Supported 3d file types

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Supported 3d file types

Postby Artistic_Lens » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:27 pm

While my login is Artistic_Lens, it's really a joke - as I have no artistic
talents. So my question, which may seem obvious, is :
There are many different 3d graphics makers out there, some free and some
for $200 and up. Some save files as .3ds or .max or .whatever ...
and there also seem to be some "free" examples to download, in any even greater variety of file names. I am fluent in Perl, which allows me to use whatever extension I would like, subject to Unix rules, but this has me baffled.

Are all these file extensions and types supported by AM - as in can I use whatever graphic file name that the program outputs or are there a list of the "acceptable" or "useable" file types available ?
Thanks, Jim
Artistic_Lens

Postby Candle » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:05 pm

Here ya go.
Supported file types:

- Graphic files: JPG, BMP, GIF (with transparency) and animated-GIF's (without transparency)
- Vector-based graphic files: WMF and EMF (with transparency)
- Icon/cursor files: ICO and CUR
- Audio files: MP3, WMA, WAV (any sample rate and size), OGG (codec required), MID, MIDI, AU, SND, RMI, MPA, MP2, WM, and ASF.
- Video files: AVI, WMV, MPEG, MPG, MPE, M1V, WM and ASF. Note that it is possible to include a video codec in the installation package of the software created with Adventure Maker, making it possible for example to play DIVX and XVID files.
- ActiveX controls: OCX.

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/features.htm
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Supported 3d File types

Postby Artistic_Lens » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 pm

Thank you for your reply. I visited the help link. My problem seems to be that I am not asking the proper question. Some of the game engines that I have looked at suggest that they "work with" or have "links included for"
Maya or Poser or 3d Max or Cararra or lightwave, etc.
I have the professional version of AM.
When you create an animation in 3d, such as those used in 3rd person shooters, this is not typically saved as a JPG or animated GIF but rather in the format of the 3d renderering engine such as those listed above. When placing these in a frame, is there a specific type of created 3d file that
works better with AM, and what program would you feel works the easiest with regards to both AM and an un-artistic user ?
Artistic_Lens

Postby dk627 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:09 pm

I think your talking about one of the game engines that build there own levels and have those terain packs included with them
AM doesn't come with any software to make 3D images, you need to find your own

Bryce works very nice but there are some free programs that work just as well, any program that can export files as images will work fine with AM
Last edited by dk627 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dk627
Frequent Poster

3d etc.

Postby Artistic_Lens » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:37 pm

Thank you, that helped me understand what's up.
Artistic_Lens

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos