My big question

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Would you like to be able to save games without limit?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 6

My big question

Postby Vairon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:28 am

This is a question that I have in mind a long time ago. The question is: Would you like to be able to save games without limit?
ie, anywhere in the game and without limit the number of times. Or do you prefer to have specific sites and limit items to save?
This last option I've seen in games that combine adventure with action, it appears that gives a little more emotion.
I hope you can get me out of my big question.

I would appreciate your comments a part of your answer.
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:08 pm

It's a difficult question... It's very good to be able to have several saves. On the other hand if you do so, You can't try whatever you want with no fear... You carefully advance and that thrills you more... I also dislike checkpoints.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Imari » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:39 pm

I like unlimited saves. I save often. :P

In the template that I'm making, however, the saves are limited to 12 out of necessity.
Imari
VIP

Postby reneuend » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:14 pm

I think it depends on the game, but I like the mix of checkpoints with the ability to save a game when you need too. As for a limit, I don't mind them because you generally don't need that many saves any way.

As for my games,
I try not to have too many ways to die as I think its hard enough to navigate through my games as it is! :?

...I'm getting better though.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Unlimited

Postby Harvester » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:21 pm

Unlimited saving is mainly for 3 kinds of games for me:
1. bloody hard FPS games where it is very easy and unpredictable that you die
2. at adventure games where there are so nice or interesting cutscenes that I want to see many times them, in case they don't have a separate windows to replay videos
3. for RPGs where there are so many ways to go that a player might want to see all outcomings but don't want to start from beginning

It's my opinion. Saving at safepoints is not good I think, a limited save number is good however.
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Mystery » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:38 am

I mainly play point and click adventures and room escape games. For these types of games, and if they are not extremely long and complex, 2-3 saving slots are enough.

For simulation games (like building civilizations) or other complex games, it's different, because then I might like to save at different points, and be able to continue different "branches".
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby ZeornWarlock » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:45 am

I think this is game dependent. If your game can be completed in less than four to five hours while being linear, I suppose having limited saves would be a good option. However, if your game takes many more hours to complete, I suppose more saves would be best.

You also need to consider the survival factor of a game. If it is easy to perish, more saves are welcome. If the game does not rely much on survival, having more saves does not matter much.

One other thing to consider with saves is how many minutes or hours the user plays on a given period. Hardcore gamers will play several hours in a row, while the casual gamer may just play 70 minutes a week. Therefore, if the later plays 10 minutes each day, then he must save his progression seven times a week.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby Vairon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Ok, Guys!
Thanks for all, your opinions are helping me a lot in my last project.
Really this is a great community! :D
Vairon
Forum Master

Return to General Chat