This is how to play Quicktime movies in AM

This forum is meant for people to share their knowledge by writing their own tutorials for Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

This is how to play Quicktime movies in AM

Postby GM-Support » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:03 am

Hi,

Did you know that you can play quicktime movies in AM?

To do so, in addition to installing Quicktime (any version, even just the Player is ok), you also need to install what is called a "DirectShow Quicktime filter". A "DirectShow Quicktime filter" allows any application that is based on the Windows Media Player (such as AM) to play Quicktime files.

You can download a free DirectShow Quicktime filters from many publishers.
Here is one:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Qui ... native.htm
And here is another one:
http://www.download3k.com/Software-Deve ... ource.html

After installing the "DirectShow Quicktime filter", you need to manually rename your Quicktime files into .AVI. To do so, simply change the file extension from .MOV to .AVI from the Windows Explorer.

If you cannot see the .MOV extension under Windows Explorer, it is very likely that Windows is hiding it.

In this case, to properly rename the file, you need to uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types" from the Explorer "Folder Options" window. It is very simple. You can see a walkthrough with screenshots at the following URL:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=193

If are still unable to import your file into AM, it is probably because the file was not renamed properly. Double-check the previous paragraph.

Note: the end-users of your games will need to install Quicktime (Player) and the "DirectShow Quicktime filter" too in order to see the videos. If the license of Quicktime allows you to do so, you can very easily include it in the installation package of your game, and have it automatically install during the installation of your game.

Best regards,

GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Imari » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:19 pm

This is great news, GM. I hope that if someone gets QuickTime files working in AM, that they will let us know and put up a demo.

The use of QT Alternative, however, appears to have some legal issues. The developers of it have removed it from their codec packages due to threats from Apple, who claimed that KL Software made unauthorized use of the QT code. (My "authority" for this is wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth.)

The second link to the "MediaLooks QT DirectShow Source Filter" is to a 30 day trial of a program that costs $500 per developer seat, plus unspecified distribution costs. Though pricey, this company does seem to have a number of very useful filters, including one for embedding Flash in DirectShow. (MediaLooks mentions on their site that their programs use their own proprietary code, so hopefully they are legal.) The company does offer "MediaLooks QuickTime Plugin", which is described as "a free end-user version of MediaLooks' QuickTime DirectShow Source". I don't know if it's suitable for use with AM or whether there are distribution costs to be paid, but here's the link to it -
http://www.medialooks.com/products/multimedia_tools.html
Imari
VIP

Postby Candle » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:35 pm

Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby GM-Support » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks a lot Imari for this information.

GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby JasonMc » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 am

QT Alternative is indeed illegal, from what I've been able to dig up, so that's not an option.

I found a legal DirectShow QuickTime codec that is free for personal, non-commercial use. As my company is commercial, I'm getting a quote on their prices. I'll post what I find out. In the meantime, here's the link.

MediaLooks

EDIT: GAAAH! The QuickTime Directshow filter costs $1,125 per application (unlimited copies, tho)! I think, for anyone doing commercial projects, the best bet is to just use a Windows format.

Ow. X(
-Jason McDonald
Manager, Programmer
MousePaw Games

--
PocketWatch 1.0 Plugin now available in the Plugins Corner!
JasonMc

Return to Post Your Own Tutorials