Open source?

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Open source?

Postby pennsteve » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:41 pm

Does open source mean I am free to use a picture however I want? Even commercially?

Wait, I'm thinking of something else. Public domain? ugh.....
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:00 am

Usually the sort of license is mentioned.
There are different sorts of licenses - some for free use in non-commercial projects only, others also for commercial projects.
Here's an overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_content

You need to find some definition or name of the license on the site from where you wish to use content (images for example).
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:22 am

Open source can mean, that the person who created whatever they created is "sharing" it..

Ex

You have created a game and you want to share the coding that you made it with.. if you want others to see your creation..it can be open source..but it doesn't mean you can sell it..

The owner usually has some guidelines to follow..You are free to put it in ur game..and some you can even sell your game...but you can't sell the code..and claim it as your own..You have to get permission..

There are definetly rules to follow even with open source..:)

Peace~
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:24 pm

I figured it out. public domain. sometimes stuff is free to use for whatever you want, even commercial. they just want recognition sometimes.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Return to General Chat