Google SketchUp (free)

This forum is meant for discussing how to create pictures, sounds, and videos. You can also post technical questions about how to use a particular program (Poser, Lightwave, etc.).

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Google SketchUp (free)

Postby Candle » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:55 pm

Dream. Design. Communicate.

SketchUp is a simple but powerful tool for quickly and easily creating, viewing and modifying your 3D ideas.

Click on a shape and push or pull it to create your desired 3D geometry.

Experiment with color and texture directly on your model.

Real-time shadow casting lets you see exactly where the sun falls as you model.

Select from thousands of pre-drawn components to save time drawing.

Google SketchUp (free) is an easy-to-learn 3D modeling program that enables you to explore the world in 3D. With just a few simple tools, you can create 3D models of houses, sheds, decks, home additions, woodworking projects - even space ships. And once you've built your models, you can place them in Google Earth, post them to the 3D Warehouse, or print hard copies.

Google SketchUp is free for personal use. No registration is required.

Google SketchUp (free)

Beta

Adding a deck? Remodeling your kitchen? From simple to detailed, conceptual to realistic, Google SketchUp (free) lets you populate the world with true 3D objects. Want to build a fully dimensioned 3D model that can be used as the basis for your next do-it-yourself project? Google SketchUp's expanded feature lets you build in as much detail as your project requires.

http://sketchup.google.com/products.html
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Qtip5 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:09 am

This software is great!
Qtip5

Postby pennsteve » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:49 am

Its not great. I think you have to BUY the pro version. It worked ok the first time I used it, but after that all my boxes were transparent. I couldnt get it back to a solid cube type box.

I reinstalled it and it did the same thing. First time was good, second time everything was transparent (you could see all the lines in the cube).

?????
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:56 am

Did you by chance do the tutorial...it might help you..There is a really good one with it..Not that I'm a fan of Google-Sketch..but that did help, i just Kept getting other errors..when trying to use it..~

Peace~
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:58 am

mercedes wrote:Did you by chance do the tutorial...it might help you..There is a really good one with it..Not that I'm a fan of Google-Sketch..but that did help, i just Kept getting other errors..when trying to use it..~

Peace~

No, its like it is not letting me continue drawing the solid boxes. Paint wont work either the second time I use it.

I think they let you use certain features the first time and then disable them the second time, so you have to buy the pro version.

Figures.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:31 am

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4036

Have u seen this..I think you may like it..:)

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:21 am

Hmmm, I've used the free version a lot, and didn't experience any problems...
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Jaked » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:49 am

I no longer use Sketch-Up. I use Greenfish now! But it's a nice program.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

SketchUp: Solution to Transparency Problem

Postby JasonMc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:26 am

pennsteve wrote:
mercedes wrote:Did you by chance do the tutorial...it might help you..There is a really good one with it..Not that I'm a fan of Google-Sketch..but that did help, i just Kept getting other errors..when trying to use it..~

Peace~

No, its like it is not letting me continue drawing the solid boxes. Paint wont work either the second time I use it.

I think they let you use certain features the first time and then disable them the second time, so you have to buy the pro version.

Figures.

I know this is a bit late, and I don't know if anyone has already solved this, but in case the problem hasn't been resolved, or if anyone else has this issue, here's the solution.

I have used SketchUp a LOT, and I know exactly why that is happening.

On the view menu, click on "Toolbars" and "Face Style" (unless it is already selected.) If you can't figure out which toolbar that is, hide it, then show it again.

The button on the left of that toolbar (a blue, transparent cube) is called X-Ray. That is selected. Unselect that, and then click the second to last button on that toolbar, called "Shaded with Textures" (the striped cube.)

That should fix your problem.

That toolbar will let you change how your drawing is being displayed, to make editing easier (or preview rendering faster). If you ever need to see everything around you, you can click the X-Ray (the transparent blue cube) button too make everything transparent.

Hope that helps!

-Jason

P.S. Every usable feature in SketchUp Free Edition will stay usable forever. It clearly shows which features are in the Pro version.

Unless you need professional exporters or presentation features, or if you want to make interactive tours with it, you don't need the Pro. :D

You can also extend the features of SketchUp using plugins and Ruby scripts on their website. sketchup.google.com
-Jason McDonald
Manager, Programmer
MousePaw Games

--
PocketWatch 1.0 Plugin now available in the Plugins Corner!
JasonMc

Return to How to make pictures, sounds, and videos