Two smallish questions... hiding the cursor and passwords.

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Two smallish questions... hiding the cursor and passwords.

Postby Haze » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:42 pm

Sorry, all I seem to do is ask questions. It's the noob way...

1. Is there a way to hide the cursor on some screens? For example, during a cutscene.

2. Is it possible to have a small hotspot that asks for a password once clicked, and if given the correct password will just change the value of a variable?
Kiss the witches.
Haze

Postby Mystery » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:56 pm

Do these topics help?

Hide mouse cursor/pointer:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/vbsc ... de_pointer

Add an input box with password:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=1254

Create a textbox with password:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=3365

Create a texbox that display "****" when you type in password:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=3469

If you need further help, please post your question :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Haze » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:20 pm

The cursor one helps, thank you!

I can't find anything that applies too well in the other topics though.

I'll try to explain what I'm trying to achieve to see if that makes it any clearer - in my project, there are 'secrets' that allow the player to unlock hidden things. One I thought might be fun was something to change the way some of the characters in the game will look, swapping their clothes around and stuff. I thought a good way to achieve this would be to have a variable that can be changed at the beginning of the game with a password, then all the hotspots of the 'alternate' characters would be in the same place as the regular ones, just set to 'only viewable if the following variable is set to 1' or something. All of the password topics seem to relate to a password that sends the player straight to another room, I think it might just be a case of changing the script on them slightly but I'm a bit clueless about that side of things so I'm not sure.

I guess it's not too much of a problem if it's not possible, I just thought it might be fun. :)
Kiss the witches.
Haze

Postby Mystery » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:36 pm

Yes, indeed you can adapt the scripts from the examples given in those threads according your own needs.

Instead of using
Code: Select all
Action.GoToFrame "FrameName"
(that will send the player to another screen)

you can for example use
MyVariable = 1
(whereas you can use a custom name of your variable)
Mystery

Postby Haze » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks Mystery! I'll try it out a bit later and see how I get on. :)
Kiss the witches.
Haze

Postby Mystery » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:10 pm

Good, post if anything doesn't work, or if you have questions about it :)
Mystery

Re: Two smallish questions... hiding the cursor and password

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Haze wrote:Sorry, all I seem to do is ask questions. It's the noob way...

1. Is there a way to hide the cursor on some screens? For example, during a cutscene.

2. Is it possible to have a small hotspot that asks for a password once clicked, and if given the correct password will just change the value of a variable?

I 'm here too... And don't be sorry! It's our pleasure to help :P
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Haze » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:29 am

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

I've managed to hide the cursor but when it comes back on the next screen it remains at the 'default' (currently one of the crosses, but I'm hoping to make my own eventually). This is a bit of a problem because it needs to change into a magnifying glass or an arrow when it goes over some of the hotspots on the next screen. Is there a way to put the cursor back to the project's 'default settings' when it comes to the screen?

Also, two more things...

Is is possible to bring up a line of text when a screen appears as though the player has examined something? For example when entering a dark room and the player needs to search for a light, it'd seem better to have the character say "I need to find a light!" rather than just suddenly confront them with a pitch black screen.

The only other thing I've noticed when testing my game is that sound effects seem to lag the flow quite badly. Putting a door opening/shutting sound to play when a door is clicked on causes an obvious pause and lags or skips the transition effect too. Is that something that will remain in the full game, or is it more likely to be something to do with my laptop/Vista/using version 3 of AM?
Kiss the witches.
Haze

Postby Candle » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:23 am

haze have a look here and you will find most of your problems filled.

http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/contents.htm

Dynamically changes the default cursor (the one that you can also change from the "Options" tab of the "Project Properties" window). The syntax is:

Action.ChangeDefaultCursor "FILENAME"

where FILENAME is the name of an icon or a cursor (without the path) that is located inside the "icons" sub-folder of the "Project Resources", which corresponds to the directory "c:\...\PROJECTNAME\icons". The supported file types are ICO and CUR.

To restore the default cursor, replace FILENAME with an empty string, as shown below:
     Action.ChangeDefaultCursor ""
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Enter password.

Postby mercedes » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:47 am

This is just a question for later in my project..but im approching it fast..lol....ive looked among the posts here and couldnt find quiet what i was looking for...not sure if this is possible..

Ive made a text box..in "paint"..its basically just the alphabet..and some numbers..i want to make it so they have to hit the right letters to spell a certain word..Basicaly hitting the wrong ones..will do nothing.but hitting the right ones..they light up..ive made this because ..I don't think i can use animations in Free AM right?

The letters are around the house..simple enough to find as well..made sure they were near hotspots..so when they grab an item..they see numbers and or letters...ill ask about the numbers later..lol..one thing at a time for me..:D

Can i do this without scripting..I"m only using the Free AM.version..if it requires variables..which im sure it will..keep in mind I just learned them today...

the word is 7 letters long

If explaining to me..could u explain in full detail...i don't know the difference between variants and variables..and all that..but if i can read what to do step by step..ill understand it better..ill have no choice..lol..this letters are there To-Stay..Am doesn't save frames..when u alter them..u have to remove and then rename..

Ok well i look forward to any reply..:D and of course T.I.A.
mercedes
VIP

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion