Request a Tutorial here

This forum is meant for people to share their knowledge by writing their own tutorials for Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby mercedes » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:18 am

Yes but what is the difference...between all 3..Do you know..I've often wondered it myself..lol..

Is there any difference at all..in terms of viewing them online..or setting them up to go online.."html" won't work through a website.. ? How else can they be viewed..:? Something sounds wrong there..

"add a variable" wont work either unless you explain where to put them, etc.

Steve what do u mean by that..?........

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:10 am

I mean, usually when someone does a tutorial they will explain things but not enough. Like they will say "create a hotspot and make a variable" and then they go on to the next subject.

Tell them what a variable is, where to place it, etc.

I guess those who DO know how to make these games and put them in websites aren't going to help because they dont want competition from the rest of us.

I made a crappy one. It was very short because I wasnt sure what I was doing. Oh well.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:25 am

Oh...do you not use variables..? Are you saying you don't know how to use them..or is that an example u are giving ..?

Just curious..Cause I can give you an example if you want to know what they are and how to use them...if that helps better understand them..
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:16 am

I am saying when someone creates a tutorial they should be in-depth. Don't be vague because it leads to a lot of questions and posts. If you tell someone simply to 'insert a variable" and then move on to the next subject, you are ASSUMING they know what a variable is, how it is used, what it does, and where to place it. Give them more information.

I've used variables in the one game I made and put on my site (html using the ipod format, thats the only way I could get it to work) but it was a very basic game. It's been awhile so I would have to re-learn how to use them.

I am posting this for everyone who is new, not just me. Dont be vague when making a tutorial. Read over it and pretend you are new.....would you understand what you just wrote if you knew nothing about variables and VB etc?

And yes, I want a tutorial on how to make a better game that can be played on a website WITHOUT having to download. Something like mystery made with the horse and the tree, etc.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:10 am

Just out of curiosity..what happens when u try to use the HTML format...cause its really simple..Just create a game like u normally would...then hit the link..staying away from advanced tab and .ico files..that's it..Other than variables...You would have to get used to using them..Or i can post a small tutorial..on the game itself..I played it..Or send u what i can..like show you how she did it..

So that's what i guess im wondering..what happens when u try to use this format...do u get an error message..Maybe it's your website..? Does it allow you to use index homepages..i think its called..?
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:14 am

If I create a game in windows format the html doesnt work on my site. If I use the ipod or whatever format, it works.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:27 am

Ok well, you can create the same game with those formats..as well as html..so i gather it wouldn't matter which format u use..I doubt anyone else has used the html format..other than Mystery..I think..so you can attempt the same game with the ipod..AM has the example game ppl can test..and it's similar :)..In terms of hotspots..and variables..all the same..Anything you want to know or need help with..just pm me.. whilst your making the game or whatever..:D

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Jaked » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:55 am

Can you use variables to change dialogue. (I know, I know, but it's kind of different from what lyberodoggy's stating.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 am

Jaked wrote:Can you use variables to change dialogue. (I know, I know, but it's kind of different from what lyberodoggy's stating.

Hi Jaked,

One way to accomplish this is to use a different frame for a different dialogue.

For example: lets say the user is calling tech support. The frame displays a help desk attendant answering the phone. the dialogue is asking for help on something. Now here is where I'm not sure what you are needing. Do you want the ability to choose what or how to ask and receive a reaction from it? or do you want the question to be answered with a random answer?

both can be done. I would assume the first method is what you are looking for, so here goes:

enter question in the dialogue tool as: "hello, can I get help with a technical problem please?"

enter another question in the dialogue tool as: "Transfer me to Tech support please."

When the user selects the first question: the response might be, "you have a cute voice. what's your name?"

When the user selects the second question: set a variable and send him to a different frame using the advanced tab and in this case it would be a scene with tech support and probably dialogue with this character.

I hope this makes sense. I can quickly build an example if that would help.
reneuend
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:00 am

reneuend wrote:
Jaked wrote:Can you use variables to change dialogue. (I know, I know, but it's kind of different from what lyberodoggy's stating.

Hi Jaked,

One way to accomplish this is to use a different frame for a different dialogue.

For example: lets say the user is calling tech support. The frame displays a help desk attendant answering the phone. the dialogue is asking for help on something. Now here is where I'm not sure what you are needing. Do you want the ability to choose what or how to ask and receive a reaction from it? or do you want the question to be answered with a random answer?

both can be done. I would assume the first method is what you are looking for, so here goes:

enter question in the dialogue tool as: "hello, can I get help with a technical problem please?"

enter another question in the dialogue tool as: "Transfer me to Tech support please."

When the user selects the first question: the response might be, "you have a cute voice. what's your name?"

When the user selects the second question: set a variable and send him to a different frame using the advanced tab and in this case it would be a scene with tech support and probably dialogue with this character.

I hope this makes sense. I can quickly build an example if that would help.

No, it's more like...

You talk to someone and exhaust all topics, nothing about the knife you find with the prints of the person you just talked to. You still have all previous topics, but there's a new question, "I found this knife..."
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:05 am

:!: [Update] See the tutorial I threw together for manipulating the dialogue wizard at http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21917#21917

so, can you find the knife before the initial conversation? I think you could still have a second frame dedicated to the conversation about the knife. Just use the advanced tab in the initial conversation frame and check if the variable (knife_found = 1). If it was found, then transport to the knife conversation in another frame.

Definitely, not an ideal way to handle this, but it's an opportunity for someone to write a cool dialogue plugin! :wink:

I hope I understood correctly this time.
reneuend
Administrator

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:21 am

You can create the frame, add the dialogue, THEN duplicate the frame and modify the dialogue on the second one to work with two frames going there with variables

If knifefound=1 then
Gotoframe "dialogueknifefound"
else
Gotoframe "dialogueknifenotfound"
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Lyberodoggy wrote:You can create the frame, add the dialogue, THEN duplicate the frame and modify the dialogue on the second one to work with two frames going there with variables

If knifefound=1 then
else

I see. And I should put in in VBS on the knife when you explore the suspect's bedroom Action.SetVariable "knifefound=1"?
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:18 pm

No the actual syntax is
knifefound=1

Then create the integer variable knifefound
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Lyberodoggy wrote:No the actual syntax is
knifefound=1

Then create the integer variable knifefound

Oh. Murder on the Mound has many intriguing things like recieving a map you can click on to go places. How can I click on an object in an inventory and go to a new frame? (In this case, "Map".) I can do that with making a booboo in the oven bomb puzzle (kinda suckish since it's using the same password textbox tutorial Candle did) :P, but I can't do that with objects.
Jaked
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:34 pm

:? That's a good question. I haven't found a way to use the inventory that way either.

The only options I know of are to: (a) make a custom inventory, (b) use the click and drag from the inventory to a hotspot to go to another frame, or click and drag an item in the inventory to another object in the inventory to go to another frame.
reneuend
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:44 pm

Lyberodoggy, it said "If" is not... blah blah blah... ACSSI... blah blah... make sure no symbols are Chinese or something... I really don't think that is the right thing, and I also tried case hackgravel=1 then (blah blah blah) and if case else, GoToFrame "Frame 8" and it goes off saying "expected statement" :P.
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:48 pm

Didn't you just try an end if?

If knifefound=1 then
else
End if
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Lyberodoggy wrote:Didn't you just try an end if?

If knifefound=1 then
else
End if

*SMACKS HIMSELF IN THE HEAD* Hold on a minute... yes! It works! Thanks..
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:55 pm

Glad.

Oh and... don't get off topic :?
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:55 pm

Tutorial request again :P.

Can I have a clock/time system where certain variables (characters, going outside) disables or enables its availability based on what ''time'' it is. Say. 5 minutes into gameplay it's 12:00 and you can talk to a... banker. 15 minutes into gameplay and it's 7:45 PM and you can't talk to him because he's not there anymore.
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:26 pm

need three vars
Seconds, minutes, hours
Every time a save game is loaded or the game starts:
Code: Select all
Action.CreateTimedEvent 1, "UpdateTime",True

Procedures:
Sub UpdateTime
seconds=seconds+1
if seconds=60 then
seconds=0
minutes=minutes+1
If minutes=60 then
minutes=0
hours=hours+1
if hours=24 then
hours=0
end if
end if
end if
End sub
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:08 am

I want a puzzle like Othello or a Jigsaw puzzle, but I cannot make it so if you win you get an item (say, "key") and exit the minigame/puzzle. Is that possible and if so, how so? I know how to do them standalone. I'm trying to make a game below AdventureCompany or HerInteractive standards, but it sounds like I'm going above normal standards :P. Bolding the real request.
Jaked
Code Master

Postby Lyberodoggy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:23 am

Create the item you want.

In the check button, or wherever the game checks if the player won, in the win results section, add this code:
Additem "ItemName"
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Jaked » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:48 am

I want a colored spinning wheel with 4 colours: blue, green, red, and yellow and when it happens a hotspot magically appears. But I do not know how to do it with variables. Is it like

If yellow=1 then
GoToFrame "Green"
End If

...something with variables in VBscript...
If green=1 then
GoToFrame "Blue"
End If

...something on VBScript to change the variable from green=1 blue=0 to
green=0 blue=1.

All I need to know is the variable action needed to switch the variables. Or note out something I missed.
Jaked
Code Master

Postby mercedes » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

HI jaked...:D

You know u don't need to use Frames..u can use hotspots..I beleive it saves work..either way its the same..

You can do this like i did my arrows..:D --Scroll to the bottom of thread..How this works..everytime the user hits the color it changes from green to yellow or whatever..in my case it was arrows..You could also use the Tutorial on Colored Boxes with VBS script..Although i think this one might be easier and less typing..:D

Check this thread out..
You need to make variables box1 box2 box3 box4 ...etc..plus make variables myvariable myvariable1 myvariable2 etc..

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4659&highlight=arrows

..if u don't want to do it this way..Just use the variable tabs..in all other hotspots..Would that work..How many hotspots is the user clicking..just one or more..on the same frame..?

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Inventory and Cursor

Postby Tiki » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Instead of having a drag and drop inventory, is there a way to grab an item in inventory and have the cursor change to that item until right clicking (then the item goes back to inventory and the cursor changes back to default) ?
If there is a way, a tutorial would be much appreciated.
Tiki

Postby Mystery » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:34 pm

I guess you'll need to use ShadowHunter's Keyguard Plugin for that.

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=4866
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Jaked » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Not a tutorial request, just a question: is this code legit?

If Searchedge=1 then
Action.Message "Aha!"
Action.AddItem "Manuscript"
Searchhedge=2
If Searchhedge=2 then
Action.Message "I searched there."
Else
Action.Message "These are neatly... there's something there!"
Searchhedge=1
End if
Jaked
Code Master

Postby reneuend » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Jaked wrote:Not a tutorial request, just a question: is this code legit?

If Searchedge=1 then
Action.Message "Aha!"
Searchhedge=2
If Searchhedge=2 then
Else
Searchhedge=1
End if

You have a missing End If and you set Searchhedge = 2 which means both of your IFs will get used. I think you wanted this:

If Searchedge=1 then
    Action.Message "Aha!"
    Searchhedge=2
ElseIf Searchhedge=2 then
Else
    Searchhedge=1
End if
Last edited by reneuend on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

reneuend
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Post Your Own Tutorials