Convert Cylindrical pics to Cubic pics

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Convert Cylindrical pics to Cubic pics

Postby Dalton » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:27 am

Is there a way to do this? Maybe a program or something :?:
Dalton
Expert Member

Correct me

Postby Harvester » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Correct me if I'm not right (I haven't looked deeply into the topic yet) but I guess there is no such program. Just guessing from looking at a cylindrical picture. I guess at some places the cubic one would be blurred or points would be missing. But just a guess...
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:39 pm

You are right Harvester. I would suggest re-rendering as a cube...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:49 am

The cinema 4d doesn?t have support for cubic photos, only for cylindrical...
So, it?s gonna be cylindrical. Thanks everybody. :D

Lyberodoggy wrote:You are right Harvester. I would suggest re-rendering as a cube...
Dalton
Expert Member

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:11 am

You could render each picture of the cube by yourself Dalton... You need to render 6 images with a view area of 90 degrees.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Imari » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:16 pm

This program claims to do that - http://www.clickheredesign.com.au/cubicconverter/
Imari
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:42 pm

Yes, I've seen that software, too.
But as Harvester said, there is no easy way to convert cylindrical images to cubic ones
Converting cylindrical images or movies to cubic format will of course leave black gaps at the tops and bottoms of the panorama (quote from the software site)

I think that editing those images after the conversion would take much more time than leaving them as cylindrical, or to re-render them to cubic ones...

It would just be really a pity if your images lost of their quality due to a conversion, Dalton, as they are really phantastic :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Imari » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:19 pm

I don't us Cinema 4D, but in Vue d'Esprit 6 Infinite I make my cubic panos using a technique that I think should work in almost any program that allows both rendering and animation.

I set up my camera PoV with a 90 degree FoV. Then I set up an animation. For consistency, I always face the camera to the "Front" on keyframe 0. At the 1 second mark, I make keyframe 1, leaving the camera in the "front" position. At the two second mark, I make keyframe 2, and turn the camera "UP". At 3 seconds, I make keyframe 3 and turn the camera to "Down". I continue doing the same for each successive cube side until I reach keyframe 6. Finally, I render out frames 1-6 of the "animation", using a rate of one frame per second and with each frame saved as a PNG image. I save as PNG's because I often do postwork or simple touch-ups on my images after rendering and the PNGs are "lossless".

Finally I post work the images if necessary, then resize and convert to JPGs. To use in AM, just use GM's Cubic Panorama Image Combiner, which comes with the plug-in.

Hope this helps.
Imari
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:58 am

Great Tutorial Dalton, thanks (Maybe we should move this to Post Your Own Tutorials)

I save as PNG's because I often do postwork or simple touch-ups on my images after rendering and the PNGs are "lossless".

Well, PNGs are compressed as well as JPEGs. The only really lossles and uncompressed format is BMP.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Dalton » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks everybody. :D
The Cubic Converter is for Mac OS X, so i can?t test it.
The problem to render each picture again is because i?ve already rendered a lot of pictures in cylindrical (11 locations in Orvalho Negro), and took a lot of time to render (each photo took about 2 or 7 minutes to render in my PC). Maybe if i use the ideia that i had about the background image like Phantasmagoria... but i think i can?t do this, because i?m using the cylindrical pluguin in the AM...
Dalton
Expert Member

2 or 7 minutes

Postby Harvester » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:20 pm

2 to 7 minutes??? If I would have those short rendering times I would be the happiest person on earth (with such quality as your pictures). I think otherwise that your game looks nice even with the cylindrical panoramas, so you don't need to change it, but that's just my opinion.
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Re: 2 or 7 minutes

Postby Dalton » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:22 pm

But the problem is the Orvalho Negro is not in full screen, that?s why the image looks good. I would like to make in full screen.

Harvester wrote:2 to 7 minutes??? If I would have those short rendering times I would be the happiest person on earth (with such quality as your pictures). I think otherwise that your game looks nice even with the cylindrical panoramas, so you don't need to change it, but that's just my opinion.
Dalton
Expert Member

See

Postby Harvester » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Well, I see then. After all, cubic panoramas look really nicer... propably worth a rerender? Depends on what you want to do with the game.
Harvester
Forum Master

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion