Question #1 to female gamers...

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Question #1 to female gamers...

Postby ZeornWarlock » Wed May 27, 2009 1:08 am

Most video games out there do not give the option to play female characters or the very few games in which you can, they will either be half-naked if not completely and will have large assets so to speak.

I am still building my Black Keep game and most of the main characters are female. Most are strong willed, clothed and capable at many things. However, out of curiosity, what type of female characters would you like to see and play in videogames?

Be it personality, looks, nationality, good or evil etc...

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Wed May 27, 2009 2:03 am

You are completely right ZW, there are not too many games in which you can identify yourself with an important character as a female player. This is also true for many movies btw.

I think that depending on the theme and genre of games this might be different, but generally spoken what comes into my mind at the moment:

Dark hair (for a character that I would play as a role), not half naked, good looking but not in the sense of sexy/hot, clever to find solutions, humorous, independent, rather on the good side (but I could also imagine a witch or another evil character lol).
I also like games with heros, so women with supernatural abilities are also welcome if it fits to the game theme. Or for example meeting a wise old woman in a game who helps me.
Nationality is a difficult question - I guess no specific nationality would be best to leave room for own interpretations, or if nationality is necessary then women of several nationalities within the game.

That's all for the moment, if anything else crosses my mind I'll post again :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Kat12 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi ZW,
It does get frustrating to see all of the female characters as little more than fantasy sex objects...I just played Syberia 1 & 2 and that game has a nice female character...smart, brave, fully clothed, lol.
Kat
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Thu May 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Nancy Drew is a good representation of a female adventure game character.

I wrote a story a few months ago for building a game with a female as the main character. She'll be a Russian scientist in this one...but that's down the road...I have a lot of other games to do before it.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:33 pm

OMG, I loved Nancy Drew when I was a kid; I read the entire series, lol. I think I read "The Mystery of the Tolling Bell" 10 times or more, because I actually owned that book, lol. I used to haunt the library, hoping to get the titles I hadn't yet read.

I really loved the Syberia games; I just played them last week. I was really impressed with them.

Kat
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby ZeornWarlock » Fri May 29, 2009 8:32 pm

Mystery, that is exactly the kind of answer I am looking for. :)

reneuend, Kat12, I did not play any Nancy drew games, however if she is a smart detective, than that is pretty much a stereotype as well. Being that I have seen this before.

The female characters for my Black Keep game are already completed, and I think they are varied enough to be interesting. However I was asking this for other games I have in mind.

It would be great if more "gamer girls" could hint at what kind of non stereotype character they would like to see.

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Actually, the player is Nancy Drew in the Nancy Drew games. I've played several of them with my daughter and they are quite good (esp. the newer ones). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to put a male in place of Nancy Drew except she uses the phone a lot, writes things done, and gets directions! :lol: :lol: :lol:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sat May 30, 2009 3:28 am

I love Nancy Drew games!~..I've played many of them..~
As for picking a female character--I'm trying to imagine picking an avatar** Keeping in mind, I don't play those games often..:)

Dark hair--Shoulder length..
Sexy/but boyish..
Clothes-Jeans,boots.belt..those sort of clothes..
Good with knives..any weapon..
Humorous--Dry humour..sarcastic..
Clever, intuitive, medium..
Brave..

If she has a secret power,--that being extraordinary--Then it would be the ability to read ppl's minds, but after doing so, takes alot out of her..so she doesn't do it often..unless she really has too...Usually saves it for enemies--She loses power when she does..:)

Peace~
mercedes
VIP

Postby ZeornWarlock » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:10 am

mercedes wrote:I love Nancy Drew games!~..I've played many of them..~
As for picking a female character--I'm trying to imagine picking an avatar** Keeping in mind, I don't play those games often..:)

Dark hair--Shoulder length..
Sexy/but boyish..
Clothes-Jeans,boots.belt..those sort of clothes..
Good with knives..any weapon..
Humorous--Dry humour..sarcastic..
Clever, intuitive, medium..
Brave..

If she has a secret power,--that being extraordinary--Then it would be the ability to read ppl's minds, but after doing so, takes alot out of her..so she doesn't do it often..unless she really has too...Usually saves it for enemies--She loses power when she does..:)

Peace~

Lol, you almost described the main Black Keep character, but without the jeans!

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Return to General Chat