about inventory (and other tips)

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

about inventory (and other tips)

Postby kei28 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi,

hope this topic hasn't been posted already. I'm French and using the AM since few days; the online help document is clear, so I'm pretty sure my question doesn't appear in it.
I would like to know if it's possible to start the game with an item already appearing in the inventory, without picking it up somewhere?

Secondly, is it possible, like in lot of point-and-click games, to make a commentary appear when cliking on an object, which can give some clues to the player.
For example, my character, at the beginning of the game, has to climb a tree in order to introduce himself in a house. He can't climb the wall next to it cause doesn't have a rope. I want a commentary to appear when clicking on the wall.

Thanks in advance. :)
kei28

Postby Mystery » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi kei28,

Welcome to the forums.

Do you use a free or a full version of Adventure Maker?
The full version allowes you to use VBScript with which your questions can be solved easily:

1) If you would like to add an item to the player's inventory, you can use in the frame properties this script:
Code: Select all
Action.AddItem "ITEM_NAME"

But of course you need to create this item first clicking on "manage your inventory items" in the Frame Editor Area. Add there its name and its picture.

2) If you would like to display a message if the player clicks a hotspot, you need to go to the hotspot properties, go to the "Advanced tab", and add there:

Code: Select all
Action.Message "You need a rope first."

This can also be solved with the free version: Go to the Hotspot properties, go to the "Action tab" and check "Display a text message". Add your comment in the text field.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby kei28 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:45 am

Thanks,

I'm using the Free version. I'm going to try the message box in the Action Tab.

kei
kei28

AddItem

Postby Roland1958 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:40 pm

Thx Mystery,

I had the same problem than Kei28.
I look in faq and read what they say about AddItem... For me "Item Name" mean the name of the icon. I was surprise than the command didn't works... Now I understand "Item Name" means the name in Manage Inventory items. And I had needed it to create my item there before use the command "AddItem".
For other users don't you think it coud be a good idea to precise that?

Roland
Roland1958

Postby Candle » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:54 pm

Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Re: AddItem

Postby GM-Support » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:06 pm

Roland1958 wrote:For other users don't you think it coud be a good idea to precise that

Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

I hope I can improve the help document soon.

GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion