Can a looping 2-3 frame gif animation be used for iphones?

This forum is meant for discussing the creation of software for iPhone and iPod touch.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Can a looping 2-3 frame gif animation be used for iphones?

Postby wickedsunny » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:29 am

I am a total noob, came to know about adventure maker today.

I would like to know, can gif animations be added into games for iphones?

Just one or two frames, or maybe two different pics could be made to loop?

Also how exactly should I test the game on iphone?

I do not have an iphone, so testing it on psp or ipod touch is similar or it will give different outputs?
wickedsunny

Postby Mystery » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:50 am

Welcome to the forums wickedsunny :)

You can check what features are supported in detail on this page:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/features_ ... _touch.htm

It says:
Display animations by using animated GIFs (no animated transparency on Windows) is supported by all platforms (Windows, PSP, and iPhone/iPodTouch) :)

You can test games for iPhone in your browser or iPod Touch if you have it.
The software compiled for iPhone / iPod touch is safe HTML-based software that runs through the built-in web browser.
Just like the short demo game: http://www.adventuremaker.com/sample1/
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby wickedsunny » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:57 am

Thank you mystery

I will give the free version a try.

Because I am a designer, it will be easy for me.

But how exactly will I be able to sell my games?

I will buy the real edition, if the adventure maker suits my style.
wickedsunny

Postby Mystery » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:41 am

In order to to be allowed to sell any games, you need the commercial license of Adventure Maker :)

Selling games for iPhone works through igiki.com where you can upload your game directly from Adventure Maker. However, in the past days, members have experienced some problems with igiki.com. The issues will be checked as soon as GM-Support is back, if they are still persisting.

Selling games for other platforms work differently - either you sell them yourself from your website with e.g. Paypal, or you find a publisher (which is btw not very easy according to experiences from some members).

Sure, test out the free version; also remember that you can test/evaluate some advanced features :)

Quote from the AM website:
It is possible to evaluate the advanced features of the Full Edition (360-degree panoramas, third-person sprites, plugins, scripting, Flash, ActiveX components, etc.) from within the Free Edition (download). Just launch the Free Edition and you will notice that the buttons that belong to the Full Edition are grayed but you can still click on them (for projects with less than 20 frames). You can even create your own plugins. Please note that some features are available only when creating software for the Windows platform (in the Project Properties, set the "target platform" to "Windows" to access all the features).

I hope that you'll have much fun with AM :)
Mystery

Postby wickedsunny » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:54 pm

Mystery, I have downloaded a demo and have also learned a little bit.

When I am importing a gif animated file (having 7 frames) it is showing only as a still frame, how do I make it animate by simple looping?

The project iswith iphone settings.
wickedsunny

Postby Mystery » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:29 pm

Wickedsunny, I think this is the same question as here:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=4314

Please check if the replies help you to solve the problem.
If not, please post again here :)
Mystery

Postby wickedsunny » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:56 pm

I understand, I will not see the animated gif unless I run it on iphone itself.

But In windows I am having an option to select the gif to be animated while there is no such option when i choose iphone platform.
wickedsunny

Postby mercedes » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:04 pm

That's right..you see it when u run it on Iphone..but in windows..u see it right away with checking off the option..:)

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Yes, indeed, it seems to be the case for the games for iPhone from what the description says :)
(Sorry, I have not much experience with games for the iPhone)

Yes, for games for Windows, you need to check the box "Is an animated GIF" :)
Mystery

Postby wickedsunny » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:18 pm

if windows does not have a gif transparency option does other platform like iphone or psp supports it?

How exactly I make a gif animation appear blended with the surroundings?

This way I will have to actually make the whole background into a gif animated file with my character animating in front.

I have few more questions -

How many frames can a full edition support and how many frames can be put in a game for optimized viewing without creating lag on iphone or making the file size huge?
wickedsunny

Postby mercedes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:39 pm

hi there..

I don't know about the frames in iphone as i never use it really..but you can have a look at this thread..for the animation question for backround and have it blend..but it's done in GIMP..But if u have an animator then u should be able to do this as well. It is simply just making the backround or whatever picture u want to animate..

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4286

and it requires no transparency..

I hope this helps..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby Mystery » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:41 pm

Currently, animated GIFs with transparency are not supported for any platform.
For the Windows platform however, you can use the Gif Sequence Player plugin, which supports transparency.

You can use hundreds of frames theoretically, however I don't have experience with iPhone games to tell you what would be optimal for an iPhone game. I need to pass answering this question to someone else.
Mystery

Postby wickedsunny » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:43 pm

Mercedes, I am a designer, animator myself and also a writer and cook.

Currently I am saving it in imageready so I am having these problems maybe I should try gimp as well.

thanks for this.
wickedsunny

Postby Chromegloss55 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:28 pm

Out of interest, where is GMSupport?
Last edited by Chromegloss55 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chromegloss55
Forum Master

Postby mercedes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:41 am

From what I have heard..he's gone till the 16th..which would be today, Not sure when u posted this.. i see totally different times on my side.

but if u need to reach him..he gets back to u quickly enough..:)
mercedes
VIP

Postby GM-Support » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:29 pm

wickedsunny wrote:if windows does not have a gif transparency option does other platform like iphone or psp supports it?

Yes, iPhone and PSP both support GIF transparency. Just import the GIF into Adventure Maker, and, when you publish the game and play it on the actual device (or on your desktop web browser), you should notice the transparency (unlike when you test the game from AM on Windows).

wickedsunny wrote:How many frames can a full edition support and how many frames can be put in a game for optimized viewing without creating lag on iphone or making the file size huge?

As far as the iPhone games are concerned, there is currently no relationship between the size of the game and the delays whatsoever. If your game is very big, it won't have any impact on the gameplay because the frames are downloaded only when they are needed. Only the number of variables may have a small impact on the initial loading time, but my tests have shown that this delay is unnoticeable.

wickedsunny wrote:can gif animations be added into games for iphones?

I have heard that GIF animations that contain only a few images may play fine on the iPhone but I have not had the opportunity to confirm it. Please keep us updated if you have any news about that.

Thank you and best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support

Return to Creating Software for iPhone and iPod Touch