Technique to Display Detailed Inventory Pics

This forum is meant for people to share their knowledge by writing their own tutorials for Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Technique to Display Detailed Inventory Pics

Postby KirkAHub » Sat May 27, 2006 12:32 am

My game (Sterling's Gift) uses a new (at least new to me - there are some smart folks out there who might already do this) method of displaying inventory items.

I came up with the idea when I was trying to make my game realistic so that when you picked up an item into inventory you could display a picture much better than the ICON pics.

I do not use the "inventory" features at all (I use flags and logic to determine when an inventory item is displayed).

Sterling's Gift uses very little in the way of 3D graphics (only for some special effects), the rest of the game utilizes photographs.

I take a picture with the item of interest on a table. Then I remove the item and take another picture (tripod and manual camera settings to ensure no change in the rest of the pic). Then I take another picture of the item on a black or white poster board and using Photoshop I make the black or white background transparent. Then I crop and save the picture as a GIF with transparancy.

In the game, when you click on the item a flag is set (which allows a new nonfunctional hotspot to be seen at the top of the page (which is the GIF image) - Looks Great :-)

You need more flag logic to make sure that when you return to the spot where you picked up the item it is not there (your second picture is used after you pick up the item). Any then more flags when you use the item by clicking on it. It is more work but in my opinion and for my game it was well worth it.

Attached is a screen shot from within the project that shows the "inventory" items on the top of the frame.

www.sterlingsgift.com
Attachments
SterlingsGift_ScreenShot_WithInventory.jpg
SterlingsGift_ScreenShot_WithInventory.jpg (291.2 KiB) Viewed 11464 times
Kirk
KirkAHub

Postby Candle » Sat May 27, 2006 1:21 am

I like the look of that , nice tip. if you wanted to get fancy you could make a nice inv gui at the top of the screen where they could fit in to. would cut some of the picture area out but would look nice.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:39 am

I don't want to bump this post..and apologize for it, but would really like to know..whether or not..you can use your items..from the inventory you have made there...and how..?

Thanks!~
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:02 am

I've used it this way (although there might be other solutions aswell):

Let's say you got 4 items (hammer, screwdriver, key, stick).
When player clicks on hammer, the variable use_hammer should become 1, and the other variables (use_screwdriver, use_key, use_stick) should be 0.

On the hotspot where you wish to use that item, you could for example use a code like
Code: Select all
If use_hammer = 1 Then
  Action.GoToFrame "Broken_Mirror"
Else
  Message "Nothing happened."
End If

You can additionally use a script for hotspots where the item is not needed, e.g.

Code: Select all
If use_hammer = 1 Then Message "It's not a good idea to destroy the window."

Of course you need to change these scripts according to your own needs.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks for response:)

This sound perfect and is close to what i had done, the only thing is..

First thing):

I am using a custom inventory; and runtimes frame merging.

In the blank frame i created, is my inventory..

I have created 2 variables Key_taken & Key_used--

On the key itself when user picks it up..key_taken becomes 1..Also appears in the inventory I made--

In the inventory, on the blank frame..I created another hotspot on top of key[picture] with variable Key_used must become 1

On the door [hotspot] it is set to be only visible when both variables become=1

This is where I'm at..the user picks up the key...it goes into inventory...Then the user clicks the key..the cursor changes to the key..and user can click the door and it takes them to another frame..Also changed cursor back to hand.

But..I want to disable the hotspot in my inventory...so that the user doesn't click the key again.. and get stuck with key on his cursor..But I want the picture in inventory to stay there..of key..though..but become unusable..

I can't just disable the hotspot..cause if they don't click the door..they can't use key again..know what i mean..

Basically wondering how i can disable the hotspot in my inventory..that i made..but keep picture there--

I'm pretty sure this will do it..

Many thanks, if this can be figured out..~

*EDIT* I may have figured this out...power of posting..LOL...but if you have a better idea..I'll take it..I just made yet a third hotspot..lol..over the key..made it only visible when both variables become=1..its just a picture..

It's a tall order...LOL..
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 am

Are you people all programmers? I bought this software because it said no programming required. I am now finding out that you DO need to know some programming to make certain games or game features.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:56 am

You can create great games without programming, but if you want to do certain puzzles or specific things according to your own ideas, then you need to use VBScript.

No, we are not all programmers. Many of us had no idea about VBScript at the beginning - you can learn some basic codes step by step :)

Check out the Help Files:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/contents.htm
And look out for the chapter "Creating software with VBScript"
It looks more complicated at the beginning than it is ;)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Giuseppe » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:01 pm

mercedes wrote:Thanks for response:)

This sound perfect and is close to what i had done, the only thing is..

First thing):

I am using a custom inventory; and runtimes frame merging.

In the blank frame i created, is my inventory..

I have created 2 variables Key_taken & Key_used--

On the key itself when user picks it up..key_taken becomes 1..Also appears in the inventory I made--

In the inventory, on the blank frame..I created another hotspot on top of key[picture] with variable Key_used must become 1

On the door [hotspot] it is set to be only visible when both variables become=1

This is where I'm at..the user picks up the key...it goes into inventory...Then the user clicks the key..the cursor changes to the key..and user can click the door and it takes them to another frame..Also changed cursor back to hand.

But..I want to disable the hotspot in my inventory...so that the user doesn't click the key again.. and get stuck with key on his cursor..But I want the picture in inventory to stay there..of key..though..but become unusable..

I can't just disable the hotspot..cause if they don't click the door..they can't use key again..know what i mean..

Basically wondering how i can disable the hotspot in my inventory..that i made..but keep picture there--

I'm pretty sure this will do it..

Many thanks, if this can be figured out..~

*EDIT* I may have figured this out...power of posting..LOL...but if you have a better idea..I'll take it..I just made yet a third hotspot..lol..over the key..made it only visible when both variables become=1..its just a picture..

It's a tall order...LOL..

Hi Mercedes
sorry but i I do not understand this inventory metod. Could you create a proget?
Thanks
Giuseppe
Frequent Poster

Postby mercedes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:03 pm

..What is it you are trying to do..?

All i doing;
I wanted to pick up key..and have the picture remain...but not be able to pick up another one..and..have the cursor change--back and forth

I think at that time...i was just trying out the runtimesframesmerging...
mercedes
VIP

Postby Giuseppe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:16 am

OK, I found another technique about personal inventory.
Giuseppe
Frequent Poster

Return to Post Your Own Tutorials