Audio

This forum is meant for discussing the creation of software for iPhone and iPod touch.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Audio

Postby Interfacer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi, I am creating an iPhone app that mimics a sci-fi interface. I would like to have an audio track play in the background (just a looping track of technical white noise).

I understand that this functionality is not included in the software, but I noticed that the campfire app created with Adventuremaker has an audio track playing. Does anyone know a way to accomplish this?

Much appreciated.
Interfacer

Postby Candle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:52 pm

There is no audio in that fireplace.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Interfacer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Are there any solutions out there for this? I would gladly pay someone who could implement this feature for me.
Interfacer

Postby Candle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Not at this time I don't think you can.
GM maybe working on it ?
I made the fireplace for the iphone.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Interfacer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Oh, is that app different then the .99 version currently in the app store? I think that's where I got confused...
Interfacer

Postby Candle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:56 pm

could you show me a link to the one you mean.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Interfacer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:59 pm

I've only seen it in iTunes. If you search "Fireplace", it's the first hit.
Interfacer

Postby Candle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:33 pm

Ok the games made with AM our different then the ones on the apple site.
Those are made with the apple SDK
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby chickens1127 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Yea... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi... It's Chickens1127...
CHINCHILLAS ROCK!

RIP Crazygamemaker
chickens1127
AM Magazine Moderator

Postby Interfacer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:01 pm

But AM games can be published for the iPhone and listed on the app store... right?
Interfacer

Postby Candle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:21 pm

Not listed on the apple store, unless you get your game listed there.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Interfacer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:31 pm

Ok, so I'm looking to create an adventure game and then pay to join the apple developer's club (which allows you to upload programs for the app store).

So, just to confirm, if I create export a game through Adventure Maker, this game will be compatible with the iPhone, and -therefore- can be listed on the app store, right?
Interfacer

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:48 am

As long as you select the Iphone-Ipod touch platform...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Interfacer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Very neat. Actually, let's continue this dialogue:

I am an User Interface designer with a local video game company. Many of us persue side projects, and we've formulated a small team that wants to make a classic point and click adventure for the iPhone (i.e. a Monkey Island - esque game in first person view)

We've done some research for software packages and - the majority of us being artists - prefer a framework that is intuitive and easy to use.

We've already created a demo of our game using the free mode, and are potentially interested in buying the commercial software package. Our only trepidation lies with a lack of products that have been produced for the iPhone using this software. Could anyone here point us to a published iPhone app, or give an example of an AM project successfully making the move to the iPhone?

Thanks!
Interfacer

Postby Candle » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:58 pm

far as i know , no one has yet. there are a few simple games but nothing on the scale your looking at.
``````````````
Candle
Administrator

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:30 pm

Look Interfacer, the Ipod-Iphone platform is not as wide used, but that doesn't mean anything... It's just that not as many people use this platform as the ones who use the PC...

One great feature is the one click sell on Igiki...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby GM-Support » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi Interfacer,

thanks for using Adventure Maker.

Interfacer wrote:So, just to confirm, if I create export a game through Adventure Maker, this game will be compatible with the iPhone

Yes, if you select "iPhone/iPodTouch" as the "Target Platform" in the "Project Properties".

Interfacer wrote:and -therefore- can be listed on the app store, right?

Not exactly.

There are two kinds of applications (which includes games) that can be created for the iPhone:

• Natively compiled applications: those are the ones that are listed on the App Store. Creating such apps has been possible only since the release of the firmware 2.0 of the iPhone, on July 11, 2008. The only way to create such apps is by using the XCode developer tools, which run only on Macintosh computers. As far as I know, there is no other tool that allows you to create such apps. Also, the only way to deploy such applications is through the official Apple's Apps Store (which appears both on the Apple website and in iTunes). However, to get your app listed on that App Store, you will need an iPhone Developer Program subscription, which costs about USD $100 per year (and also gives you other advantages). Please note that if you want to create a 3D application, an application that uses the accelerometer, the camera, or any other advanced feature of the iPhone, this is the only possibility that you have.
  • HTML-based application (aka "web apps"): those are the ones listed on the Apple's Web Apps page. It has been possible to create such apps since the release of the iPhone on June 29, 2007. Those apps can be run through the iPhone built-in "Safari" web browser, without any installation. You can get your app listed on the Apple's Web Apps page for free. You can also deploy your game without messing with Apples's Web Apps page. In fact, you just need to upload the HTML files to your own website and people will be able to play your game from the iPhone. This means that there is no censorship, and no subscription is needed. Unlike natively compiled applications, these apps do not support all the features of the iPhone (accelerometer, 3D, camera, etc.), but you can still create some very nice complex games. As far as I know, background sound (without leaving Safari) is not yet supported, though I may be wrong about this.

When you export a game with Adventure Maker v4.4.x or v4.5.x, the kind of application that is generated is the second one (HTML-based application, aka "web apps").

Interfacer wrote:Could anyone here point us to a published iPhone app, or give an example of an AM project successfully making the move to the iPhone?

Some games are under development. Please click this link to play a preview of an iPhone version of Aurora - The Secret Within, a successful PC game created with Adventure Maker (game overview).

Since no major full-length games have been released yet, the first person who releases a full game for iPhone (created with Adventure Maker) will get a very large ad on the Adventure Maker homepage, many links though-out the website (resulting in very high exposure for free), priority support from the authors of AM, and possibly more.

Best regards,

GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Interfacer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:11 am

Excellent reply GM, I really appreciate it. We're continuing development and hope to have something to show for it soon. I'll most likely be back soon with some more questions. Thanks!
Interfacer

Postby GM-Support » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Thank you.

Please feel free to send me a preview of what you are doing so that I can send you some feedback in time. You can zip the exported html files and send them to:

Good luck with the development,

Regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support

Postby Sunny Day » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:32 am

Couldnt you have a sound file in a directory on the iphone or another program running that can play sounds, or make a sound, then have the iphone game play or run an outside aplication in the background, so the game is not playing the sound within the game, it is running an outside program that is playing the sound, if you get what I mean.
Sunny Day

Postby GM-Support » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:21 am

Hi,

I am not sure that sound keeps playing when you go back to Safari. We need to check it.

Thanks,
GM-Support

Sunny Day wrote:Couldnt you have a sound file in a directory on the iphone or another program running that can play sounds, or make a sound, then have the iphone game play or run an outside aplication in the background, so the game is not playing the sound within the game, it is running an outside program that is playing the sound, if you get what I mean.
GM-Support

Postby Sunny Day » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:18 pm

Since no major full-length games have been released yet, the first person who releases a full game for iPhone

I made a full length app, its an information app. But there is no way to sell web apps, so whats the point. I see something called igiki, but the site says nothing on how they wrap the web app and protect it from piracy or how mant visitors they get, or what the royalties is, looking at the site it doesnt look like something that would get a lot of traffic, so it doesnt exactly attract me.

So the only option is to buy a mac and try and wrap the web app into a native app, other than that you can try putting some google ads or something into a web app then giving it out for free, I may bang something out quick and see if I can do that, but I dont think AM can output a an app with html in it, at least not for iphone, though why output for iphone and not just a normal web page app, perhaps we can stick some code in that, anyway Ive asked a bunch of questions on this on another thread here, Ill see what I get back, and from that decide if Ill use AM, or just go with a regular web page design program for the job.
Sunny Day

Return to Creating Software for iPhone and iPod Touch