What is your favorite painting program?

This forum is meant for showing off your creations (3d renders, artwork...) and getting feedback.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

What is your favorite painting program?

Postby reneuend » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:08 am

I've been using PaintshopPro since they came out under Jasc. Now that I'm buying a bamboo graphics tablet I'd like a tool that will upgrade my drawings! :)

What do you artists use and why?
reneuend
Administrator

Postby Zenoc2 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am

I don't do much 2D art, but I think that you might want to have a look at Greenfish Painter.

http://greenfish.extra.hu/downloads.php

It's near the bottom of the page.
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Jaked » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:27 am

Zenoc2 wrote:I don't do much 2D art, but I think that you might want to have a look at Greenfish Painter.

http://greenfish.extra.hu/downloads.php

It's near the bottom of the page.

Didn't I talk about that? I'm still using Windows 95 caveman primitive technology and using MS Paint :P. For those who laugh: hey, it might be old but with those programs AM comes with it gets the job done.
My sig changes more often than Doctor Who (see your national BBC channel) regenarates into new melancholy actors. Oh look, Matt Smith! Gerard Butler! Colin Mochrie! That wolf from Twilight: New Moon!
Jaked
Code Master

Postby MRM2811 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:55 am

I use a range of products,

Gimp
Corel Essential 3
Art Rage
Photo Impact 12

Reason being that not all effects and blush strokes are done the same in every program, So I would suggest trying a few. Look at the topic here -

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=4217

and decide what suits your needs best. :)

EDIT

Also, If you have any troubles like I do when it comes to drwaing, there are litterally thousands of online tutorials and books to download for free. Just try a google search for "Free How to Draw".
Just PM me three things, a location, a time period and a item.

I will send you back a story line.
MRM2811
Frequent Poster

Postby Mystery » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:20 am

I'm awful at drawing :lol:
This is also why I don't get any expensive software for that. If I need to, then I use GIMP or Paint.net.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:36 am

I can't draw that well either..I use stock..I mix it up quiet a bit..From Paint, to GIMP..to Paint.net..but my fav is PhotoImpressions..Its a really good tool for beginners..and advanced..You can work with layers..effects..You can also import/export pictures from it to another software. You can add the additional software as a tool/thumbnail....It has text tools..all of it and really user freindly...:D

Adieux~
Last edited by mercedes on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby Eccentrica » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:34 am

since i cant physically draw 2d I design everything in sketchup and export images tweaking them in photoshop saves so much time. & plus means i got the best of both worlds design in 3d can export to 2d and or 3d when needed
Eccentrica

Postby ZeornWarlock » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:34 am

Photoshop is my first choice, although I use all of what I own.

ZW.
You have to make some to understand some.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby rattle13 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:58 am

I scan my drawings and clean up and color with PhotoImpact XL.
Last edited by rattle13 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rattle13

Postby reneuend » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:23 am

I've seen where other people have scanned drawings and they came out great! Whenever I've tried that, there was too much to clean up! I make a lot of lines because I sketch as opposed to line draw. :(

The technique I'm using now is to create a sketch using my new Bamboo digital tablet. Then create a layer over it and carefully trace only the lines that I want. Then I fill it with color and texture and remove some of the outlines. Tedious, time-consuming, and after awhile very boring, but it gets the job done.

I'm now looking at 3D modeling programs, but I'm so busy with projects that I haven't had time to try any out lately.

btw, your avatar makes me dizzy! :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby rattle13 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:26 pm

:oops:
Last edited by rattle13 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rattle13

Postby rattle13 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:26 pm

I see. Sometimes I scan a drawing that's a bit sketchy and I mess around with the contrast and gama controls which bring the more solid lines out. That process saves a little time. 3D seems to be the choice of many. In that area I use AC3D for modeling and it exports to most popular formats.

btw,yeah time for a change :D
rattle13

Postby Zenoc2 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:39 am

@Mercedes: PhotoImpression?

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! Cool! :P That program is a great alternative to Photoshop, although not as powerful. What version do you use?

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby rattle13 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:12 am

:oops:
Last edited by rattle13 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rattle13

Postby Zenoc2 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:15 am

I'm pretty sure I asked for Mercedes, but thanks for the info. :)

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:15 am

Hey Zenoc...:)

I think my version is 4, I really love it...lol...It does alot actually..the only thing i don't like is it doesn't handle GIF but i just resave in gimp..and im good to go[cause it handles transparency..just not gif]...I can do alot in that program..At one point, i couldn't start a drawing in it...basically would start it in paint and finish with Photoimpressions..But now..I can really manipulate it...:D It's great for anyone to start with as well...cause it has a good help section..easy to read..

That's pretty cool u use that too...lol..I was trying to find a free one..I found it once..its actually hard to find..:? I gather u need the additional software to go with it..?

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby ZeornWarlock » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 am

reneuend wrote:I've seen where other people have scanned drawings and they came out great! Whenever I've tried that, there was too much to clean up! I make a lot of lines because I sketch as opposed to line draw. :(

The technique I'm using now is to create a sketch using my new Bamboo digital tablet. Then create a layer over it and carefully trace only the lines that I want. Then I fill it with color and texture and remove some of the outlines. Tedious, time-consuming, and after awhile very boring, but it gets the job done.

I'm now looking at 3D modeling programs, but I'm so busy with projects that I haven't had time to try any out lately.

btw, your avatar makes me dizzy! :)

Only pencil work and paint I scan as is; otherwise I draw and scan the same way with roughs. The trick you use with your tablet can be done with scans too. Just create a new layer over your scans and trace over it.

On a side note, I hope you will keep your 2D drawings (Sketches) for your games as this was something I appreciated from them. I prefer style over realism.

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Postby Zenoc2 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 pm

Style over realism, eh? Maybe I should sketch things out a bit more before modeling them...

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby ZeornWarlock » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:21 am

Zenoc2 wrote:Style over realism, eh? Maybe I should sketch things out a bit more before modeling them...

That is just my preference and does not mean that you have to change your ways. ;)

ZW.
ZeornWarlock
Expert Member

Return to Artwork