Video Letterboxing Concerns

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Video Letterboxing Concerns

Postby Sedani Studio » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:44 pm

Hi all! I am having a bit of trouble with letterboxing when I place a video in my current project, and would appreciate any help. Here's the basic problem: when I create my animation (400 x 300) in Vue 6, I like to do it in uncompressed format and then run it through a video editor for compression in order to improve the quality/filesize balance. Unfortunately, both video editing programs that I use (Adobe Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas Home Studio Platinum 8) import the video at 720 x 480, and even when I change the format to a 4:3 ratio like 640 x 480, the output is still letterboxed. In my project, the video is used to create a "turning" effect in a room from a north to east view (the video pans from a north view to an east view then the game switches to the frame with the east view), but when the hotspot is clicked, the video that I've created is letterboxed, so the edges of the frame behind the video are still visible, even though I've chosen to stretch the video to 800 x 600 in AM. What I need to figure out how to do is import the video in as 400 x 300 into the video editor and keep it that way when it's exported, and without the letterboxing.

In one case, I did get the edges of the frame to disappear, but the problem was that the output video still had the black frame around it (which covered the frame). But since the original frame of the video is identical to what the players sees as the hotspot is clicked (i.e. the north view), essentially the frame gets "shrunk" as the animation occurs. Doesn't look so good!

By the way, I've tried reducing the safe area and the title safe area to 0%, but that didn't work, either.

Thanks in advance,

- Ian
Sedani Studio

Postby Jaked » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:58 am

:P Welcome to the forums. Vue 6, I don't own it nor do I care. But do you mean putting an animation-like sequence on a scene in the game or something? I so animations with an early edition of Poser 4, and if the hotspot is bigger than the animation, black border! So, I don't understand nor can I help. Sorry.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Letterboxing Problem

Postby Sedani Studio » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:56 am

It's me again - thanks to those who either have or will post a response. I was able to fix the problem by using a combination of a pre-existing template and then proportionally modifying the dimensions. Although I thought I'd already tried that, apparently that was how to do it because it's working great now.

Sorry for the false alarm! It was nice to know that I could count on some responses, though!
Sedani Studio

Postby Mystery » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:38 am

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm glad to hear that you've been able to fix the problem :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos