Making a new game........

This forum is meant for sharing talents on common Adventure Maker projects. Feel free to present yourself and talk about your skills. Partnership proposals and job offers are also welcome.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Making a new game........

Postby pennsteve » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:56 pm

When you want to create a new game........say a point and click room escape game........do you sit down and write it out on paper?

I usually just think it up as I go, but I figure it might be easier if I sit down and write it out on paper first and get all of the pictures and stuff that I will need.

I am going to take some pictures this weekend to use in a room escape type game.

How do YOU come up with games? :)
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:32 am

Actually i think it up as I go as well...but something usually inspires me..Like a picture or a puzzle..This game I'm making now..I was inspired by a bunch of road signs and danger signs....:lol:..
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:56 am

In many cases I'm listening to some free instrumental music that I could use in a game, and then I see images in my head - these images lead to a story. Or I walk in the Nature, and the same happens :lol:
So in moments when I'm relaxed, inspiration comes.

I'm usually writing down at least the puzzles, so that I know where the player can pick up an item, where to use it, what the player has to solve before he can do something specific etc.
For bigger games, I draw some sort of maps, and write down important things on them, so that I know what I'm doing when I'm starting to create the game with AM.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:23 pm

For me, games just come to my mind :P
But I 've got no graphics developer...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Chromegloss55 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:40 pm

Game ideas seem to come to me at the most random times.

After learning Spanish, I suddenly felt like doing a Spanish based game, and very soon the 'Isla Hundiendo' game that I'm working on started being made.
Last edited by Chromegloss55 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chromegloss55
Forum Master

Postby pennsteve » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:52 am

Lyberodoggy wrote:For me, games just come to my mind :P
But I 've got no graphics developer...

Your response leads me to another question. I saw a post from a guy in another forum. He used a screen shot to show what error message he was getting.

It also showed the graphics on his game. Where do people get these graphics? Do you have to make them yourself with some kind of graphic developer or can you buy them or get them free somewhere?

Sorry for the stupid question.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:26 am

It depends on what kind of game u want to make...most make them with the applications they have..i make mine in Paint..and use a lot of textures..If you go to these sites here..u can see what u can use..Simply inbed into your projects..If you go to my website you can see screen shots of my games..and get an idea on how to use textures..is one idea...:)

Here is a thread that can get u started on where to go to get graphics for your games...

HERE
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:07 am

Yes, it depends. There are certain websites that offer free images for non-commercial use.

Otherwise, you can use different 2D or 3D software to create your own artwork, for example:
- 2D: Paint, GIMP, Created Painter included in AM, Photoshop etc.
- 3D:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=1264
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=1727

Caligari TrueSpace 7.6 is now free! (you need to register to get your copy)
trueSpace7.6 is a fully-featured 3D authoring package that will let you model, texture, light, animate and render 3D content. As well as traditional images and movies, you can also make 3D content for online shared spaces, and for Virtual Earth.
http://www.caligari.com/Products/tru...sp?Cate=BIntro
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Chromegloss55 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:47 pm

Well I use Corel for 2D work, but it will set you back around 90 or so euro.

Return to Working Together