How do you 3D Modelers do it?

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

How do you 3D Modelers do it?

Postby reneuend » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:54 pm

I just purchased Poser 8 at 60% off. It's amazingly complex.

I admire and envy all you 3D modelers!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:04 am

I have never used Poser, so I can't tell much about it. But Poser is not a modeling software as far as I know? Isn't it rather used for character animation?

But yeah, it's not easy to start out with 3D modeling; I've worked successfully with different software in the past, but I never got the hang of Blender and Caligari Truespace for example.

And you won't believe my very first experience some years ago - it took me 1 week to figure out how to position the camera, so that something was actually visible on the screen and not just a black hole, lol :lol:
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby reneuend » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Poser is character modeling...with a some animation features. However, I'm using Anim Studio Pro for animation.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:19 pm

I use iClone now. It sounds stupid but it works okay.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby juhuwoorps » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:31 pm

I also use i clone.its very easy to use for small character animations
juhuwoorps
Code Master

You can model

Postby Harvester » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Poser and 3d modelling? :? Maybe just I missed something but during my few years with Poser (5,6,7) I did not find or use any particular modelling tools in it. Haven't seen 8 yet.

While I worked more actively on 3d modelling skills, I used Lightwave which I think is fine for basic modelling for learners but when it comes to complicated issues, it requires a lot of research and studying... I also gave a try to Maya's learning edition (since that was free) and bought a book on that. Seemingly that's a bit easier to grasp but unaffordably expensive for me.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Imari » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:09 pm

reneuend, Harvester's correct. You can't really model in Poser, but you can compose, animate, and render using the premade items available at Renderosity, Daz and other sites. Lots of free stuff is available so that you ca experiment with it. Download the DAZ figures and look at some of the beginner tutorials on their site and at R'osity.

As an aside, Anime Studio 5 was free a while back at Content Paradise. It might still be.
Imari
VIP

IClone

Postby martin cranshaw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 am

juhuwoorps wrote:I also use i clone.its very easy to use for small character animations

I have posted links to IClone 5 and other animation software on my website
agudo-animations.com
Hope it is helpful
Martin
martin cranshaw

Postby Simon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm

The best to learn is 3dsmax :twisted:

You can import external 3D models (from web libraries or from poser/DAZ, or Zbrush/mud) or model them yourself.
You can animate easily with the biped.
You can make great renders with the included renderer Mental Ray (used for Riven !).
And there are so many great tools !

Well, when I said 3dsmax is the best, it was a kind of joke, because some prefer Maya, others Cinema4D, it's a matter of feeling... but honestly, if you really really want to make 3D, you have to use one of those.

The trouble is still the price, but you can get the student version for free which will leave a watermark on your pictures. Great to learn and see if you like... Then if you chose to go further, you can buy a full stand alone licence for 4500$ :x

The best free solution is blender of course (quite hard to learn anyways), but this soft is amazing and as complete as the others.

For those who want to model like it was some sculpture by hand, you can try Zbrush or Mudbox....
Else, you need to learn the traditional modeling technique ; just search for tutorials about "box modeling". This is the beginner's way ! Needs hours of training, but it's not that hard. It's more a question of logic.

All I can say is : if you want to make 3D, just be sure you have enough time ! You won't do anything in a few minutes :o
Simon
Expert Member

Postby method321 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 pm

I personally use Carrara 8 pro, and do my own modeling/texturing.
I have worked with both Maya and Cinema4D, but really enjoy Carrara.

If you have existing poser/daz content, it works well inside of carrara as well. You can also find pretty decent content at renderosity, contentparadise, as well as the DAZ store, if you rather utilize generic pre-built models vs building you own.

I am by no means an expert, it is a hobby and I have been tinkering in it for several years and still learning. I would suggest you learn a 2d application first (i use photoshop) once you have a strong handle on 2d, then move into 3d, as your 2d skills will still apply for texturing and post work.

my work flow is the following:

Model / UV map in Carrara
General texture creation in Genetica
Specialized textures and post render work in Photoshop.
If you can get a handle on all three of these, you are a one-stop shop, and can pretty much build what you need. But it is quite time intensive. But for me, i don't mind putting in the time, as i enjoy the learning process and it's awesome when you see your skills improving!

links:
Carrara http://www.daz3d.com/shop/carrara-software/

training bundle: http://www.infiniteskills.com/training/ ... undle.html
method321

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos