Adding sound to an existing video~

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Adding sound to an existing video~

Postby mercedes » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:42 am

Hi there..:D

I was just wondering..I want to make a video, but have a voice- in the background, while the video is playing..But the video is an existing video..~ not clips of pictures..

So say it's like a tour, tutorial..ect.. and while video is playing-- You hear a voice in the background~

I know I need a mic..not sure what kind..
Also, need software-for voice recording- ?
Anyone know a good recording software...?

And how do i add it to the video..so i'ts in sync..

Can i do it as one big clip/file 'watching' the video and talking into the mic..Then add it in...Can that be done?

I would prefer it to go with it..as opposed to it playing as a channel..I want one all together video..with sound in it..:D

Can someone help me please, taking me through the steps a bit....:D

T.I.A for any responses..:D~
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Two programs that should be on your computer if you have windows. Windows movie maker, and a voice recorder.

You say there is already a voice in the video. Do you want to talk over that voice or have that voice gone? You can play the movie and record it with a program called Auto Screen recorder 2.0. It records video but not audio. Youd be making a silent video of the original video. You can then play it in windows movie maker and record your voice, then add the voice clip to the video and create a new video.

Or if you dont want to remove the voice already in the video, just play the video while running the voice recorder. Record what you want, then add the video clip and your sound clip to windows movie maker and create a new video clip.

I will have more time on my hands after tomorrow. I might be able to make a how-to video for this.

Edit: I forgot to add a few things. Do a search in your computer for Sound Recorder. If you have windows I'm pretty sure youll have it. Also do the search for windows movie maker. Should also be on your computer somewhere. As for a mic, do you have any walmart stores up there? If so, just get a cheap one. I have a cheap mic, I forget how much I paid. Dont get the mic/headset combo, they are usually junk. I have one you can clip on your shirt, but they also have regular mics.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby pennsteve » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:50 pm

I guess my reply didnt help. Or perhaps I misunderstood what you wanted to do.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:35 pm

Or maybe she just didn't have the time yet to try it out :)
I'm sure she'll post back as soon as she has read and tried.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:25 am

Hey..:D

no i didn't even see all of the posts.. :? -Normally i get mail ..I got Mystery's..but not yours Steve..

I need a mic..so your basically saying I can do this without added software..? And I can add it to my video later..making one video with my voice in it..?..

I'll be getting a mic this weekend..

There is no voice in the video..I want to add it later on..basically in sync with the video..
I've never worked with Windows Movie maker..

Do u know what the resolution output is..in Windows Movie maker..Can it be anything..?

Thanks for response..:D:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:39 pm

I only know that when you create the movie, it gives you a few different options. Not sure about resolution.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:24 pm

The easiest software I've used for dubbing over a video was Ulead Video Factory. I got it free when I bought a converter. I looked online and saw that not only has been upgraded a few times since I owned it, but it costs $60 now. At least it has a 30 trial period if you would like to try it out first.

I'm using Vegas Movie Studio 9 now....it has a difficult learning curve but I hear it's suppose to be very good. I haven't gotten far enough to find out yet!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby pennsteve » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:09 pm

Mercedes, you didnt say if you have windows movie maker and sound recorder on your computer. It SHOULD be there somewhere. If you have them, simply use window media player (or whatever player is your default).

Open the video in the windows media player. Open sound recorder. When I open my sound recorder I have to adjust the mic level, otherwise its set too low.

You have to time it right. Start the video, and quickly start the sound recorder. Speak into the mic as the video plays. when you are done, save the sound file.

Now open windows movie maker. Drag the video and the sound recording to the movie maker. Youll then have to drag them down into the timeline. You can slide the sound file around until you get it where you want it, so its in sync with the video. After you have it the way you want it, click "save to my computer", and it will give you other options.

If you need help with movie maker you can send me an IM in my yahoo name. If I am online, I will help you in real-time. :)
pennsteve
Expert Member

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos