Surface Deep (formerly known as Truth)

Games that never made it to the light of day.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Surface Deep (formerly known as Truth)

Postby Zenoc2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:20 am

This comes as a bit of a shocker, even to me, but it seems that I'm going to be making a good part of this game by myself.

I'm still making Surface Deep (which had Truth as its working title) for my church, but I don't think I'm going to be able to start up a group for making it until I have something concrete to show off. At any rate, I'll try to have a working demo up for you (and for the people at my youth group) by... oh, next summer, I suppose. I'm giving myself such a long time in which to make the demo because I want it to be as close as possible to the quality of the final game. However, I will probably also post smaller demos to give you an idea of how things are progressing.

Here's a list of things that I hope to include in the final game:
360 degree panoramic view
Live action actors
Interactive "choose-your-path" story

Wish me luck!
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Jaked » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:01 am

I don't mean to sound nosy, but only do ONE topic for your Truth/Surface Deep game.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Zenoc2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:37 am

Sorry. I posted here because up until now the game was only an idea. This is the official announcement that I will in fact be making the game. From now on I will be posting everything relating to Surface Deep here.

Now working on the first short demo. Here's the first screeenshot (note: the shorter demos will, for the most part, be in standard adventure game format and will not be 360 degree panoramas):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Zenoc2 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Vairon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:51 am

Hi Zenoc! I am very pleased that this project is made official, it sounds very good.
Take your time for the demo, but do not forget us, we need material to cheer you, jeje :D

Good luck!
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:09 am

Good luck with your project. Once again if you need any help, don't hesitate...
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Zenoc2 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Zenoc2 wrote:
Zenoc2 wrote:Thanks guys. I wouldn't be getting very far without your support. 8) The first demo will be a little walk-around of the Worker tunnels, and will have at least one puzzle... as soon as I come up with one. :)

EDIT: Updated the first screenshot.

Older post deleted

Because of time restrictions, along with the fact that I can't think of a solid puzzle that actually integrates into the environment (as well as a few other reasons) this first demo will not have any puzzles. Pay attention, however- you'll probably find where a puzzle or maybe the key to a puzzle will be in the next demo.

Also, because I don't have the full version of my renderer just yet, the screens are in 500 by 500 res., and so the demo will run in 640 by 480.

I could also use a little help with music and sound design... anyone?

Old post deleted

Just posting to let everyone know that I'm still working on this project. Chromegloss is now the official composer for the project, and it's amazing how well his stuff fits with the game so far. As for the first demo, I'm holding off on releasing it for just a little longer so that I can have at least one good puzzle.

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Chromegloss55 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:19 pm

I look forward to scoring what looks to be an incredible game.

Hopefully I'll be able to make the music fitting and memorable.
Chromegloss - Vanishes and then re-appears at complete random. [Working on Advanced Section of VBScript guide]
Chromegloss55
Forum Master

Postby Zenoc2 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:36 am

Good news! I finally got ahold of the full version of the renderer I'm using. The first demo is now being upgraded to 800 x 600 resolution.

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Chromegloss55 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Here is one of the tracks that was composed for this project. It is not fully completed yet, so I apologize in advance for the slightly abrupt ending.

However, it should give you an idea of the type of score that we're working towards:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ewyyyn9tmck

Hope you enjoy it... :wink:
Chromegloss - Vanishes and then re-appears at complete random. [Working on Advanced Section of VBScript guide]
Chromegloss55
Forum Master

Postby Vairon » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Wow! The track sounds great. You have a lot of talent. :wink:
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Zenoc2 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:04 am

And he's a mind reader. He seemed to know exactly what kind of music I needed for this project. 8)

In other news, the first demo has changed once again in resolution. It will be in 1024 x 768.

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Zenoc2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:20 am

Got some bad news for you, guys. Due to the fact that Chromegloss and I are the only people on this project (I can't generate interest at my church) and that the game has simply become too big for only two people to put together, I'm putting this project on indefinite hold. I'll still be part of the community, and I'll keep working on my other projects, but Surface Deep won't be out for... who knows how long? This is a major bummer for me, as I'm sure it is for everyone else. However, I'm no quitter. This game will be made!... Eventually.

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:37 am

Let me know if there is something on this project I can help with. I didn't realize you were looking for anyone! :?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Zenoc2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 am

Thanks reneuend, but I don't think anything short of a professional team like Cyan Worlds could make the game that I want this to be. One of the main problems is that a large part of the game takes place in a city- both above and below it. That's a lot of modeling and coding and greenscreen acting and... just too much. The good news is, I'm now completely free to work on Breath, as well as some of my other, smaller ideas for games. Ok, I still have school to deal with, but otherwise, I'm free. :wink:

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:24 pm

Once in the team, always in.
This is a job for the Free Thinkers :wink:
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Zenoc2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Maybe once some more of you can do 3D modeling I'll consider it. :wink: For now, this is just another temporarily shelved Witfire Studios project.

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Imari » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:15 am

Have you thought about using pre-made meshes for the generic-background-unimportants stuff? There is a lot of excellent stuff out there.

If you use Poser, Vue, or Bryce, for instance, you could use the pre-built stuff to build the background buildings of your city and then concentrate your limited time on fabricating the items that really matter.

Some of these Poser/Vue 3d artists are really amazing. Take a look at the works by Stonemason, coflek-gnorg, Ratracer, IanMPalmer, and Faveral for example. They all do cities. Daz3d has a couple of the Dystopia sets for free.

Personally, I think it's like having mesh and texture artists working for you... just not exclusively.
:wink:
Imari
VIP

Postby Zenoc2 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:43 am

Well, I'm a bit reluctant to use stuff that isn't original to the project, and I can bet that they won't have the kind of city I'm looking for. :wink: Still, thanks for the suggestion. If I never become part of a professional studio, or whatever else it will take to make this game the way I want to, I will at least use that for the waves in the ocean- those would take way too long for me to model.

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:14 am

Moving this topic to the Vaporware Games on request of the game author. PM me if you take up work on it again :)
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to Vaporware Games