I've run out of ideas

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

I've run out of ideas

Postby pennsteve » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:06 pm

I've run out of ideas for games. Aside from taking pictures and using them for room escape games.

I want to make other games but its hard to do when you dont know VBS.....sure, I could go to the help pages, but I really still dont know how to use it. As for plugins, I have no idea what they are and what they are used for lol.

I still want to know how I can make my rooms slide around when the cursor is on the end of the screen, rather than having them click to get to the next frame.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Chromegloss55 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:14 pm

VBScript...

I could teach you how to use it...
Last edited by Chromegloss55 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chromegloss55
Forum Master

Postby pennsteve » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:14 am

There is a site online to learn visual basic, but it says you need some kind of program to type it in, which is no longer available.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:36 am

VBScript that is used in AM, is sort of a limited variation of Microsoft's Visual Basic programming language.
You can use the free Visual Basic Express 2008 with tutorials if you want to:
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vb/

However, it's not necessary at all if you want to just add more complex puzzles or features to your games.
Maybe checking out the tutorials section on this forums would give you first ideas :)
And the Help Files are really helpful, just take it slow, step by step - and soon you'll have the hang out of some first scripts :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:02 am

That's pretty much how i did it Steve..I just came here and asked questions..and all are eagre to help u here..it keeps them up to par with their scripting too..:P

Plugins are added Extentions, that you can add to AM..

Like the LightPlugin..It shows a spot light on top or simulates a flashlight going into a room..
Keyguard lets you use your mouse for many functions..[Rightclick, hover..doubleclick..etc.
Inventory Plugin..allows you to disable and enable the Inventory.

And whats good about plugins..The author has elimated most of the coding for you..Thereby making it all u have to do is a few lines..hardly anything with most.

Simply enable it in the Project properties and in the Frame...and away you go..:P

As for sliding around to the next frame..I think u mean Keyguard..It comes with a really helpful help file that opens with Adobe or Foxit.

For something new to do..try the 3rd person game with AM and see if that is something u might like....:)

I did the robot..but there is a man in there too..:)

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:22 am

There 's a pseudo panorama project inside Keyguard's samples that will help you.
As for programming, you learn through practice. If you have any questions about any vb syntax or function, post here, or google the phrase "name_of_function msdn"

Msdn is a library that will help you with programming. It's Microsoft's
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Chromegloss55 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:17 pm

But the best way to learn as mercedes says, is to start off by using the provided code samples and then coming to these forums and asking about anything you're unsure of.

Myself, and many other users are very experienced with VBS and would be more than willing to help you...

I'm writing two guides at the moment:

100 Visual Basic Techniques For Adventure Maker

AND

Programming For Adventure Maker

The latter of the two is for total beginners, and I will actually be releasing it very soon. I didn't tell anyone about it because I didn't want people to wait too long, but I may as well say it now.

I will be posting the guide within the coming weeks (possibly even within the next week) along with the long-needed update of my 100 VB Techniques guide (which has got some fabulous new techniques that people are gonna love :P )...

Somebody suggested learning VB Script using Visual Basic Express or something similar. Well, that's also a good idea. Just be aware that there are many differences between conventional VB Script and AM VB Script (anyway I point them out in my 'programming for AM' guide).

All the best, Chromegloss... :)

Return to General Chat