Cyan lossing projects like Uru Live and later needing to close for a time in order to recoup after Myst V's release... Well, that just leaves me breathless, and it's hard not to wonder if my own poor efforts are even worth doing.

For me, passionate dreams and the urge to create keep me going. Also, when I see companies like Cyan, Detalion, and others struggling, I realize that we independent, basement/garage game makers are the hope for the future of adventure games. I also believe that as the tools to make these games become more accessible and our indie games become more professional, then more and more people will become attracted to adventure games again. And, good grief, people will surely tire of those mindless WWII shooters soon... won't they?
Imari
VIP

Postby concer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:32 am

I do not think so, the truth often lies in the hands of a minority, to the future we will think this is wrong.
I'm conner, you likeNBA Retro Apparelit? MLB very exciting right
concer

Postby Candle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Slow again..
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby GORDON » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Don't be discouraged! Some games cost well over $100,000 to complete and lose money. Your cost is probably next to nothing. People want a story & interesting puzzles first. Graphics are always a plus but will not make a game sucessfull on its own. We must be multi talented to make a good game. We can't be great at every facet of gamemaking. So cheer up!
There are still enough people out there wanting adventure games.
GORDON
Advanced Member

Postby miss mira » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:57 am

Ooooo . . . it is a little quiet around here! Hope everyone is still around. Vacation season maybe . . . ?
miss mira

Postby Morsy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:01 pm

miss mira wrote:Ooooo . . . it is a little quiet around here! Hope everyone is still around. Vacation season maybe . . . ?

Eeyup :|
Morsy

Postby ZeornWarlock » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:57 am

I take a really quick peak once in a while; I'm just very busy with my RPG book company now so I cannot follow up what's going on most of the time. I do see many new faces so that's good, and it's nice to see the familiar faces still stick around. :)

I hope to come back at some point this year and I hope to upload my game as well, it's long overdue. :P

Just a thought, but maybe the moderators or anyone with a game site could run a game contest? It's been a while since we saw one and maybe that could spice up the forums a bit!?!

In any case I wish everyone good luck with their projects and good gaming! :)

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby miss mira » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:54 am

ZeornWarlock wrote:I take a really quick peak once in a while; I'm just very busy with my RPG book company now so I cannot follow up what's going on most of the time. I do see many new faces so that's good, and it's nice to see the familiar faces still stick around. :)

I hope to come back at some point this year and I hope to upload my game as well, it's long overdue. :P

Just a thought, but maybe the moderators or anyone with a game site could run a game contest? It's been a while since we saw one and maybe that could spice up the forums a bit!?!

RPG book company? That sounds interesting! Is it your company, or do you work for for someone else?

I might be interested in a game contest! Not sure how quickly I could turn one out, but it sounds like fun and school will be out for the summer after next Tuesday. Sooooo looking forward to the extra time to work on projects and relax a little. :)
miss mira

Postby ZeornWarlock » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:47 am

@miss mira

It's a new up-coming RPG company and I co-own it with a business partner.

Well the forums used to have the yearly contests, but I think that was dropped but it was always fun to see what folks came up with especially with a given subject. :)

Anyhow, I'll probably be away for a long while again and I'll pop-up back again at some point. ;) However, I do need to find the time to play and comment on all the new and interesting games that have been up-loaded for a while now by old and new users. Lots of creativity going! :)

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Return to General Chat