HELP..need hotspot ..frame help

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

HELP..need hotspot ..frame help

Postby mercedes » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:37 am

Not sure where to post this..but this is my problem..

I've created..drawn a frame with the "wall" there...ive made it so you have to drag the axe on it..then it goes to another frame..of wall "gone"..chopped up like..

So make hotspot.."chose no options"..then manage "inventory items"..drag my axe on it..THen in the manage inventoory items..i chose go to another frame..

but i want to make it so..when they go back to that room..they g et the chopped wall frame..not have to drag axe on it all the time....like im not sure what it is im asking for..i think is to make the frame with broken wall be the one they visit..instead of inital frame with wall "there"..leaving only the broken wall one they see when they go back to it..during game play..

Not sure if im making my self clear..:(

I"m using Windows..
AM Free version

Keep in mind I"ve never worked with variables yet I would need a detailed description of how to do this if this is a variable thing....ive been avoiding..lol..instead im drawing different frames constantly..:D

I'm doin all of this in paint..not sure if that makes a difference..but i dont mind having to draw whatever again.

T.I.A. to anyone who answers...!!
mercedes
VIP

Postby Candle » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:51 am

Have it show the broken wall and then they click on the opening and it takes them to the next frame.
so if they go back to last frame it is to the broken wall.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:29 am

I'm not sure i understand you..perhaps i didn't make myself clear..:)..this is what im doing..

There is a frame..that has an invisible door in it.....i made a hotspot on the wall that when the properties box opened up i hit no options..other than hand..
Then i opened up Manage inventories..and dragged axe to it..and in there i chose go to another frame..."the broken wall"..There are several rooms {frames} in t his house and one before it as well

..I'm not sure how to make it so..when they go to the frame with broken wall and into another room..when they come back out of it..that its the frame with broken wall ..that might be easy enough to do..cause they can just visit last frame...but the frame BEFORE it...how do i make it so when they come out of that frame..that its now broken wall STILL there..and not original wall..cause in the hotspot in the room before it ..it is set to go to FRAME WITH wall...I want the wall to appear there until they break it with axe...and then remain there once broken..so they are free to roam around and go into the room i made after broken wall.

thanks..and if someone answers this could u make it more clean on what to do...this is my very fist time using this software and am not too familiar with it...many thanks:D

One more thing..how can i arrange my pictures in the frame management properties ..like right now theyre kind of all over the place..i change my mine often and would like to drag pictures towhere i want them..in order that they go..but it w ont let me ..only lets me view them in list or thumnail..i want to be able to arrange them...thanks..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:37 am

Once again, you need to work with a variable. Unfortunately you can't set a variable to 1 when you drag an item onto a hotspot without scripting. But this is what you can do:

Drag the axe onto the hotspot and let the player go to the frame with the broken wall (you have already done that).
Then set all the arrows that the player might click on the broken wall frame to set the broken_wall variable = 1 in the hotspot properties.

On the screens that are connected with the wall frame, you need to create 2 hotspots with the arrows on top of each other. The hotspot on the top should be only visible if broken_wall = 0, and be connected with the not broken wall frame.
The hotspot underneath it (that looks exactly the same), should be connected to the frame with the broken wall.

For the arrangement of the frames: Currently it's not possible to rearrange them. For a better overview, you should think about a good naming of those screens. For example use:
kitchen_frame01
kitchen_frame02
etc.
bedroom_frame01
bedroom_frame02

This way, the frames will be better arranged. This is what you can do at the moment :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:02 am

"Then set all the arrows that the player might click on the broken wall frame to set the broken_wall variable = 1 in the hotspot properties."
Im not sure what u mean by that..cause once they break the wall..its ok to go into next room...like at that point they can hit any arrows..in this frame..are u saying to do this..so that the hotspot itself is being hidden..like the frame..i dont understand..its asimple as that.. Like which box do i put that in the the variables tab..? and why? i need an explaination for me to be able to understand.. it..its easy enough for someone to tell me what to do..i need toknow why..im doing it..what am i doing for..and especially how.

On the screens that are connected with the wall frame, you need to create 2 hotspots with the arrows on top of each other. The hotspot on the top should be only visible if broken_wall = 0, and be connected with the not broken wall frame.
The hotspot underneath it (that looks exactly the same), should be connected to the frame with the broken wall.

This part i understand a little bit..meaning the "arrow" thats in the first frame or any other frame...that is connected to this frame..i need to create 2 hot spots with arrows...on each frame..but what do u mean on top of each other...like one box bigger than the other..one inside of the other like in the video..u have....and do i type that in just like that..what u say..or I put the name of the frame..of which i named it...and which option in the variable box..the top one or the first one..what do i type in this BOX...Keep in mind Mystery Ive never worked with this software...do i have to type exaclty..that..i know what u mean...just HOWW.. do I do it..You know what..never mind..this is stupid..It's a hallway..now.

Thanks anyways..I think ppl get so used to doing stuff it becomes second nature to them..there fore explaining..to someone else....anyways whatever..thanks anyways..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:17 am

See, Mercedes. I usually give a general answer at first.
I don't know how much more help someone needs, and if I take a lot of time by creating drawings, making screenshots, or even a demo game - and it turns out, it wouldn't have been necessary, it's just wasted time for me.

Therefore I first give a general reply, and you can still post and ask for more help. If necessary, I'm ready to invest more time in providing more help ;)

I'm going to create some material for you later today, that should help you to understand how and why. :)

Btw, yes, it's similar to my examples from my tutorial that you've mentioned.
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=3400
Mystery

Postby mercedes » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:27 am

Oh thats awesome..!..yes cause that sounds chinese to me..lol..Thank you so much..I just tried to even "look" at the variables tab..and im lost..its been awhile since ive done anything in excel..over 13 years to be exact....i avoided if i could..lol..and i think this is alot like "If" in excel...Ya...I like Word..haha..thank you so much for taking the time..:D thats really nice of you to explain it to me..I look forward to it..:D

Bye for now~~!
mercedes
VIP

Postby mercedes » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:21 pm

I realize that you are making me a tutorial page of some sort but i had this question in addition and while i thought of it...i figured it better write it now..I also wrote it in another reply thinking this might be an easy question to answer..thats hoping there is no variables in volved of course..but if there is..ill await your reply whenver u can give it..:D

I have another question of the same frame..(broken wall frame)..there are other hot spots in the original frame....Basically what i did was copy and paste picture..one with the wall one without the wall..

one is on the couch and another under the chair....as well as the (go back arrow)..these are hotspots that are in the original frame..(wall there) should i set those hotspots again..in the broken wall frame..? would that make it easy ...or do i have to hide those as well...they have nothing to do with getting into this room..the room after broken wall..I think im creating more havic on my brain here...i was assuming they would find these hotspots first..then think of axe..would it be just as easy for me to creat them in that frame also.. i have it set that the spot is disabled ..not the zoom in..but the spot where they find the item..(different frame)

ok well if this is too many questions and too much work..I feel like a pain here and I hate that..bugging ppl..anyhow whenver u can answer this...thanks AGAIN..lol..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:12 pm

For the wall scenario:

You have probably 2 screens that are connected to your wall screen.
On both screens you need to create hotspots on top of each other as explained in the Help Dokuments aswell:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/puzzles.htm

Create an integer variable broken_wall.
Go to the Variables Tab of the Hotspot Properties of your hotspots at top of the others, and choose "The hotspot must be only enabled if..." and choose at "The value of the following variables is 0" broken_wall.
Set these top hotspots to go to the non broken wall screen when the player clicks them.

Thus at the beginning of your game, you will always go to the not broken wall screen.

Set the both hotspots underneath them to go to the screen with the broken wall.
These hotspots will be only visible when the top hotspots disappear (this will happen as soon as broken_wall will become 1).

When you drag the axe onto the hotspot of the wall, you choose the player goes to the broken wall screen.
Now on this screen, you need to set the variable broken_wall to 1.
You can do this by going to the Variables Tab of the Hotspot Properties of both "arrows" (I mean with that the 2 hotspots that take the player to the both other screens). Choose there "Change the value of one or more variables when the user clicks this hotspot". Select in "Variables the value of which must become 1" your broken_wall variable.

Thus as soon as the player leaves the screen, the variable broken_wall will be 1. With this, the top hotspots on the screen before and after your wall screen will disappear because you have set them to be only visible as long as broken_wall = 0.
When the player wants to go back to the wall screen, he will be taken to the broken wall screen, because the top hotspots that were connected to the not broken wall screen, have disappeared.

I hope that you can try out this, and also understand how it works.

As I mentioned, you should have a look at the Help Files chapter "Creating puzzles without scripting", and try to understand how those examples work. The best is if you try to create them yourself, this will help you to better understand it.

Also, in my tutorial that I've mentioned already, there are step-by-step explanations how to do those simple puzzles. In order to be able to create more complex puzzles, it is necessary to understand the simpler ones. :)
Mystery

Postby Candle » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:14 pm

wow nice diagram Mystery.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Lol, thanks Candle - just a quickly drawn diagram :)

I hope it will also become understandable for Mercedes :)
I know that understanding variables is not easy for beginners.
Mystery

wow..

Postby mercedes » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks Mystery..! You- are- the bomb..Thank you for taking the time to do that..:) very nice of you.. and RReally helpful!

You know something I've read an awful lot on this forum and at every juncture where I was stuck..it was one of your posts..that got me through it....so cool..Your cool..lol..

Many thanks once again...I"ve copied and pasted all of your threads in word pad..lol..so i can go to it..when i need it..:D

Again, can't thank you enough..:D
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Thank you Mercedes, I'm happy to know that my posts are helpful to you :)

Maybe you need to take a bit of time to fully understand how variables work, and also to create small demo projects in AM for yourself, but as soon as you have understood them, you will be able to create your own little puzzles. Good luck! :)
Mystery

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion