Help please, with a Picture GimpUsers..:D

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Help please, with a Picture GimpUsers..:D

Postby mercedes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:39 am

HI there..:)

I have made a picture, and would love some help on how I can make it so the Blacksquares take on the picture of the backround frame, as opposed to it being black..

I want the frames to stay, the Grid part..but would like the black part to be ..not sure if that is transparent or not..[see through] for lack of a better way of putting it..lol..? I don't think its "transparency" what I'm looking for..

I have Gimp..but am unfamiliar with it...thought perhaps someone might be able to help me through it.. :oops:

Not sure if i should work with the whole picture..or make it so I am working with one black square at a time..Or if this can even be done.. :?

I am attempting to make a grid..lol..I'ts harder then it looks to make a frame only..and have the middle be see through like..Starting to think its not possible.. :(

If this doens't or isn't possible..which i could see why..I can always go without a frame..

I have found a code on how to make a document appear transparent like..see through, but am not sure how to break it down...if anyone wants to see that..just let me know..:)
Attachments
CUSTOM INVENTORY_2.JPG
done quicky to give an idea..
CUSTOM INVENTORY_2.JPG (15.07 KiB) Viewed 3948 times
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:39 pm

Yes, you need to make the black color transparent in GIMP, and save the image in a file format that supports transparency:
Attachments
custom_inventory_2_167.gif
GIF image with transparency
custom_inventory_2_167.gif (22.86 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:52 pm

Oh ok...so it can be done..

So as it stands now..the picture you made there..the squares that we're black, will now take the form of the backround of the frame, with and icon in it also..? saying that t here is an icon in it of course..Or will just the image of the icon be there..Wondering if in AM it will appear see through like..

So now its just how to do it..:?

I gather you just hightlighted the black parts one at a time..and added alpha transparency...then Saved it as a .gif format?

I'll see if I can't do it..not very good with Gimp..will try it though..:P

Thanks for response:)

*Edit*

Not working for me..not sure how to do it I guess..Hopefully a Gimp user might come along and show me..:P I am following what directions I had before to make a picture transparent..but nothing is happeneing..like no change at all.. :?

*EDIT* I did it..yayyy...!!~

I didn't realize that after selecting the color which would be black..and then to "layer menu"..add "Alpha Transparency"...nothing happens..But then i hit "Clear"..which is what did it..That was an accident..LOL..but it worked. I gather hitting clear cleared the image right out of there after adding transparency..:?

By the way, do you know if I'm able to do just half transparencys..like not completly see through..but semi transparent?

Thanks Mystery..:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:11 am

I think creating semi-transparency should be possible to do.

But I can't give you a step-by-step tutorial without trying it out myself for which I don't have time right now :?
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos