Adventure Maker Game Design Contest 2008/09

Here you will find contest you can enter.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Postby Mystery » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:09 pm

I'm going to add the links to the submitted games continually to the first post of this thread.

The feedback from the jury, and the results of this contest will be added later, when the deadline is over.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby juhuwoorps » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:54 pm

It would be nice if the forum members couls also have a change to vote.
Maybe it could do so that the jury have 65% of the vote and then when they have done their choice the forum members can do their choice .
Do you know what I mean?
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi juhu,

Thanks for your suggestion :)
I think for this contest we won't change the rules anymore, but we may take your idea into consideration for future contests :)
Mystery

Postby Vairon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 am

Sorry, but I had technical problems recently and I can not finish on time the project for the contest. I'm out :cry: :cry:
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:14 am

If there is anything any of us can do to help, let us know. I'm in this for the fun. Sorry for your troubles! :(
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Vairon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:55 pm

Thank you for the part that touches me, but now it is impossible for me to continue with this.
I will pay attention to the outcome of the contest.
Anyway I wish good luck to all participants!
Vairon
Forum Master

Same for me

Postby Harvester » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:40 pm

I also had to abandon the project for a while for various reasons.
a./ the scene file consisting of the WHOLE ready location was corrupted
b./ music composition gained first priorty...
c./ and anyway, I have to apply for a university this year which needs quite a lot of studying...

Good luck for all. I plan to continue the game asap, if not for a contest then just for fun.

Harvester
*** www.nikotinzenekar.hu <-2011. album titled 'Mese' free to download! (5th button). *** www.mydarkmind.atw.hu <- under construction for a while.
Harvester
Forum Master

Postby reneuend » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:12 am

It's going to be close, but I'll turn my game in, some time on saturday! :shock:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Shafayat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm having a little problem with the video playback. Somehow, I'm getting low frame skip rate after I re-encoded my video files to lessen the size.

Yet, I look forward to publishing the complete game within midnight. (GMT +6)

I hope I can complete it in time. Then, I need to work on the walkthrough too.
Shafayat

Postby Shafayat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm complete. Currently uploading the game file. Just finished the walkthrough too.

My files size is a little over the limit 56.4 mbs. I hope that doesn't disquilifies me. I tried to lessen the file size of the videos. But, whenever I reencode my videos, they get played in slow motion. So I decided to keep them.

Here is what I think I need to (and I shall) do to submit the game-

Post the link to the game file here.
Post the walkthrough here.

Do I still have to send the walkthroughs to every judge indivisually?

Best regards
Shsfayat
Shafayat

Postby Mystery » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:49 pm

Vairon and Harvester, I'm very sorry that you won't be able to submit your planned games for the contest :( But I understand that available time and priorities can change. Maybe you can participate in the next contest :)

For those who are ready to submit their games:
I can host your games on my server. If you would like to have the information how to upload it there, PM me.
If you would like to upload your game somewhere else, feel free to do so.
You can either PM the download link to the jury, or post it here.
I'm going to add the download links to the first post of this thread.

For the walkthrough:
If you wish to have it public, then post it here:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Otherwise, PM the walkthrough to the jury members.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post here or PM me. I'll be around over the weekend.
I hope that we will get some great games for this contest! :D
Mystery

My Game

Postby Shafayat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:01 pm

All right. Here is what I could scrap up.

Life is for living.
A simple video adventure game.

Download links -

http://sss13x.ucoz.net/Miscs/Lisl.part1.rar
http://sss13x.ucoz.net/Miscs/Lisl.part2.rar
http://sss13x.ucoz.net/Miscs/Lisl.part3.rar
http://sss13x.ucoz.net/Miscs/Lisl.part4.rar
http://sss13x.ucoz.net/Miscs/Lisl.part5.rar
http://sss13x.ucoz.net/Miscs/Lisl.part6.rar

Walkthrough -

http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... 2442#22442
or, http://sss13x.ucoz.net/Miscs/LisLWT.rar

Regards
Shafayat

BTW, These files are uploaded directly on my website. I'm currently visiting the rural areas of my country where the only mean of reaching internet is Radiolink. And the speed is very low and often connection gets cut. So, I uploaded the file (rar archieve) in chunks. Hope that wont be a problem. Should a file link does not work, pm me kindly.
Shafayat

Game Uploaded

Postby reneuend » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:16 am

I sent the download url to Mystery, but for the rest of the group here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nxllzwkzyrr/Shayne%20-%20Once%20Bitten%20Twice%20Shy%20v1-0.zip

I put the walkthru in the installation package, but I'll post in the forum just in case.

Thanks for the opportunity...now I can get some sleep. :shock:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Thank you very much for your submissions! :D
I'm going to add the download links to the first post.

@Shafayat
I'm going to check if the files work :)

According to the updated list of participants, I still haven't heard from a few people. I would appreciate them to let us know if they are going to enter the contest or not.

* nefertiti1122
* chickens1127 (team partner?)
* Ostp
* cpkspikyhair

JFYI: Von Knudenberg has the exceptional permission to enter his game on Tuesday due to unforeseen job-related obligations this whole week.
Mystery

Postby Shafayat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Would that postpone the result giving date too. When is it, anyway?
Shafayat

Postby Mystery » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Shafayat,
I can only talk for myself. I'm trying to play and evaluate all submitted games today as I don't really have time during weekdays. I'm going to play Von Knudenberg's game on Tuesday evening after work. After I get the score for each game from the jury, I'll make the announcement - either Tuesday or Wednesday (we have to take into consideration that the jury members are living in different time zones).

After the announcement, all jury members are asked to add a short feedback on each game for the creators.
Mystery

Postby Shafayat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks for the details. I eagerly await the results.
Regards
Shafayat
Shafayat

Postby Mystery » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Shafayat, I've sent you a PM, have you noticed it?
Mystery

Postby Zenoc2 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:51 pm

I sent you one too...
"What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand." -Captain Spock

Proud member of the

Zenoc2
Expert Member

Postby Chromegloss55 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:33 pm

@Contestants...

I will be playing each of your games during the course of the week. I will post the score and a short feedback to Mystery.

However, I will PM each contestant detailed feedback of the game once the contest is over.
Chromegloss - Vanishes and then re-appears at complete random. [Working on Advanced Section of VBScript guide]
Chromegloss55
Forum Master

Postby Mystery » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Dear participants of the AM contest,

We are having an exceptional situation due to our 4th contestant experiencing technical difficulties. For the jury, this means to take a decision how to proceed with the contest.
We would like to give the chance to Von Knudenberg to overcome those problems, and enter his game into the contest, because he's been working hard on it in the past months, and his game is almost done.
Therefore another extension of a day will be granted. However, we feel that in this case, the other contestants should be allowed to submit a fixed/enhanced version of their game, too, even at the risk that not all participants will notice this message in time :?
Therefore all contestants can provide us a new version of their games within 24 hours from now on. We hope that the participants who have submitted their games before the deadline have understanding for this exceptional situation :)

On a general note, there are certain points concerning future AM contests that I'm planning to open for discussion within the community after the current contest has finished:
    1)I have received some requests/ideas for the judgment criteria of submitted games. This led me to the idea that it might be interesting to discuss on what criteria games should be evaluated in future.
    2) It might be also a good idea to discuss how deadlines and extensions of deadlines should be handled in future, so that we have some guidelines which we have agreed upon.

After the announcement of the winners of the current contest, I'm going to create a new topic in the forums on these 2 questions.
Mystery

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:13 pm

That would be great!
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby Von Knudenberg » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:13 pm

Hello, all you brave adventurers!

I'm very sorry to say this, after all support and understanding, that I can't finish my game for this contest.

I know it isn't so nice to wait and postpone given deadline because of one person, who in this case eventually didn't make it.

I have had great support from Mystery and other judges as well for giving me this chance to finish my game and I'm very sad that I have to let you down. Some job related necessities ate quite a bunch of my precious game making time and now, like that wasn't enough, I've encountered technical difficulties. Blender, which I use to render my frames now crashes every time I try to render anything at all (some memory leak, I quess, because non of my games are working as we speak). This game supposed to use cubic panorama plugin, but as I encountered this problem, I started to render every frame again (and there are plenty of those!), so I could use at least traditional "slideshow" technic. Even that became impossible. So now, after over 24 hours nonstop working with this problem related game (just one of those 24ers), I have to give up.

I will post information and demo of "Twilight Of The Idols" at New Games Announcements as soon as I have fixed this annoying problem with my computer. So wait at least some already made screenshots and videos soon...

Once again, I'm very sorry for your troubles, Mystery and other judges. And for other contestants, thank you for your patience and understanding. I really tried...

Sincerely,
Pete
Von Knudenberg

Postby reneuend » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Since it was decided to give another 24 hours, I've done some MAJOR updates to my game..do you want it with the updates or are you ending the contest?

My opinion, is to stick with the 24 hour deal since it was set.

Von Knudenberg, I'm sorry you didn't get your game in on time. I hope you will post the game as soon as it is done, or ask for help to get it done. It takes alot of work doesn't it?
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby reneuend » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:47 am

Here is my updated copy of "Once Bitten Twice Shy".

Updated 02/05/2009 (to fix a minor issue):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hzzjjitzomm/Shayne+-+Once+Bitten+Twice+Shy+v1-2a.zip

I haven't heard from anyone today...what's the status?
Last edited by reneuend on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby Shafayat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Hello Von Knudenberg
It is really sad that you can not submit your game. I really was looking forward playing your game, especially when it is being awaited such greatly by the judges. Anyway, better luck next time.
And please, do not criticise yourself. It is probably not your fault. In case it is, It is not that big and in my personal opinion is very much formidable.
Now, the only thing I want is the RESULTS. Please judges, how long would you make this poor soul waiting? ;)

regards
Shafayat
Shafayat

Postby mercedes » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Just wanted to wish everyone GoodLuck!~ on their games for the win..:D
Also,
Sorry to hear your game couldn't' be submitted Von :(..You can make some fantastic games too, after all you did win the last time, with good reason...!~...I hope everything comes together for you..with your computer and game..:D

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby Vairon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Good idea, Mystery.
Vairon
Forum Master

Postby Mystery » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm sorry that I couldn't log in yesterday - I came home very late from work and was exhausted.

Von Knudenberg, I am really very sorry that you haven't been able to overcome your technical difficulties, but that they have gotten even worse :cry:
Nonetheless, I look forward to playing your game whenever you can finish it :)

I have added the link to the updated game by reneuend to the first post.
The judges are asked to play and evaluate the new version for the contest.

I would like to ask the jury to PM me with their points on each judgement criterium and the total score for each submitted game as soon as possible, so that I can announce the winners. You can then post your feedback on each game directly in that thread.
Thank you :)
Mystery

Postby reneuend » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm adding some new content to the walkthru. I'll upload it shortly.

Here is the latest walkthru for version 1.2a:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ymunn0gc4mh/shayne+-+once+bitten+twice+shy+-+walkthru.txt
---

reneuend
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Adventure Maker Contests