Grid for hotspots[ITEMS]

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Grid for hotspots[ITEMS]

Postby mercedes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:20 am

hi there...

I was wanting to make a grid for ITEMS [other inventory]..basically like what u would see in any escape game..grid is on the right or the bottom...User picks up item and it appears in the GRID...

Any ideas?

I have thought of a few ideas with code..but I'm missing something....Would need the item to be there on every frame once the user picks it up..

and I want the user to use it after..from the GRID--This is where i get stuck..

.Also, would I have to draw grid on every frame...seems like alot of work.. :?

.I seen ShadowHunter's hotspot magic..but I believe I am unable to use this..with the newer version..it looks awesome...Not sure if this is what i am after either though..hmm..~:(

Any ideas are appreciated...thanks much~!

I am working on this...could be construed as a different type of intentory~

any input is great..thanks very much
mercedes
VIP

Postby ZeornWarlock » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:48 pm

Is it possible to hide and un-hide hotspots? If so, why don't you give those a try!

Say your hotspot images are already in the inventory grid, but hidden from view and disabled. They stay hidden and disable until the PC finds them. You record this with a variable. So the player can click on the item's "grid box" once he found it and it becomes enabled.

Then when he uses the item, you change the cursor to the items appearance while the player uses it to simulate its use. If the player looses or drops the item, you hide and disable that hotspot.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:39 am

Hi there...thanks for replying..:)

I have tried this..before..the thing where i run into problems..was the merging of frames...I will try this again..see if it works..May have been something wrong with my code..:)

I gave up too quickly perhaps.. :P

I gather you have the full version ..which is cool..Thanks for input!~
mercedes
VIP

Postby ZeornWarlock » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:55 am

Yes, I just purchased the full commercial version. I used to play around with the free edition, but I am just starting to really test things.

By the way, why use the runtimes frame merging when you can simply duplicate the inventory grid on every picture?

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:07 am

Thanks for response..:)

Well at that time i hadn't drawn the grid..--Is this what you mean by duplicating..?..drawing it..?

and I was making it so each item had its spot by identifying the hotspot..and when the person grabbed it..it would appear in that hotspot. to the right..somewhere on the frame..that worked..

But I wanted it to appear on all frames..not just the frame...they picked it up from..--This is where i run into problems with coding..was trying different things..like with score systems, i have seen coding there where u can use I think it was score system....can't remember all of what I tried..but nothing was working..properly..I thought maybe this was the way to go...obviously not .. :?

Also wanted it so when the user had it in inventory..i wanted the user to combine from the inventory there also.. :shock: This has been a challenge..LOL..

I have short term memory loss so sometimes..ill think of it..but if i don't do it right away i forget, and have to try stuff over again...lol..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:26 pm

There was a game... that used kinda custom inventory... a magic skill inventory.

But I can't find the post.
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby ZeornWarlock » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:17 am

mercedes,

did you ever take a look at this...

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... d54354faba

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:28 am

Hi there..:)

I am able to do that..although i find he did it differently than me...but still the same effect with icons..only mine are on the right of page..still transparent..thankfully to a software that I used..

But I am not sure of this "flag" options..Im unsure of what that is..will have to look into it...cause from what he is saying..the second picture comes into effect, it's that one that shows up at the top of page, but I can't see if it appears on all frames...Wondering if that is why he uses flags?..I don't think I have ever heard of "flags" with Am..have you? Or is it refered to something else perhaps. I'll see if I can't find it..

Thanks for responding..:)

Another thing..he's not using a grid.which is cool...it saves on time for drawing a grid on every frame..I use ALOT of frames..in my projects...LOL
Also making the grid look the same on every frame is hard..ugh I use paint..:P
mercedes
VIP

Postby ZeornWarlock » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:03 am

You are using paint? lol Ever thought of using GIMP? It is free. As for the grid, you could use the runtimes frame merging with it. One grid pasted on all your frames.

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:15 am

Are you saying that by using Runtime frames merging..I would only have to make the grid once on one frame...and it would appear the same on all other frames..?..I hadn't realized that it could function like that..

Any ideas on how to do this? I have tried it..so far i have the word INVENTORY to appear on all frames..but not sure how to do GRID..?

I have put the code and variable in the PROJECT PROPERTIES...under the runtimes frame code in hopes that the objects would appear in the same places as i have the hotspots in the blank frame..but idenitfying hotspot (1) is not the way to go..

its like i can't have other hotspots(1)..in the frames..or my items appear in them..

I'll figure it out im sure..ugh..

As for Gimp..i have it..but am gimp challenged..:(..Paint is so much easier..i use another one too..called photoimpressions..for layers and such..Then i paste into paint..You would be amazed of what i have accomplished with MsPaint...LOL..I use Gif images with it..I mess with it though..bit more work involved but I have accomplished it..lol

Thanks for all the time you have devoted to all of my questions..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby ZeornWarlock » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:43 am

Well I try to discover AM's secrets too. ;)

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:56 am

I have figured it out..I have made a custom inventory~!

..Although someone else may have done it differently...Using items on each other...from another place in the frame..I did it this way and it worked..so..lol..

Now i am trying to figure out how to make it so they can examine those items as well...It's not working out so well..:( Always have to test myself.....See what else I can do..with AM.. :twisted:
mercedes
VIP

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports