US/GB native speakers please help

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

US/GB native speakers please help

Postby Harvester » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi,

I would need the help of some native English speakers (no matter if US or GB).
Does the phrase "love somebody to death" mean that you love someone till the end of the life or that sort of your love kills the other? :? Or both? Or neither?...

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Candle » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:55 am

mean that you love someone till the end of the life
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Thanks

Postby Harvester » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks, I hoped so :wink:

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:11 am

Wait!

"Love somebody to death" means you really love them a lot! It's an expression of extreme love!

"Love somebody until death" means you love them until end of life.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Okay

Postby Harvester » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:09 pm

At the moment it's 2 to 1 for reneuend's version. Maybe I should have made it a poll :)

Harvester
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:43 pm

I wonder if its different depending on where you are from?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:25 am

Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Oh well

Postby Harvester » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:14 pm

Oh well, that's 3 to 1, and I hoped the 1 will be the winner :? Well, let's see if there are more opinions, maybe someone will come with a brand new meaning or such :lol:
Well, if not, I'll have to accept the 3 to 1 majority and maybe even rewrite a song :cry:

Harvester
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Imari » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:20 am

I'm going to take a wild guess that we're talking about lyrics for a song. :P

In that case, just mumble "love you to/unto death" and everyone will be looking at the lyrics in context and trying to figure out your true meaning. Hey, it'll be deep. :wink:
Imari
VIP

Postby reneuend » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:20 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good answer!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Nice

Postby Harvester » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:51 am

:lol: :lol: Nice one there! I'll do so, but it's also the song's title... well, I guess then I rather have a song with a little bit different meaning than to make it again :wink:

Harvester
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby chickens1127 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:58 pm

Exactly. That's what most songwriters do. They throw in these ambigious words and phrases when they're most likely just talking 'bout drugs or partying or something worse. Just to make people think it's deep.
Hi... It's Chickens1127...
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby mercedes » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:23 am

reneuend wrote:Wait!

"Love somebody to death" means you really love them a lot! It's an expression of extreme love!

"Love somebody until death" means you love them until end of life.

That's exactly how i see it too...:D

I believe it came down from wedding vows...Till Death to us part...in the years it's become slang..Love somebody to death~...I don't know..that's how i see it, how it come to pass..:D
mercedes
VIP

Well

Postby Harvester » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:21 pm

Well, I haven't ever sang about drugs or partying (or at least I hope so) and try to keep things as serious as possible (or as comic as possible, dependent on the goal), so I guess chickens1127's case hopefully doesn't apply for me (well, at least if the 'something worse' is not a phrase for 'sex that I didn't know :) ).

I guess then I will finally have to accept that "love sy to death" means extreme love instead of and everlasting one. Nevermind, at most parts that also fits the context, and at other parts it may look as something creative. Well, in that aspect chickens1127 is right. Songwriters tend to do that in case they have a fully recorded song and haven't thought that the words they used might have a completely different meaning than what they used it for :wink: But that doesn't mean the song isn't deep. It just gained another layer of depth accidentally :)

Harvester
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby chickens1127 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Yep. Listen to The Good Times Are Killing Me by Modest Mouse, and it sounds really deep, but the whole online community has agreed it's drugs. And if you look at the lyrics, it fits.
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Im gonna

Postby Harvester » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:14 am

I'm going to listen to it. I must agree that many musicans have this attitude, but as far as I see from my position somewhere at the bottom of this whole musician-hierarchy, the higher the musican gets the most likely one will use drugs and play music affected by it. Or there are the underground ones who use drugs, play music affected by it, but they accept this status in public, thus if someone listens to their songs, they perfectly know that they listen to a song from a band who is a well-known addict or so.
Since I don't have any experience with drugs (okay, I know alcohol and cigarettes are drugs, but those are at least legal :wink: ) I don't know much about the connection about the songs themselves and the chemicals. What I think is that no matter if someone uses drugs or not, a song's reception should definitely not be affected by that factor. A song is either good or not, no matter if the artist is a junkie or a saint. However, the person itself should get that criticism and face it's consequences. The problem is not that a song written by a junkie gets popular but that the guy becomes that too. And that would still not be a problem if popularity wouldn't come with such "side-effects" as becoming role-model for many -mostly young- people and such.
To cut it short, in my opinion most underground bands are still unaffected by drugs, or at least their music is. I wouldn't say that about those who you see in MTV or anywhere in the popular media.

Harvester
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby chickens1127 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Also, if you want to hear someone really messed up, Lil Wayne. Rapper. Hit it big. Made many songs. Made a lot of money. Used cocaine(most likely). Messed up his voice. Sounds like a 6 year old, just like Justin Beiebr. Go to jail for a year for weapons charges. =

YOURE MESSED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Return to General Chat