HELP! frame transitions..

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

HELP! frame transitions..

Postby mercedes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:15 am

Ive been stuck in this spot for two days now..I'm about to scrap this project.. :? ..

I've having problems with screen transitions and hotpot..variable...issue..

Heres what I"m trying to do..I hope someone knows what I'm talking about..:(

I'm trying to use the frame properties transition,,,where u show a frame for a few seconds..then go back to last visited frame..The frame which im showing is a new frame. This is what im doing.

I've combined two items...
then once the user drags this item on to the object
.they are then taken to another frame..and in that frame
.I made it so they see a new frame transition..for 2 seconds. then they are brought back to last visited frame. So This is what iive done..

I combined can opener and cat food. Drag opened can onto a plate..[another frame] comes up..showing food..Then i show that in another part of the house..the frame that had the cat in it..is no longer there.[new frame]

How do i make tht frame stay now....Also because the frame transition is last visited frame..when i go to leave kitchen..it takes me to the frame that u are only to see for 2 seconds...being as that was the last visited frame [kitchen]..

Can the frame transitions be used for what im using it for in this case im showing the user what effect that had draging item to this spot..I'm not sure what other reason that thats there for..but it works perfectly for that ..Only now..I'm not sure what to do next to make it stay..where to put variable..I would like to keep this part of it in it..but not sure if i can..If im not making it clear..ive tried posting this three different ways....ive deleted the other posts..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Von Knudenberg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi mercedes,

Maybe you should duplicate that frame (which should stay after that 2 seconds). So you should have two exact same frames (or with any differences there should be) and that duplicated one being the frame which now stays as normal. Just remove that "Enable Timer" which I think you are using. And don't use "Last visited frame". Instead choose "Go to another frame" and choose this new, duplicated frame.

You should make two hotspots for kitchen. First the one which takes you there before those "effects", second one which takes you to duplicated frame after those "effects".

The hotspot, which takes you to the kitchen after those "effects" you mentioned, should have variable "The hotspot (or picture) must be enabled..." - "...the value of the following variable is 1"

Now you should also add variable to hotspot where you drag that "opened can". Use "Variables the value of which must become 1" and use that same integer variable which you use in "Hotspot enabler section".

Now you should have enabled that hotspot, which takes you to the kitchen frame which is without timed transition.

Also that first hotspot should be disabled, so you need to add variable which will change it's value to 1. Make new integer variable and use "Variables the value of which must become 1". And for that first kitchen hotspot choose: "The hotspot (or picture) must be enabled..." - "...the value of the following variable is 0".

Now, if I thought this right, when you use that can on plate, it should disable the first hotspot and enable the hotspot which takes you to duplicated kitchen frame without timed transition.

I hope I understood your needs right and this isn't too hard to follow. And I sure do hope that I didn't explain this horrible wrong. It is quite easy to make, but when I try to explain it, my simplistic brains starts to riot...

Best regards,
Pete
Von Knudenberg

Postby mercedes » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Actually no its not you that explained it wrong..i shouldve mentioned that although i want this frame to stay..i dont want the player to go to it "right then to stay" because this newframe is in another part of the house...its 4 frames away...

Where I am is in the kitchen..i feed the cat..i enabled the timer to off in this frame [kitchen] as soon as i drag and drop food onto plate...the user sees the living room for 3 seconds, and then i set the living room frameproperties to come back to the kitchen after 3 seconds...

I'm only wanting to show the player what effect feeding the cat had...kinda like a little vision...then theyre back in the kitchen...i want them to be able to go now if they choose which im assuming they will...go back down to the living room...which is 4 frames away..and have this new frame there now..[cat is gone]I just don't know how to do that lol..where this newframe will be visible only if they feed the cat..I'm not sure where to put variables..where to start them exactly and how to fit the new frame in..its only seen for 3 seconds..can i use this same frame? how do i fit it in there.

Also, this same frame , the one i used timer on..in the frame properties..when i come back to the kitchen..i set that to go back to the kitchen..which is what i wanted it to do..but now when i hit the "back arrow." to leave kitchen frame...it gives me this newframe..i can't get out of kitchen now..lol..

This doesnt seem like a diffucult task..but I've been stuck on this for 3 days now..

Thank you so much for your help and reply...:)

:?
mercedes
VIP

Postby Von Knudenberg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:09 am

I think you could use that same method with your living room:

Two hotspots (which both takes you to the living room, first one with cat and second without it). And use those variables so that the first one is disabled when you drop food, because there is no need for the frame with cat anymore, if I thought this right. And make this food dropping to enable the hotspot which takes you to the frame without cat. So there should be two different frames: One with cat and one without cat. First one is enabled as default value and it is disabled via food dragging hotspot where you use variable to disable it. At sametime you enable the second hotspot.

So, use variables in hotspot where you drag that food (on plate), and in two hotspots which takes you to the living room.

This way you can use two (or as many as you need) exact same sized and placed hotpots to take player to different frames depending if they have done needed action.

Needed Action Done = First Hotspot Disabled/Second Hotspot Enabled.

No Needed Action Done Yet = First Hotspot Stays Enabled/Second One Wait And Hide Till Player Have Done Needed Action

Maybe you could try this although I may just repeat same thing again and again. So, sorry if this is obvious to you. Variables are basically very easy to use, but somewhat hard to explain clearly enough (at least for me they are). I have fought with very easy solutions too (and too many times).

Best regards,
Pete
Von Knudenberg

Postby mercedes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:29 am

Ok so what you are saying is that..in the kitchen where i drag the food..make a variable there called 1..

and in the frame leading to living room make 2 hotspots there...one going to original frame...the other only be visible if variable i made in kitchen becomes 1..

Also, after dragging food, disable that hotspot?

so will that fix the arrow going back ..so it doesnt take me to last visited frame being that one..transition one?

I'm trying to put into my own words to better understand what you are saying..

am i still duplicating the frame though ?

sorry im realllllly new at this..so it helps me if i repeat what your saying to understand it.:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby Von Knudenberg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:29 am

Yeah, I have to repeat myself too, to understand what I'm trying to say. And still I can't fully understand myself :)

On that kitchen (plate) hotspot:

When you drag your item in construction phase and "Hotspot Properties" pops up. choose "Variables" and "Change the value of one or more..." and add new integer variable named "NoCat" to "Variables the value of which must become 1".

Then: Go to hotspot which should take player to frame without cat ("Hotspot Properties" - "General" - "Go to another frame" - "FrameWithoutCat") and in hotspot properties choose "Variables" and "The hotspot (or picture) must be enabled..." and add that same "NoCat" integer variable to "...the value of the following variables is 1".

Now you have enabled the hotspot which takes you to the frame without cat. I think you need to do this frame (not by duplicating), because you don't have that cat there.

Then: Go to hotspot which should take player to frame with cat (if you ment that player is allowed to go there at all before feeding the cat) and in hotspot properties choose "Variables" and "The hotspot (or picture) must be enabled..." and add "NoCat" integer variable to "...the value of the following variables is 0".

This way this hotspot is disabled when you drag food and "NoCat" variable becomes 1, because default value is 0. But stays 0/enabled until you drag that food on hotspot and and makes it possible to go between these frames with that cat in living room.

Those actions above should give you right solution to go to right frames before and after feeding the cat. But for that another problem... Where should you go via that arrow? And is this problem after you have dragged that food and enabled the frame without the cat? Is there right frame chosen in "Hotspot Properties" and "Go to another frame"?

If there should not be any timed frames etc anymore, make sure you use different destination frame (duplicated, or another frame with almost same content/revised frame) with right hotspots to take player where they should be taken.

Now I should stop writing, firstly because I don't understand myself anymore. With these variables I feel myself trying to be L. Wittgenstein without abilities to be like L. Wittgenstein :) And secondly, so you could try to figure out this from my lousy explanation. Maybe Mystery pops out and draws few quick lines and voil?! But until that time, you just have to stick with this :) And thirdly, because even this short explanation could consist too many errors, which I just can't see at this time...

-Pete
Von Knudenberg

Postby mercedes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:56 am

Hi there, thanks for replying..

No i think i may have it now..ill try what you said and see if i can't figure out what to do with "go back to previous frame" in the kichen..cause its set to go back to the last visited frame..and that would be the one in transition....and i dont want that...

I ve tried to just set it to go back to the frame before it...the other option..but then that frame takes me back to kitchen cause its set to go back to previous frame...

quiet the mess...lol...

But thanks for all of your help so far...I appreciated it,
at least now i know where to start...:) Which says alot cause i've been stuck on it for 3 days..Until I get the knack of these, which im starting to get...

As for Mystery, adding to this...I had gotten her to explain the last puzzle to me..:oops:
I know once i grasp it ...it'll be there forever...but there are not many ppl on this forum...which leaves asking for help very limited..without buggin the one person all the time...kinda sucky..:(
makes you feel like a pest.
I've only worked with them once..so I need practice..but I can't just go around making variables everywhere for practice..lol..So far I've got 30 frames invested in this project and have had to work with variables once.This is my second time..

I know this though..I'll figure this out and when i do..I'll write a kick a** post that will explain them for the last time..:D..:haha: Putting variables into laymen terms...

Again thank you for all of your help, :) I really appreciated it..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Von Knudenberg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:23 pm

I described this with more details in message, but I'll just add few notes here...

If you don't want to use frame transitions anymore, you just have to make two frames (or duplicate, if they can be/should be exact same as graphically) and use other one where you don't have those transitions or timed movement via different frames, like in this matter.

And make two similiar hotspots to take player to those frames, when only needed one is enabled and other comes enabled when something has happened and player should arrive to same frame, but this time without timed movements etc...

Maybe this could be done in other way, by scripting as example, but this is the way I have walked.

And don't even think about yourself as "a pest". These forums, I think, are ment to solve difficulties and to learn to use Adventure Maker. Maybe I am the pest, because I'm not able to explain this so clearly as someone certainly would be. (Boring story follows -->) Few years ago at close assault training ground (where we had different kinds of targets, red and green balloons etc) I was responsible instructor and in preface I stated that "unwanted" and "needless" questions should be avoided, because of lack of time and strict training. Well, one brave one walked down the marked path and when those balloons and targets popped out, this brave one started to fire like grazy, eliminating all balloons and targets (when only 20% of them were stated as "hostile"). After feedback conversation this soldier stated that he wasn't sure which ones were "friendly" and which ones "foe" targets and to avoid unnecessary questions, soldier decided to eliminate all of them for safety's sake...

-Pete
Von Knudenberg

Postby mercedes » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:15 am

I'm frustrated as ~~didn't mean to swear~~ with this "last visited frame" scenerio..i tried to set the arrow to go back to the "actual frame name"...

wich is the "same one"..hallway..But then im resetting all of them...Up until i reach one with variable...that one i have 2 hotspots one is set to go to cat there..this one is set to go back to last visited..with cat there..
only now it takes me back to the bedroom..instead of last visited..cat there.I'll try and set it to go to name frame..of cat there..but ill be resetting all of my frames this way..I"m not sure if this is what im supposed to do or if im making more work for myself..ugh..
and one is set to go to cat gone...this is where the variables are..

I'm so confuses..no doubt you will be after this..

Also, I want frame transitions..i like that idea..ive made avariable that as soon as they drop food onto dish...they can go to new frame with cat gone.

So now just this ...

I hope u understand..:(

*EDIT*

I guess i can't use frame transitions..it just doesnt work for this..im trashing it..I thought id try something different..but not working so f*ck it. This is going on for 5 days now..so im done with it..

thanks for all of your help though..:D I truly appreciate it..at least you answered..which is all you can ask for ..

Manythanks..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby Von Knudenberg » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:58 am

Mercedes,

You CAN use those transitions, just like you wanted. The problem isn't there as I see this. So don't give up just yet. But I think I'm not able to describe this precisely without repeating myself too much. So I started to make short scene to imitate your scene with information you have provided so far. Few frames, cat, cat food and those "transitions". It takes few moments, but should be ready tomorrow. So you can check if it is what you want to do and see how those variables and hotspots are used.

-Pete
Von Knudenberg

Postby mercedes » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks Von..i already set the variables..i know how to use them now..pretty sure i have it..im gonna try it with a 4 numbered box next..:) I may run that by you to make sure..

I'm going to repeat what i did just to be sure you understand what it was I was trying to do..

I drag catfood to spot....as soon as i did that...
i set in the properties for a full transition...
3seconds timer..
go to the new frame with [cat gone]..showing player what effect this had..

Then with the frame with cat gone...i set in the "frame properties"
set it timer 3 seconds..
go back to kitchen after 3 secs.

I set a variable in the hotspot properties of the cat food..made it 1

then i went to frames that were connected with [cat there] to become [cat gone] made hotspots underneath them and set them to become 1 once the cat food was dragged...

That worked fine..

My problem where it happened is i have an additional hotspot in the kichen to go "to back to previous frame"..(arrow) the [hallway frame]
but it won't instead it goes back to the one i put in transition..timered one..being as that was the last visited..[catgone]

I tried to set it to go back to the actual frame..[hallway] as opposed to last visited....but then i was resetting all frames before it to go back to "actual frames"
till i got to the one i made a variable on....
So thats where i problem is messed up...
i can't set that frame to go to original...[cat there]
i have to set it to go back to last visited..
because there's a variable on it...if i set it to go to the actual frame thats before it...[cat there]it wipes out my variable..because at that point the spot has become 1..It should be [cat gone] and If i set it to to go [cat gone]..well that won't work either...whats the point of having a variable.

Do you understand what i mean..? :cry: :shock: :?

I just took the transtion out..but if you think you have a solution to this...great! I'll look at it..:D

talk to you soon..
mercedes
VIP

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion