Clinics?

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Clinics?

Postby chickens1127 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:45 am

Hey guys, this winter I may be student-teaching a course on video game design. The kids most likely will not wanna make adventure maker games, but if they do, do you guys have any good ways to teach AM to people? And has anybody ever done any clinic before???
Hi... It's Chickens1127...
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby reneuend » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:28 am

Yes. But if this is for kids you will need to get them involved right away! They are very impatient! :shock:

Suggestion: Build a working game. Then break it up into lessons. Build a tutorial document for them to follow. Have the images pre-made except for ones where they take a picture of themselves and put their heads in the game ....or something funny they can share with the rest of the class. Make sure that each section of the tutorial covers a specific subject matter.
- building a script
- use the script to build a storyboard
- Overview of AM's features
- use the storyboard to build the frames
- adding hotspots
- building the puzzles
- adding dialog
- adding sound
- do the menu last!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby chickens1127 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Yea, I'd probably have 5-6 kids (ages 10-13) and me, only one or two with any experience with Photoshop. I was thinking like two graphical people, a sound person, and two who put the game together, and I'll supervise and script some
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby reneuend » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:17 pm

If you want to teach all of them AM, I wouldn't separate the tasks. But, if you are working as a team on a project, then separating tasks is a good idea.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby chickens1127 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Becuase most are what I would call people who barely can use Word, anD although AM is easy, it's not THAT easy for individual projects.
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby juhuwoorps » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:54 pm

YOU can only teach YOUR skills!
If YOU are good at graphics,sounds, game making, scripting so you can split the peoples in different groups.
But if you dont have this skills, I would make a game before the clinics starts and rebuilt it in the class.

I dont know how much time you have, but I'm thinking you should make a special effect thing at the first. Like shot down a bottle or so.

another question: what do you expect with this clinic?
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby chickens1127 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:45 am

Teach the kids(my classmates) the basics of game design. Remember, they may want to make an FPS, so then we will use FPS creator. So, I was just asking the best approach of teaching the material generally and with AM.

And yes, although I don't use it much, I do have a bit of knowledge with AM and made some games before I came to this forum.. (9 years old lol :shock: )
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby reneuend » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:49 am

From experience, the best approach is to have a working model. Then break it down into a tutorial and rebuild in class. This way you can handle issues that arise.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby chickens1127 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:55 am

Yes but I have about 7-8 80 minute classes, so not dealing with a lot of time. However I would be happy to finish the game if needed, however a base game needs to be established by the end of the class to put on CDs and give to them.

EDIT: Don't loose sleep, I may not be teaching the course, IDK.
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:56 pm

If you do, you should use one of the abilities of AM: create a dynamic presentation software using it, then have the basics of game development explained in it.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Return to General Chat