New version 2.0 of the 3rd Person Plugin released! (beta1)

This forum is meant for announcing new plugins, downloading other people's plugins, posting questions, etc.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

New version 2.0 of the 3rd Person Plugin released! (beta1)

Postby GM-Support » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:12 am

Hi,

I am pleased to announce the release of the new version 2.0 (beta1) of the 3rd Person Plugin!

You can download it from the following location (100KB, source code included):
third_person_plugin_v2_0_with_source_code.zip

New in version 2.0 is the ability to make the character walk around obstacles.

You can define the area where the character is allowed to walk. To do so, just fill the desired area with hotspots (slightly overlap the hotspots to make them connected), and then check the option "Constraint the character to walk inside hotspots" from the Plugins tab of the Frame Properties. This will ensure that the character will only walk in places where there are hotspots. Please note that both the initial position and the destination position of the character must be set inside the area where the character is allowed to walk.

The character will automatically take the shortest path to go from one point to another.

Note for expert users and for those who want to improve their VBScript skills: you can see how the new feature works by having a look at the VBScript source code of the plugin. To do so, after installing the plugin, click "Create/Modify Plugins", select the 3rd person plugin v2 (part1), click "Edit Selected Plugin", and then click the "Procedures" tab. The code under the "Procedures" tab contains most of the changes since version 1.0, including the logic for finding the shortest path and for calculating the trajectory.

Please post feedback about the new version.

Best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby imothep85 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:51 am

yepeeeee thanks i go to try this direcltly tonight :D
imothep85

Postby GM-Support » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:46 pm

imothep85 wrote:yepeeeee thanks i go to try this direcltly tonight :D

you are welcome! :)

Let me know if it works fine.
GM-Support

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:43 pm

It's a great update and I loved the code. Especially the hotspot detecting using coordinates and the AI used to decide the path
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Chromegloss55 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Great stuff! :D
Last edited by Chromegloss55 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chromegloss55
Forum Master

Postby imothep85 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi, for me is not working..........nothing happens, i do all like its on the help.. create new background, select the plugin v2.0, create the hotspots and active when i clic, the character move inside the hotspots....BUT nothing happens....
My frame is in 1024x768 and the project is on the same size, i have checked...now i dont now what i can do...
My charachter is visible, but he stay ALLWAYS at the same place,, in the left corner............i dont now why... i have try to change the position with the clock...option... 1.2.3.4.5.6 etc but nothing.... i put the picture here...
Attachments
Error01.jpg
Error01.jpg (70.99 KiB) Viewed 17000 times
imothep85

Postby GM-Support » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

imothep85: Under the Plugins tab of the Frame Properties, you must enter an "initial position" that must correspond to a place where there is at least one hotspot. If initially the character is outside any hotspots, it won't move at all.

GM-Support
GM-Support

Postby imothep85 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi i have try anything....when i try to change where the character need to be, i have allways a big crash of the software, i have take a screenshot of the error, this happens when i try to change the position of the character in a hotspot.....

EDIT: now its working BUT !! if you put a value on the hotspots with the clck option... 1,2,3 etc, he CRASH the software, ALLWAYS!!! so i think you need to ckeck that absolutly, because the error in this picture happens allways when i try to change theses values...
Attachments
Error02.jpg
Error02.jpg (30.94 KiB) Viewed 16987 times
imothep85

Postby GM-Support » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 pm

Hi,

I cannot seem to reproduce the error.

Can you please attach a small project where the error occurs, so that I can try to reproduce it on my computer?

Alternatively, can you please tell me exactly the steps to reproduce the problem, starting from a new empty project?

Thanks,
GM-Support

Note: in the Project Properties, be sure to UNCHECK the version 1 of the plugin (it is not possible to have multiple versions of the plugin enabled at the same time).
GM-Support

Postby mercedes » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 pm

I believe imothep85
is speaking of the "Orientation" of the character..and from what the error looks like...it looks like he typed in "13' for an orientation perhaps..

13 doesn't Exist..only 1-12...At least thats what it looks like he may be saying ...:? "Type Mismatch" usually happens when its something you type..At least that's what i've seen..:)

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Candle » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Does this include ShadowHunters new updated third person plugin.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby GM-Support » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Candle wrote:Does this include ShadowHunters new updated third person plugin.

No, because I didn't have the source code of ShadowHunter's version 1.1.

However, it should be pretty easy to merge his version with v2.0 because the changes that I have made are mostly limited to the main procedure ("Procedures" tab of the Plugin Properties of the part 1 of the plugin). The OCX itself was almost not modified, except for the two public functions that return the current position of the character.

You will find the full source code of v2.0 in the first post of this thread, bundled with the plugin.

Thanks
GM-Support

Re: New version 2.0 of the 3rd Person Plugin released! (beta

Postby Stitches » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi, all! First time posting! Happy to join le forums. Anyhow, my question regarding this plugin. The principal of it I love- the connected and constrained paths for sprites is currently holding me back on a few of my frames. I've been using variables to make the character walk a certain path but it does get ridiculous. I downloaded this plugin and copied it to the AM plugins folder as instructed. However, when booting AM (4.7.1) the third person 2.0 doesn't appear in the plugins menu. I thought about replacing V1.0 but it does ask to permanently delete it. Complete noob here, so this could be a duh... Could I copy the V1.0 into a backup folder and bring it back if there are errors with the replacement plugin? Also do I have to do anything special to apply the plugin? I'm doing my best to go through this forum and make sure I'm not asking a question one of you folks have answered already.

part b to this question...
Is there a way to add more movements than just walking to the sprite? For instance, when looking at an object, say I want the player to turn to the camera and talk (like Discworld or Simon the sorcerer). Do I HAVE to navigate the player to one section and do a bloc gif sequence or animation or is there a way to just activate the sprite (with transparency included) to talk, pickup, jump? I already have a perfect walking sprite which runs 8 angles, 22 frames each and transparent etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaynardStaly/videos and http://libertycap.webs.com
“With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he’ll never know.”
Stitches

Return to The Plugins Corner