ZORK I VGA Edition (Made with different program : ( )

This forum is meant for talking about just anything, including things that have nothing to do with Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

ZORK I VGA Edition (Made with different program : ( )

Postby Jaked » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Well, I'm sorry for this, but for the last month or two, I've been using... ADVENTURE GAME STUDIO. *DUN DUN DUNNNNNN* Oh god, now I feel like Benedict Arnold. It's only a one, maybe two, possibly three-time thing, as I am releasing remakes of the Interactive Fiction series, ZORK, starting with Zork I: The Great Underground Empire. I've thought of releasing another, 3-D version to Adventure Maker after the AGS version, because everyone needs some Zork, but it will be a while. So, here's the basics.

PLOT: You play the generic adventuring, treasure hunting, tomb raiding warrior called Sir Generic (or YOU, as he is referred to 90% of the time), on a quest to loot the treasure from the fallen city of Quendor, whose stability crumbled after deciding to take everything underground. In your quest to loot treasure, you will actually find items, make very simple puzzle solving, traverse mazes, and even get into a fight with multiple remnants of the lost city of Quendor, including a Cyclops, a Troll, a sneaky Thief, and even the darkness-loving Grue.

Characters:

Sir Generic: The main protagonist, a treasure hunting adventurer sent by the new kingdom to take valuable artifacts from the OLD kingdom of Quendor.
The Troll: The first non-player character you encounter is a short-lived one. He talks to you, but mainly he tries swinging his giant axe at you.
The Cyclops: Using the Wikibin description of the Zork Cyclops, he is a giant one eyed monster that guards the thief's lair, who cannot be killed by force.
The Thief: The closest thing to a primary antagonist in this game is the Thief. He rarely talks unless you pretend to help him. He is sneaky, cunning, and like you, also wanders the caverns of the outskirts of Quendor for treasure. He shows up randomly and sometimes tries to kill you for no reason. An attempt to fight him early on is possible, but very unlikely you'll live.
The Grue: While not seen mostly, the Grue is a darkness loving creature that attacks you in dark places. So, if you're in a dark spot, and wait too long or try to move, this tentacled thing grabs you (you don't know what it looks like except for the tentacle that gives you the comedic cane pull with a tentacle a-la Space Quest.

And that's all I've got. Hopefully, the Adventure Maker version will come after this rendition. May it be considered a FAN REMAKE and not at all an original work. Also let it be noted that I am NOT putting my idea for an AM version on the Announced Games, until I have something to show for it. Anyways, people who enjoy the series can follow this topic as it goes along, or contribute. Every contribution is considered a morale booster and will, if moved by helpfulness enough, give me the willpower and patience to release a 3-D version on Adventure Maker (of course, using the 3rd Person Plugin).
"That's a bribe."
... no it isn't.
"It SO is."
Hey, do you want to see Zork in full-color graphics or not?
"...full color graphics."
Last edited by Jaked on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:06 pm

There's nothing wrong with that, Jaked. AM wasn't meant for all game environments. I just don't care to learn another gaming tool if I don't have too. I feel like I can do better if I concentrate in one gaming tool. But, that's just me...I've got so much going on, I really cant invest time in other areas of my hobby.

Good luck with the game. Please show it off when you're done.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:58 am

Be sure to show us when done..You were always good with story lines..:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby Jaked » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:55 pm

You all are so lucky you stick with AM. It is SOO tedious to make a proper game. I'm trying to find graphics people so I'm not stuck with the burden, but even then you have to trace out where you walk, the "hotspots" (which aren't boxes, by the way), what you can walk behind, and as for making everything fit together (interacting with, using something, using inventory items on things), it's 100% scripting (easier scripting than I remember with Adventure Maker, but still.)

Anyways, I'm busy creating the main character and the troll, as they are the most early on characters. Another extra thing is that- along with being the central driving point- ancient Quendorian artifacts have magical properties, and are generally used to defeat the enemies (save the Cyclops, who uses), but the Troll, the Thief, and the Vampire Bat all die with one of the artifact's magical properties. I'm coming up with concept art and drawing the character's walk cycles on paper. And yes, that's a whole lot of information. You're welcome.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:02 pm

I looked at using AGS. The look and feel reminds me of games like Roger Wilco. And while that was one of my all time favorites, the interface is outdated. For the most part, AM gives me everything I need. Of course, there is always room for improvement and I wish it was ported to VB.Net, which would give it near unlimited power.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Well, the website is in, so if you want to contribute for either the VGA or upcoming Adventure Maker version, please contact in the Contact Us section: http://thegreatundergroundempirevga.webs.com/index.htm
Jaked
Code Master

Return to General Chat