OMG; I'm downloading everything

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

OMG; I'm downloading everything

Postby Kat12 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:56 pm

I am going crazy, lol.
I've downloaded and tried almost every 3D program i could find , and I like Google Sketchup the most because it has so many great tutorials. But how do I use Sketchup in AM?

I also am using (or attempting to use, lol) the free Daz Studio and Bryce 5.5, and I bought the light version of Carrara yesterday. I joined the platinum club and was able to download a ton of free things to go with them. I find Daz and Bryce easier to use than Carrara, but maybe it's because it's new?

I'm finding it's hard to find tutorials that match the most recently released versions of some programs.

I know absolutely nothing about animation or 3D; I just want to be able to make some nice backgrounds for my future games, and I want to be able to make a 3D person for the game that isn't that man or that robot.
How do I take, say, one of Daz's people, and put them into AM?

Thanks;
Kathy :oops:
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby Mystery » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:01 pm

Whatever 3D software you are using, you need to render the image (as .jpg or .bmp) or the created animation (as .avi for example) in order to use it with AM. Then just import the image or video in your AM project :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Zenoc2 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Easy there, tiger. Before you go buying lots of 3D products, try out all of the free ones to see if they work for you. SketchUp is a great one for beginners like yourself. As for getting the stuff you've made into AM, Mystery is right- you'll need to export images (and once you've gotten more experienced, animations) from your 3D program. Some programs come with renderers, to give your images light, shadows, and more realistic scenes. With SketchUp, you'll either need a rendering plugin, or a separate rendering program. There's a lot of great, free stuff out there for SketchUp.
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Imari » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Holy cow! Take a breath. That's a lot of questions. :D

AM uses 2D, pre-rendered frames/backgrounds. In order to make frames/backgrounds for AM, you'll need to create the images in JPG format to the size in pixels (800 x 600, 1024 x 768, etc.) that you want your game to be. You can do this in any of the programs that you mentioned.

I use Poser instead of Daz Studio for human figures, but both programs are roughly comparable. In order to get the human figures "into" AM, you will first need to pose, dress, and animate them in Poser or DS. You can then render the animation in that same program and save it using which ever codex you choose (Xvid seems to be the choice here at AM). AM does not import 3d meshes, so it's the video file that you'll use in AM.

I hope that gets you started, but before you find yourself running in circles, I'd really recommend that run through the tutorials for AM and read at least the first few sections of the manual here --->
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/contents.htm.
Imari
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Well, I think trying out different 3D software is a good idea. I've done that myself (downloaded free software, and also evaluation versions of commercial ones) to figure out with which one I could get along best. This is really a very subjective thing, and therefore it's something that you need to figure out for yourself.
Currently I'm mainly working with a free one, Art of Illusions, and it can do pretty everything that I need. I really like it.
Google SketchUp is also a great software, I got that, too.
Character creation is another question, and DAZ Studio is pretty good for that.
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:24 pm

Zenoc2 wrote:Easy there, tiger...

Tiger :arrow: Kat12

Good one, Zenoc2 :lol:

Kat12, you have a lot of ambition! I've tried some 3D stuff, but I keep going back to 2D...you'll be there before me! :wink:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:11 am

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the great responses. I'll try to address everyone in this one email.

Mystery, I didn't know we could use .avi in AM; I thought it had to be flash or ...that one starting with the letter "G"...I forget, lol. If we can use .avi files that's great...do we just hit the import button?
Oh, and I found Art of Illusion last night; what a coincidence that you mentioned that you like it. So far I really like it too, and managed to make the 3D hour glass from the first tutorial. I really like the way they wrote their manual. I also found something called sweet home, for interiors. It sort of reminds me of my Sim games. OH, and did you know that we can make movies using the Sims 2 as long as we put "Made with Sims 2" at the end? I would love to be able to use that game. I make my own houses and characters, but I don't make my own objects yet. There are a ton of Sims 2 movies here: http://www.sims99.com/sims-machinima.php
I think it would be cool to use Sims2 movies that I make in the games; sort of as transitions between major scenes (e.g., a helicopter flying to an Island).

LOL Zenoc, "Tiger"...funny! My friends always call me "Kat"; I'll have to tell them I've been upgraded, lol.
I am trying all the free ones, but I got carried away and bought Carrara 7Express...it was under $20.00 so I didn't mind paying for it.

Imari, I'm taking a breath, lol. I did read the tutorials and most of the manual pertaining to making games in Windows format (without any form of scripting). It's how I found out about Bryce...one of the tutorials used Bryce so off I went to find it, and that led me to Daz, which led me to...you get the picture, lol. I do need to pick one and stick with it. It is fun to try all of the different programs but I was going crazy, and I couldn't remember what half of the things I downloaded were for, lol.

Reneuend, thanks for calling it "ambition"...I was thinking "obsessive", lolol. I'm having fun though.

I did make my first game, except it's not really a game...I was just trying to learn how to use AM. I had to use the lamp and key from the tutorial and it bugged me that I didn't know how to make my own...that was also one of the reasons why I went in search of programs.

Here's a link to my first game, if anyone wants to see it.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/newmljndoyi/Camp my first game.exe

Take care,
Kat
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby Mystery » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:44 am

You mean GIF? (for the "something with G")
Yes, it's possible to use videos in AM.
You can add them from the Frame Properties; or the Hotspot Properties. You need to go to the "Action" Tab, and select "Play A Video".
Then you'll see a button telling you to click it to import the video file :)
You've managed to do the glass hour? That's great! :D
Learning 3D takes some time, but if you're patient enough and have perseverance, it will pay at the end :)
I'm going to check out your game tomorrow :)
Mystery

Postby Kat12 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:20 am

Thank you Mystery!
Woohoo! I am soooo happy...it worked. Now, how do I get back into my frames after playing the movie so the game can continue?
PS: I'm going to be able to make my game a lot better now; woohoo!
Kat
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby Mystery » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:10 am

I usually choose the timer.
In the Frame Properties on the General Tab -> Enable Timer (to go to another frame after a time).
You need to figure out when the video is over, sometimes you need to play with the timer settings until everything looks smooth :)
For videos started from the Hotspot Properties, you'll probably need scripting :)
Mystery

Postby Kat12 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks again Mystery! It works!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with inventory items after they collect them, lol. Is there any way to put them down somewhere? I searched under "inventory" and "what to do with inventory items" but I didn't find anything. It's 5:11 AM and I'm going crosseyed from lack of sleep so I'd better get to bed or I'm going to start resembling the skeleton in your picture ;-0.
Goodnight...er, morning, lol.
Kat
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby Mystery » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:02 pm

You might want to check out this tutorial in the Help Files:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/tech ... #open_door

and my online tutorial for beginners:
http://www.adventuremaker.mysterys-game ... index.html
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Kat12 wrote:Thanks again Mystery! It works!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with inventory items after they collect them, lol. Is there any way to put them down somewhere? I searched under "inventory" and "what to do with inventory items" but I didn't find anything. It's 5:11 AM and I'm going crosseyed from lack of sleep so I'd better get to bed or I'm going to start resembling the skeleton in your picture ;-0.
Goodnight...er, morning, lol.
Kat

The player drags the item from the inventory on top of a hotspot. Then you can set it up so something happens when this occurs.
example: if you have a hammer in your inventory and one of the hotspots on the screen is a nut. Then you set it up so that when the player drags the hammer to the nut it will break the nut open (usually done by going to a different frame with the nut broken open or by changing out the picture on the hotspot...much like flipping a switch in the demo that comes with AM). Hard to explain, but if you use the tutorial from AM then you will begin to understand as you experiment. It's easier then it sounds.

After get used to the basics, then you can start looking at plugins that will enhance the gaming experience. For instance, I'm looking at ShadowHunter's latest plugin update KeyGuard 4.0. With this, I can have the user pick a hammer from a custom inventory and actually show the hammer as the mouse pointer, then when the player clicks the hammer on the nut, I will to go to a new frame that will animate a hammer crushing the nut. This new plugin is really going to make some awesome games!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Mystery, your tutorial is awesome! I did the tutorials on AM's main pages and I knew how to pick up a key, but I couldn't make it open the door. That is so cool! Your tutorial is so nice and clear and easy to understand. I really appreciate it; and I bet other newbies do too.

Reneuend, that plugin sounds amazing! I'm still getting used to AM; there is so much to learn. I got sidetracked by downloading all sorts of animator programs and I forgot what I'd already learned; I'm going to have to start taking notes, lol.

I'd love to see some of the games you both made; I'll look for them.

Thanks,
kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby Mystery » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi Kat,

Thanks for your kind words, I'm really happy to hear that my tutorial is helpful :D
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Kat12 wrote: I got sidetracked by downloading all sorts of animator programs and I forgot what I'd already learned...

I went through the same thing last fall :lol:

I have an Adventure Maker folder under "My Documents" that I keep notes in. Also, you might want to create one document that contains everything you find helpful so you can just go to one place. I used MS Word and did this. It seems to work pretty good. I still go back to it because you spend most of your time drawing when you make these games that by the time you get to use AM, you forget how to use some of it! I started making little games so I could keep my feet in AM while working on bigger projects!

Anyway, best of luck. There are a LOT of helpful people on this forum. You've come to the right place! I hope you don't lose your excitement! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:22 pm

Great idea Reneuend; I have microsoft word; I'll just start taking notes with it while I read.

I don't normally lose my excitement until I run out of new things to learn and the things I'm doing become routine; I can't see that happening with this, lol. It took me forever just to model an hourglass using the first tutorial in Art of Illusion, and even with the tutorial I couldn't get the wood pattern to stick on the top piece of the hourglass holder, even though it said that it was set for it in the properties box.

Mystery, your tutorial was more than helpful; it didn't make me go cross eyed trying to understand it, lol.
I'm going to have to learn a whole new vocabulary so I can stop saying things like "that thing that starts with the letter G" (you were right; I meant "Gif" but the word "Gimp" was in the way, lol).

I am soooo tired. I only slept for a few hours because my dogs woke me up. I'd take a nap but then I'll be up all night again tonight. Guess I'd better go make more coffee, lol.

Take care,
Kat

PS: I dreamed that I was inside the forum talking with you all and I asked if it was ok to save things to my D drive because my C drive was full, lol.
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:11 pm

Wait until you dream you are in one of your own adventure games! :oops:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Zenoc2 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:15 pm

Oh, I'm guilty of that too, Reneuend. :)

Tiger, (yes, you have been upgraded) if you have enough patience to learn Art of Illusion, you're well on your way to making some great games. Rest up, and keep up the good work!
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 am

I've received some PMs and emails with basic questions of new users. And I remembered that also I had some troubles with the text only tutorials in the help files when I started. So I tried to think back what would have helped me to get started with AM, and according to this I created this little tutorial :)

Hehe, I can relate, when I'm into game making, I'm drinking a lot of coffee and work through the nights :lol:

And also I had some AM dreams, not about being in my adventures, but I dreamed already 3 times that the active members plus GM-Support had some conference at the university to discuss about AM :lol:
Mystery

Postby ZeornWarlock » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:15 am

Just saw this topic...

Kat,

Most have answered your questions and gave you good suggestions already, however. I was a platinum club member at DAZ for almost two years. So maybe I can give you some suggestions there. First, most models sold at DAZ are created for DAZ Studio and Poser in mind. They have a few Bryce, Carrara too. Oh and maybe Vue, not sure thought. Make sure they are compatible with what you own and with the program you need to work with. Last and most important suggestion with DAZ is make sure you wait patiently for sales. Try to avoid buying items at DAZ while they are full price. Sometimes items can reach ridiculous 70%+ discounts. (Especially with DAZ original models, like the millennium figures.)

I own both Poser and Daz Studio and they pretty much do the same, however DAZ Studio is the better renderer in my opinion. Thought, with poser you can modify models, like creating brand new morphs and you can also create figures, which DAZ Studio cannot do, however DAZ Studio can read the poser created stuff.

If you intend to buy many 3D stuff, I suggest you shop around at other stores like Renderosity, Content Paradise and Runtime DNA to name a few. Poserworld and Vanishing Point are also great places. Many folks create free models too, however, always ask permission to use them, especially for commercial purposes.

In any case, welcome to the world of 3D. :) I am also an extensive user of DAZ Studio and Bryce, especially that they can bridge together, which give them unlimited possibilities with renders. Bryce is great for AM as you can make panoramic view images. Add DAZ Studio figures and props and voila a whole new 3D world to play with.

If ever you consider doing your own models, you now have Carrara to do so. I never purchased Carrara, being busy with Bryce and DAZ Studio. I use Hexagon 2.5 for creating my own models and it is also sold at DAZ. Once in a while I sometimes use Canvas 3D Pro.

If ever you have more questions, feel free to ask. :)

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby 3dgamer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:30 am

Hi Kat,

Welcome to the forum! :) You are getting a lot of good advice from members with this thread so I won't add too much to it.

ZeornWarlock wrote:...If ever you consider doing your own models, you now have Carrara to do so. I never purchased Carrara, being busy with Bryce and DAZ Studio. I use Hexagon 2.5 for creating my own models and it is also sold at DAZ.

Like ZeornWarlock said, if you are considering doing your own models, Carrara is an app. you can use for that. It has a great renderer and other professional features that other apps that cost much more, don't have. The express version does have some limitations, but if you do use Hexagon 2.5 and import your models to Carrara, you can render full pictures there. Hexagon is a good modeler and is a companion app. to Carrara.

Carrara has also been streamlined to import pre-made models, so you kinda get the best of both worlds; you can design from scratch or use pre-made models with Carrara.

DAZ Studio and Bryce are good too, but DAZ Studio's strength is with pre-made models, Bryce can do both scratch modeling and pre-made model importation, though it is not as powerful as Carrara.

The main thing is to figure out what you want to do: do you want to design models from scratch or is using free or purchased models satisfactory for your needs? That will be the best test to figure out which app. you would like to ultimately put your time into, to learn.

Well, enjoy the world of 3D and AM!
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Kat12 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I've been away for a bit; my uncle passed away and I had the wake to attend. This morning is the funeral. He was 75, and he'd been sick for the last month, but he was released from the hospital a few days before he died so we all thought he was getting better.

Thank you all so much for your advice and help; I really appreciate it. I don't have a computer background (I have a psychology/education background) so this is all new to me. I discovered the Sims2 last year; I bought it because I wrote a children's book manuscript (fiction) and I was having a hard time keeping track of where my characters lived, and it was disconcerting to go back and read my rough draft and find out that a house that was white in chapter 1 magically turned green in chapter 4, lol. So I bought that game so I could make the neighbourhoods in my book so I wouldn't forget what they looked like or where they were, lol, and I got hooked. Then last fall I discovered Adventure Games and OMG, I was so hooked again. I just love being able to "go into" their world; it's so much fun. I kept thinking that I'd love to be able to learn to make my own games, but it seemed like a pipe dream until I googled "making adventure games" and found AM. I can't wait until I can learn how to use it properly so I can start to make games with a storyline.

I'd better go drink my coffee now and get ready for the funeral.

Take care,
kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby Mystery » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your uncle passed away. :(

Kat12 wrote:I don't have a computer background (I have a psychology/education background) so this is all new to me.

Same here, I also have the same background as you, but this doesn't hold me back to try my best to dive into the world of computers, 3D and game creation :lol:
Take your time, play around with 3D software a bit to figure out with what you get a long best, and then have perseverance to learn to use it according to your needs :)
Mystery

Postby Kat12 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi Mystery,
Thanks for the condolences. It was sudden, but I guess it's better that he went suddenly than lingering and suffering. He was very unique and eccentric and we're all going to miss him a lot.

How funny that we both have the same educational backgrounds, lol.

I see that you're in Switzerland; wow! I'm in Canada.

Take care,
Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos