New AM 4.4 Alpha1: Export to html and create online games!

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

New AM 4.4 Alpha1: Export to html and create online games!

Postby GM-Support » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:39 am

Dear forum members and AM users,

I am happy to announce the release of Adventure Maker 4.4 Alpha1 that introduces for the first time an experimental "export to html" feature!

You will find the feature under the Project Menu (see attached screenshot). The feature is still under development, and may not produce the result that you would expect.

To use it, just open your project (you can open for example the "demo of game for the portable gaming system", which works particularly well), click "Export to HTML", choose the location where you want to save the HTML files, and then click OK. Once finished, you can preview the game on your computer by double-clicking the file "index.html".

Note: when you open your game locally with IE, you may see a message at the top of the page saying that the game uses javascript, and asking for the authorization to execute it. However, the message disappears when you put your game online. So, once your game is on a website, your players won't get any annoying messages of this kind.

Again, the "Export to HTML; feature is still under development, and therefore it is very incomplete (it is still in the alpha stage, not even in the beta). However, you can already use it to create very simple online point-and-click games, like the demo that I have uploaded to the following location:

DEMO OF ONLINE GAME MADE WITH THE ALPHA1:

EDIT: link no longer available because a newer build has been released.

SUPPORTED BROWSERS:

I have successfully tested it on the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer 6 and 7
- Firefox 1.0 (I guess it works on v1.5 and v2 too, please confirm)
- Safari 3 beta

Please let me know if you notice any problems with the browsers above or with any other browsers.

DOWNLOAD:

You can download AM 4.4 Alpha1 from the following location (16MB):
(download removed because a newer build is available)

FEATURES:

This is what you CAN do with the Alpha1:
- Move from frame to frame (create interactive visits).
- Use integer variables to create puzzles (all the options under the "variables" tab of the Hotspot Properties are supported).
- Use both transparent and graphical hotspots.
- Display text messages at the bottom of the screen.
- Use timers to go to another frame after X seconds (from the Frame Properties window).
- Use animated GIF's.

This is what you CANNOT do with the Alpha1:
- Display cursors
- Play sounds
- Create savegames
- Use the inventory (instead, you can use an integer to remember whether the item was picked up or not - see the sample game above for an example)
- Play videos
- Display text at any position of the frame (the text that you create by right-clicking on a frame)
- Use VBScript
- Use plugins (3rd person plugin, panoramas, etc.)
- All the other advanced features.

More features will be added in the upcoming alpha releases.

Stay tuned for updates, and please provide as much feedback as possible.

Thanks,
GM-Support
Attachments
am44alpha1.png
Screenshot of Adventure Maker v4.4 Alpha1
am44alpha1.png (45.82 KiB) Viewed 11718 times
Last edited by GM-Support on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Candle » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:48 am

Online demo works fine on my Mac with firefox 2.0.0.4
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

cool

Postby Crazygamemaker » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:53 am

SWEET!!!!!!!

ok.I tried it.My project goes to the first frame but then when it's going to the next it says that it could not detect an internet conection.I used Internet Explorer 7.I understand that it is still under development.This is still an awesome feature.

great job!

oh,it even works with the psp browser.
Last edited by Crazygamemaker on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdvenureMaker is so easy even a caveman can use it!
Crazygamemaker
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:08 am

Wow, great :D
I'm very happy that making online games with AM is on its best way!
The demo game works fine for me with IE7, and I'll try it out also very soon :)
I'm also looking forward to additional features in the future :)
Mystery

Postby Qtip5 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:39 am

thank you so much
I have been waiting so long for this feature
=]
it works very well
Jake is Back!
Qtip5

Nice

Postby Harvester » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:04 pm

Nice feature, I think it will be the one making AM a potential game maker software on the area of online game-making too. I hope the use of panoramic plugin will be definitely implemented in it :?
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby cpkspikyhair » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:21 pm

if you have a project folder you want to keep, do you take it out before you install the new version?
PSPPC GameMaker!! Where you can find PSP and PC games up for download!
cpkspikyhair
Games Page Administrator

Postby Mystery » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Your previous version of AM won't be overwritten, this version will be installed in a separate folder as separate software :)
Mystery

Postby Gumbro » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:20 pm

Tested. Works fine with Firefox 2.0.0.7, does not work with PSP browser (black screen upon clicking a hotspot).

G
Gumbro

Postby ShadowHunter » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi GM,

A feature many people wil love :D

Great job GM...

With best regards,

ShAdOwHuNtER
ShadowHunter

how

Postby Crazygamemaker » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:50 pm

How do you put them in your website?
Crazygamemaker
VIP

Re: how

Postby Candle » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:54 pm

Crazygamemaker wrote:How do you put them in your website?

You would upload the html to your server.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

oh

Postby Crazygamemaker » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:16 pm

Oh,ok.Thanks Candle.
Crazygamemaker
VIP

Postby cpkspikyhair » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:17 pm

Couple ?'s:

1. When you upload the index HTML file to your server, will you need to upload the rest of the folder and change the links to the folder files?

2. How can you open a project from AdventureMaker v4.3.0? When I try, the frames are all gone. A message pops up that says v4.3.0 is a newer version of AM!
PSPPC GameMaker!! Where you can find PSP and PC games up for download!
cpkspikyhair
Games Page Administrator

hi

Postby Crazygamemaker » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:20 pm

go to my computer.then go to program files.Open AM 4.3.Click on Projects.Copy your project ,then paste them under projects in 4.4 alpha.
Crazygamemaker
VIP

Postby Shafayat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:00 pm

Works with Opera latest too :) Great!
Shafayat

Postby GM-Support » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:42 am

Thanks a lot for your feedback !!! It was very much appreciated !

Cpkspikyhair, about your first question: yes, when you upload the index HTML file to your server, you also need to upload the rest of the folder. However, you don't need to change the links that are inside the files, because they are relative links, not absolute links.

GM-Support
GM-Support

OK

Postby tribalxdude » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:22 pm

My tone is a little better now and I was very frustrated that day I blew up and I had my reasons because it?s a lot of money to spend for the professional version and then I need some else?s plug ins to do the job AM should be doing in the first place.

Anyway with that out of the way

I understand that this HTML thing is an alpha and that online games would be fun but all the sudden I see adventure maker moving in another direction without addressing some of the previous issues. First, it was PSP games, and then it was the panorama, Now HTML games.

I hope I am not too far out of line this time when I say (Last time I got banned). Wouldn?t it be cool if some of the minor frustrations that I seem not to be suffering alone where addressed before adding new features?

I put my project on hold after discovering a buggy panoramic plugin and decided to wait for this update. Then a few weeks, when I figure I am not banned anymore I read my post and discover a link to this page.

Hoping to see a brand new ?WORKING? panoramic plug-in , news of its direction, or news about the bug in the old one with all the anticipation in the world I find news of a new HTML feature and nothing about the panoramic plug-in that is advertised to work.

I don?t know about you but when I buy a product that says it will do something I expect it to do it. I think everyone does. I think that when there is a problem the manufacture of that product should address that issue before creating a new product or adding features to that product especially, when that product is for sale.

So, Now I?ll have a broken panoramic control, the ability to make HTML games with no inventory, No VB Script, and no sound. Great?

Forums are wonderful places where criticism like the truth gets blocked as I am sure this post won?t make it much further past the time I post it when the GM guards get to it. But at least they will have read it.
stuffs getting better, stuffs getting better everyday.
tribalxdude

Postby Mystery » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi tribalxdude,

Lol, you must have a picture of admins and mods on this forum :wink:

To make it clear, this forum (and its staff members) is not blocking criticism, requests and suggestions, if they are expressed in an appropriate way. However bad language and offensive behavior are not tolerated.

I think that the HTML export is a good thing, and it's only at the very beginning, as GM said it doesn't even have a beta status right now. It's in a very early development stage, and new features will be added in future.

What is planned about the panoramic plugin or what is currently done about it, escapes my knowledge. Maybe GM can inform about this point.
Mystery

Listen

Postby tribalxdude » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:17 pm

I paid $130 for software that is supposed to make panoramic games. The panoramic plugin works most of the time but when it does not work it really does not work. The camera does what it wants too.
I did not pay for a beta, I did not pay for a work in progress.
What I paid for was an IDE that is supposed to make professional games. The panoramic bug has stopped the production of my game.
I have been able to reproduce this error on many occasions just by using the plug-in without any scripting or anything else. I am using WinXp professional so it?s not a vista thing
What should be done before making HTML editions is to fix the problem with the panoramic plugin so that it can do what it claims to be able to do. That?s what sold the product to me in the first place and it does not work correctly.

If I had paid for a beta, or a work in progress then that would be understandable but I paid for a professional product that if something does not work that should be top priority.
tribalxdude

Postby Mystery » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:34 pm

I've understood that.
But as I said I cannot give information about the panoramic plugin. I hope that GM will give us an update on that point soon :)
Mystery

Not that bad

Postby tribalxdude » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:47 pm

I am really not that big of a jerk. Don?t you think that I would rather be programming my game than posting these crummy posts? I hate being the dude that complains but I don?t really have a choice here.

If the plug-in does not work for me then it will not work for people who play the game.

I think the online HTML thing is great, but after the problems are fixed with the panoramic control. That way people can continue making their games and wait for the other stuff to come.

I just want what I paid for, That?s it.

Stuffs kind of going downhill right now but I know it will get better, always does.

But it seems the GM has a habit of making something and moving on to something else and when the old thing has problems it gets pushed to the side. We?ll that would be fine if the product was free.

Ok, So now it GM?s move. I will wait to see what happens next and I won?t complain anymore for now.
tribalxdude

Postby GM-Support » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:47 am

Dear tribalxdude,

Thank you for posting your message. I am particularly thankful because I am sure that your message corresponds to the thoughts of many other forum members (though the Export to HTML is also a much wanted feature).

Actually it also corresponds to my thoughts, as I totally agree with you concerning the too many limitations of the 360-degree panoramic feature of Adventure Maker.

I hope that we can work together to greatly improve it.

For this purpose, I have started a "sticky" topic to discuss on the subject. The topic is at the following URL:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=3227

You mentioned the presence of some critical bugs, so I am particularly interested in having more details about them, among with the other aspects (please reply on the new topic instead of this one, so that we can keep the topics organized).

It is useful that we discuss critically and constructively like you started doing, because this is the best way to ensure that the future revisions of Adventure Maker correspond as much as possible to the needs of its users.

Thanks again,

GM-Support
GM-Support

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion