Object Menu (like Phantasmagoria)/ Interactive Internet

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Object Menu (like Phantasmagoria)/ Interactive Internet

Postby Dalton » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi everybody. Now i?m having some new questions.

The first is: how can i make an object menu (like Phantasmagoria). There?s a picture of what i?m trying to do attached in this post. I wanna put this picture as a bachgroung and in the middle (the white box), is gonna be the real game. And below (on the greenleafs) i wanna put the objects.

The second question is: How can i make an interactive internet on the game (like Gabriel Knight 3, when the gamer uses the real keyboard, the word typed appears on the Gracie?s laptop).
Attachments
FundoTela.jpg
FundoTela.jpg (50.18 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby GM-Support » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Hi Dalton,

As for your first question:

You can do that very easily and without scripting.

You should create a frame called for example "ObjectMenuFrame". On that frame, add the graphics that you want to appear on every frame. Important: you should put graphics into hotspots, NOT as the frame background (it is recommended that you use a solid color background).

For example, if you want to achieve the same result as in the screenshot that you have posted, you should split your picture into 4 parts (using an image editor): the top, the bottom, the left, and the right parts. Then, edit the "ObjectMenuFrame", and create 4 graphical hotspots that will contain the 4 parts of the picture. Leave the area in the middle blank.

Then, after you have finished preparing the "ObjectMenuFrame", click "Runtime Frames Merging" from the Adventure Maker Project Menu. Select the frames that you want to appear inside the middle, and assign to them the frame "ObjectMenuFrame". This will result in the hotspots of "ObjectMenuFrame" appearing in all the frames that you have selected.

Note: this can be done only when creating software for Windows (not PSP or iPhone/iPod touch).

That's all. Now start your game and you will see it running in the middle (not scaled though), surrounded by the graphics.

The second question is more complicated and requires scripting. You have several methods: you can use the "InputBox" function to ask for some text, or you can dynamically create a TextBox on the frame background.

For hints about the first method, visit:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/vbsc ... niques.htm
(read "How to password-protect a part of the game?" for example)

For hints about the second method, visit:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/vbscript_objects.htm
(read the example to create a new CheckBox - it's the same as for the TextBox).

Let us know if something is not very clear.

Best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Dalton » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:27 am

Thanks GM. I?m gonna try. :D
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Dalton » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:52 pm

Hey GM, i have an idea: a video teaching about my second question. I think many people will love to use this kind of idea (a interactive internet, or something like that) :D . What can you say? :lol:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby GM-Support » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:18 am

That's a really good idea!

I will keep it in mind for when I have time.

Thanks!
GM-Support
GM-Support

Postby Dalton » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Maybe someone knows how to make this. A tutorial in the youtube homepage would be nice. :wink:
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:48 am

Yes, that would be great if somebody could do such a video tutorial :)

In the meantime, if you need help to create a textbox, you may post your question here, and we can help you with text/code tutorials :)
Mystery

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion