Adventure StockPile - Site in the works for adventure gamers

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Adventure StockPile - Site in the works for adventure gamers

Postby jdiperla » Fri May 01, 2009 8:23 pm

I have been working on a site for an all-adventure community. This site is mainly for finding downloads and archiving great software and all software in general related to Adventure Games. But its biggest feature is the social aspect of it and the development aspect of it. The site is a great portal for finding resources that will help in your game development and a great resource for finding the latest news and stuff. The site is a work in progress. But I need your help. I need you to check out the site and tell me what you think of it, what you would like to see/ what improvements I need to make and what would have you all keep coming to the site as a main Adventure resource site.

For now let me tell you the main features it has:

General site features:
You can translate the site into several languages.
You can bookmark the site to Google, yahoo, twitter, etc...
You can search the site.
Awards and Hall of Fame. HOF coming soon.
Store-- Coming soon.

Social features:
Forum
An IRC type chat engine built into the site itself.
Private Messaging
Users have a personal page
Users can have blogs.
Users can create and join User specific groups.

Resources:
Downloads(Games, engines, tutorials, etc...)
Wiki
WebLinks
Publish your game with us... Not yet implemented.

Fun:
Fan Fiction section
Fan art section to come soon.

Team Development:
Project starter/Personal Projects
Post a search for a team.

Profile/Profile Searching:
You can see your user page.
You can see your awards.
You can add what games your working on.
You can put in contact info.
You can tell us what your 10 favorite games are.
You can specify what skills you have and to what degree you can use them.
You can specify what languages you speak.
You can upload personal files.
You can have a user gallery showcasing your art work or art and images in general.
You can have a personal guest book for yourself.

AND THERE WILL BE MORE AS I GO.

A note about "Project Starter/Personal Projects". This is a great tool. You can create a project (Game, or Engine or whatever, as long as its adventure related). You can add users and give them permissions and access levels. Your project can have news and task assignments and a calendar. You also have a private forum just for your project members and more. Everything stays private or public depending on your settings. You can also upload your files. I feel that this is a great way to get Teams working and organized on projects.

What I will need from you:
I need input and suggestions. If I can have board moderators and even site administrators, that would help immensely. If you have resources, games, tutorials, artwork... ANYTHING that you can upload to the site, that would help content-wise. Bug-testing would also be a big help. Eventually Donations for server costs would be helpful as well. If you want to host specific sites for specific projects, such as RON or anything, that would also help with content and visitors. Also promote the site where you can.

Future items:
Shop
Hall of Fame
Adventure Top Sites
Anything you can think of.

Thanks all for listening and for your help. The site is http://www.adventurestockpile.com .
jdiperla

Postby Mystery » Sat May 02, 2009 2:09 am

Hmmm, I don't see anything apart from the standard Joomla texts, and your "This is way cool! " message from January; all other pages are unavailable.
I don't know if the contents are not ready yet, or if those pages are only available to registered members.
If the contents are not ready yet, then you need to build them first, otherwise there is no basis for a feedback.
If the pages are unavailable to unregistered members, this needs to be communicated. In this case I cannot give you feedback, because I need a good reason to register somewhere, I do not sign up blindly to any sites :?

Therefore all I can say is that your idea sounds good :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby jdiperla » Sat May 02, 2009 9:58 pm

Yes, it is a work in progress. Thats why it has the standard Joomla texts. But to avoid SPAMBOTS or people uploading useless stuff not related to Adventure games, I had to make it so you can register first.

The point of this is to have a social and networking area where all adventure gamers and creators can meet, and create games/engines or improve the adventure gaming genre in general. Content really is second as far as priorities go. SO the truth is, the top priority content is there. What I want is for everyone to check it out and see what its missing and what other improvements can be made to it.

Thanks for your input.
jdiperla

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun May 03, 2009 9:47 am

I 've registered and I hope to see this site achieve something great...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Sun May 03, 2009 8:08 pm

I understand that for certain contents and actions you need to be registered. But I like to have a general idea of what it's about, how it looks etc. before I decide whether to sign up or not. :) Therefore I appreciate a public area, and if this public area convinces me, and wants me get more, I decide to register.
It's the same as with forums, where you can't see any contents unless you are registered - I don't sign up just because there might be something that could be interesting for me.

It's just my personal personal position though :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Jaked » Sun May 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Now this sounds like the site for people to share freely... like fileshare specifically for adventure game designers?
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby mercedes » Sun May 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi there..:D

I'm just wondering out of all of the features you have listed in your post..what will be available to public without registering..? So as to offer an opinion--to see what's missing etc...:)

I'm kinda the same way as Mystery..I have to see the forum and or website, and what it has to offer first..before i register..Something has to attract me...[I want to make sure I don't get spammed either]..That's kind of what gets me to sign on..Also if I see on every page..i have to register..I get scared/bored off..For instance if every link I click leads me to a page, that says you have too.. [to see content]...~
Also, to sign on has to be easy..quick--for me..As soon as a site asks me to give out my address and other personal info..I usually don't register..Pop ups scare me away too..~!--Not related to what your asking, but just on another note..:)~

I understand that parts of the website, should be kept private. There are ideas--in several forms-- being expressed and for the most part, those will be kept between members..and should be kept private..So I can see why u would need to register..as well as Bots/spammers.

So, I wondered what would be made public..

Anyhow, that's just for my opinion..:D

Peace~
mercedes
VIP

Return to General Chat