Different character?

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Different character?

Postby Lucifer » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:06 pm

Hello Iam begginer with AM-I am planning to create an 3rd person game-can somebody tell me if I am able to change the appearance of character? I have only two (not good looking) chars-the man and robot. What i should do if i want to make some another character? For example....... Gothic girl? :)
Lucifer

Controlling the 3rd person sprite.

Postby hegel5000 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:18 pm

Okay, first, you want to make your sprite. It will be easier to understand if you choose one of the sprites that already exist so you can understand what the filename parts mean. Okay. I'm saying it's been robot, so the files look like "Robot_01_01.gif", "Robot_05_02.gif", "Robot_08_01.gif", ect. (there are 16 in mine, two pictures for each of the eight angles).

` The "Robot" part is the prefix. Choose whatever that's going to be, and also type that into the "prefix" field in the "Third Person Plugin Configuration" dialogue. For your case, it's replaced with "gothgirl". Next, the second number is the angle, I really don't know how they divide up the angles for the character, so just leave it at eight, with 1 being top, 2 being top left, 3 being right, and so on . . . 5 being down . . . . The last number is which fram of that angle. If you want there to be ten parts of the animation of her movement, then you should put in 10 as the "Number of pictures per angle" (I had 2 for my Penguin in WindowShades). Which part of the animation in the sequence frames is the third number.
hegel5000

Re: Different Character

Postby Imad » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:20 pm

Some good advice with regard to following the gif names... robot_01_05 etc. I thought that really helpfull into my investigation into using characters. I however would like to know if I can use multiple characters in my game... similar to what you'd find in Ages of Empire. I am trying to conceptualize the way of putting a children's school playground game -which would need mutliple characters.
IMAD BRADLEY
Imad

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:12 pm

With the current plugin you can't do so... You could try Wintermute Engine...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby NIKOLA » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:14 am

Lyberodoggy wrote:With the current plugin you can't do so... You could try Wintermute Engine...

in wich program can i make charakters?
NIKOLA

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:03 pm

There's a variety of programs.

Photoshop is good for 2D ones but it's very expensive
Bryce and Poser are for 3D ones.
There's also a 3d maker that comes free: Anim8or
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos