Use ZW's Tutorial

This forum is meant for showing off your creations (3d renders, artwork...) and getting feedback.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Use ZW's Tutorial

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:01 pm

I used the tutorial and created this room, but god! It took hours and the bed is too small...
Attachments
room2.jpg
room2.jpg (35.47 KiB) Viewed 23034 times
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:05 pm

It's nice Doggy :D
And it's great to see that the tutorial gets used :D I used it, too, but I was struggling with details, too. Maybe I should practice some more :lol:
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:15 pm

LOL, I didn't even make a handle for the furniture...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:34 pm

I did that before his tutorials. Kinda suckier because I didn't use straight lines.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby pennsteve » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:41 pm

If I make a small mistake I dont worry about it. It doesnt have to be exactly perfect. As long as it looks decent, I figure nobody is using a T square to check all of my angles when they play a game. lol

I use the tutorials too, but like I said, if the mistake is small and hardly noticable I dont worry about it.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:43 pm

Lyberodoggy wrote:LOL, I didn't even make a handle for the furniture...

Hehe, the handle has to be found in the game :P :lol:
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Lyberodoggy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How didn't I think of it earlier :P
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:57 am

As long as it looks decent, I figure nobody is using a T square to check all of my angles when they play a game. lol

haha...that was funny...so true..

On another note..There is nothing wrong with that picture ..other than i might call it..." I really like Gradient"...LOL...:P

and i really like the bed..good job on it..

As for the tut..I LOVE it..i have made so much more straighter lines and more level playing rooms...real handy..

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:31 am

When I try to use a gradient tool it always comes out looking stupid. What am I doing wrong?
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:36 am

Actually so did I at first...im assuming u m ean jaggedy right..?

1 you can't have any lines...outlining anything..like a block has to be a straight color..no lines around it...deep lines..

Also Saving it as a jpeg...for some reason ..doesn't work well wit it either.."Sometimes"

What i do is basically draw the wall and fill with color and then apply gradient..come back outline it in paint ..and do the same with each wall..or whatever u are working on..:) Basically one object at a time..or wall at a time works for me..

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:49 am

Yeah, I just tried it and its all messed up. I tried it in jpeg, gif, and bmp. In gif it would only work on the ceiling, not the other areas.

The picture shows a room already drawn and it shows the after effects.

How am I supposed to draw a room without lines???
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:01 am

Sorry Steve..I meant Deep lines and OR.. different colored lines...here's an example..

I do one wall at at time...and for side walls i use the Vertical fill from top to bottom or whatever..bottom to top..Using the other one..Horizontal fill i use for the back wall...And then if i add an object...i color it and do it next..i don't do the whole room at once...that never works for me either..especially if there are objects in the way..it's one thing to do four walls and only 4 walls..

I saved it as a bmp--24 bit and then converted it to jpg for the forums here..

Peace
Attachments
Tut-2.JPG
Tut-2.JPG (12.49 KiB) Viewed 23006 times
Tut-3.JPG
Tut-3.JPG (13.37 KiB) Viewed 23006 times
Last edited by mercedes on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:05 am

That would take a long time. Are you using paint? I draw in paint. I would have to save the picture, use the gradient filler in AM, go back to paint, do another wall, save it, go to gradient filler, etc.

Does paintnet have a filler like this so I could do it all in one program?
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:08 am

I draw in Paint too...always..lol..and this took me like seconds..Paint doesn't have Gradient..fill..only Invert colors and or Bucket fill, so u fill wall fast..

And you can do four walls at once...only no objects in there..they have to be done separately...and no deeplines..

Try saving it as 24bit then add gradient..Try invert colors..on what i just did...really cool..lol

EDIT

paint net might..!
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:12 am

I just tried paintnet. I got one wall, clicked gradient, went to click on the wall and everything went weird. I have no idea how to use it.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:14 am

If its anything like another program i have with Gradient..you have to save the wall as a layer Or you have to Select the wall..so there is an outline...and then apply the gradient..Or you may have to save the wall separate as a Layer...and apply gradient then...not sure..I don't use Paint.net..i want too though..

I think this way is the easiest..for me it is..
Last edited by mercedes on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby Candle » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:15 am

My I give you a small hint.
Don't use the gradient. if you look at any backgrounds that have been done in games you won't see gradient, they are just plain ugly.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:17 am

Myself I don't mind it for objects..and or ceilings..and that's it...I don't use it for other features..only cause i run into what Steve is trying to do here...takes longer..i prefer TEXTURES..:p
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:22 am

Ok, i got it to work. One wall at a time. Save, load in paint, color a wall, save, load in gradient filler, save. load in paint......whew. time consuming. lol

What about adding furniture?? It will get all messed up when you draw the lines and have to erase them.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby pennsteve » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:24 am

oooooooook, what are textures? lol
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:27 am

lol...

Textures are like pictures of objects that you can imbed in Paint..Check this out..

http://www.planit3d.com/source/texture_files/textures.html

As for adding furniture....I don't do walls...because of this..What happens is you end up using the Magnifying glass and u end up using eyedropper to fill in color that u erased...I prefer textures for all of it...i may use the Gradient on the cieling..Maybe regular paint for the walls, and then using smudge tool or something to create a real look...This i just started doing though..I used Textures for all of my other games..for walls and especially floors...I still use it for floors..
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:33 am

What do you mean embedded in paint?
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:35 am

Use the selection tool in paint..and make a square...right click it..then choose Paste From---pick your texture...(Or you can open the Texture in another paint doc...and copy and paste it in...your drawing...

I'm not sure if Paint.net has a Caligraphy tool or not..but u can create your own texture with it too....like a brick wall look and apply it to a red colored wall u have in ur drawing..or u can make a dotted lines tool with Caligraphy pen..and apply it like grass in ur drawing..I've yet to use it myself cause i don't have this tool..I use Paint in conjuction wit GimP and Photoimpressions..for smudging and highlighting and darkening and even gradient..

Here is an attachment done with Textures..
Attachments
New_12_A.JPG
New_12_A.JPG (69.66 KiB) Viewed 22973 times
Last edited by mercedes on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:44 am

Ohhhh ok, like using a picture in paint. But will it fill only the wall? Like when you use paintbucket on a wall, it makes it all blue. Will the texture look normal when you use it on the wall? With the angles and such?
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:47 am

I edited my previous post to show what textures can do...you only get a small picture for a Texture..u have to apply it more than once..The house was done in Wood texture --Looks like a plank of wood..i BUILT...the house so to speak..The sky was done in a Sky texture...The ground was done with a flower texture...

Of course i used a smudge tool and other features to blend it all in..I used a Darkening tool for the mountains..

Ps the mountains are grabbed from the original picture that comes with AM
HOUSE_VERY_NEAR..
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:49 am

I just tried it, but you only get a rectangle. How do you make angles like this.... / \ etc.

Edit. I guess you use the eraser or the other tool where you can trace out a pattern and remove it.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:54 am

You have to make the walls like this..and floors

see attachment..
you have to use the EyeDropper too...and fill in places the texture doens't sit right..
Attachments
Tut-A.JPG
Tut-A.JPG (33.51 KiB) Viewed 22966 times
mercedes
VIP

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:44 am

About the problem you had with the gradient:

In JPG compression, images pixelize and that prevents the tool from working good.

Save from the first time your image as BMP and do all your walls and furniture, then use gradient...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby ZeornWarlock » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:03 pm

Just noticed this. :oops:

Great Job, Lyberodoggy. :D

Mercedes, you should include your paint fill trick into my tutorial page, or better yet, why not post a new tutorial about it. ;)

By the way, gradients are best for skies. Use them into windows. However, a gradient is also good for reflection (Radiocity if I remember the word correctly!) effects. Especially on cubes.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Return to Artwork