Books with turning pages

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Books with turning pages

Postby Kat12 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know how to make images that look like open books with pages that turn? I'd want to write on the pages.
Thanks,
Kathy :)
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:27 pm

Do you mean animated?

I use PaintShop Pro's page curling tool. (not animated)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:23 pm

I don't know if I mean animated, lol. I suppose I can just link pages together with hotspots, right?
Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Do you want the curled page to be the background of your frame? If so, I'll draw one up and send it to you, just tell me what size you would like. Is this aged paper or new? lined or plain? Don't worry I don't need to know the weight! :)

Would you like it to animate when a hotspot is clicked and it goes to a new frame? That would be kind of cool. Like a reading a story. :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:01 am

Hi Reneuend,
Thanks for offering; you are so kind!
I managed to figure it out though.

Yes, I wanted it so that when the curled part of the page is clicked, the player goes to the next page...just like a story. It's pretty cool.

I noticed that the top shows up when I run the project to test it...that bar where it says exit, debug, etc. Does that go away on it's own when the game is finished; I can't remember?

I've been cracking up laughing all afternoon. I have an African Grey Parrot, and there's nothing crazier than listening to sound effects with a parrot in the house, lol. She was imitating them, and laughing out loud over some of them. I clicked on a voice sound effect where a man's voice said "Get the door!" and Smokey (my parrot) immediately did the knocking sound, lolol.

If only I could get her to do sounds on command I'd be rich. She can mimic anything she hears, perfectly.

Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 am

What a cool bird! :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure exactly what your situation is with the menu at the top. Does it stay open all the time? It should only display when you right click the mouse; when you click the left mouse button, it will collapse the menu.

If you need to, you can turn the menu off, but then you'll have to manually put in an inventory, save, and load routine. It's not hard to do, but just some extra steps, and you shouldn't need to do this!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Imari » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:41 am

I've noticed that in most games that on-click, just are just moved to the next page in the book with a "page turning" sound. It works. If you need an example, there's one in the demo that Lyberodoggy and I did a while back. Graphics are in the "SDK" version if you want to play with it. It's here --->
http://rapidshare.com/files/217444805/AdventureQuest_SDK.zip

I have a conure. Though he's a real sweetheart, I've never been able to teach him to talk. He can, however, imitate the phone ringing, the microwave beeping, the doorbell ringing, and the alarm clock going off. :? :P
Imari
VIP

Postby Kat12 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:08 am

Thanks Reneuend; she is a really cool bird. She's 19 years old, and I've had her since she was a baby. I have an 18 year old poodle too (and a 8 year old poodle and a 4 year old poodle, lol).

The menu stays open all the time, or it did. I deleted all the frames and started over; hopefully it won't show up this time.

Hi Imari,
Your bird sounds nice too. There used to be a Conure in the mall near my house (when I lived in the Toronto area). The bird could never be sold because the pet store was across the aisle from a video arcade and the bird could (and did) imitate all of the various sounds. Loudly, lol.

I did do the page turning with the sounds; that's the sound I was looking for this afternoon...I found it but got carried away downloading all sorts of sounds, lol. Smokey really enjoyed that. She's a good talker, and she does all of the sounds (microwave, smoke alarm, toilet flushing, lol) too. She seems to enjoy the sound effects; she must be happy to be able to expand her repertoire (sp?).
I used to play the guitar...I'd tape songs I wanted to play, listen to them repeatedly, and then try to play them. Smokey could never seem to understand why I couldn't mimic the sounds like she could...whenever I'd make a mistake she'd holler "NO! Stop it! Bad girl Kathy!"
LOL.

I'm so tired; I've been at this all day...I did take a tv break for an hour but that's it. I didn't realize this would be so addictive, lol.

Well, goodnight!
Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby reneuend » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:19 am

Kat12 wrote:... Smokey could never seem to understand why I couldn't mimic the sounds like she could...whenever I'd make a mistake she'd holler "NO! Stop it! Bad girl Kathy!"
LOL.

I'm so tired; I've been at this all day...I did take a tv break for an hour but that's it. I didn't realize this would be so addictive, lol.

Well, goodnight!
Kathy

Your bird cracks me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean about addictive. I keep coming up with different ideas and can't stop myself from trying them out right away. I blame ShadowHunter for my sleep deprivation! :)

It's after 2am...I better get some sleep! :shock:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:36 am

:D :shock: :oops: I'm still awake too Reneuend,lolol.
I've been searching AM for help on how to let the player inspect items that are in inventory. You know...if they pick up a note, I want them to be able to read it, but the items are sooo small. I know I can just leave the items where they are and not use them as inventory items...that way I can link them to a frame with a bigger version of the same item so it can be read...but I'd like for it to be in the inventory.
I've played games where I could click on the items in my inventory and they somehow got bigger so I could read them...almost like clicking on the inventory items another frame, but I can't figure out how to do it.
I don't even know if I'm explaining this right, lol.
I'm going to bed for sure now, lol.
Hope you get some sleep too!
Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Postby mercedes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:49 am

Hi Kat..:D

I love parrots..! any birds..I find them fascinating..My sister in-law had a parrot..She couldnt' be there for it all the time..Birds like that need human contact..alot of it..So we convinced her to give it to someone that could be there for him..They're pretty expensive too..I think she paid 2000.00 for it......:shock:

On another note..~

For your inventory..U can put a magnifying glass in your inventory..Have it appear in your frame----First one that loads..or whenever---Be it an item they pick up or have it appear automatically when the frame loads.

Then have the user drag the magnifying glass to the item.-----Big item appears..
You can have it go to another frame..However i suggest having a big hotspot the user can look at with the note..
Then U can either have the user click an X in the corner of the big hotspot with note-----to close it..Or have it dissappear when the user clicks the hotspot itself...You can have it go to another frame too..:D

There may be other creative ways to do this of course..:D
For instance, if u didn't want to use the AM's inventory..and have it so the user click the note itself-----where it's at in the frame--
..And at that point----A big hotspot would load then too..~ Or go to another frame..

Let us know if that explains it right...and one of us can provide a link to some useful stuff..~:D

There is a way of doing the first description only going to a frame..in the Help documents..--The help link on the side within AM~ You can view it offline or online..:D

Peace..
mercedes
VIP

Postby reneuend » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Hey Kat!

Here is the link to the online help that will show you one method for "investigating" something in inventory.
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/vbscript_techniques.htm#examine_inventory

The image below will show you what to look for. Just post back if you need more help! Good luck! :)
Attachments
investigate_inventory_option.jpg
investigate_inventory_option.jpg (43.75 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Kat12 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi Reneuend and Mercedes,
Thank you so much...I did it! I read the part in AM about combining items but I didn't see an option for letting the person go to another frame so I thought there must be another way. I ended up using VBscript to do it and it worked. I am just learning VBS so I'm not sure of myself yet. I just followed the instructions and it worked out well though, woohoo!
Thanks so much!
Kathy
Kat12
Frequent Poster

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos