icon difficulties.

This forum is meant for people to share their knowledge by writing their own tutorials for Adventure Maker.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

icon difficulties.

Postby auxlen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi,

I'm having a great deal of trouble with icons. I naturally want the best looking icons i can and have scoured the net for them but AM doesnt like them (i assume they are convertyed pngs) so i decided to try and make my own and found

http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/ but when i make icons they either look horrible in AM or AM doesn't like them.

I have included a screensdhot of the settings to see if there is anything to help.

Icons is an area i really need good looking things. I saw a post about making flags for pictures but it was a bit beyond me.
auxlen

Postby Lyberodoggy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:03 pm

did you try changing the color resolution?
Lyberodoggy
Administrator

Postby marina » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi Auxlen!
As a beginner I dealt a lot with the icons issue just lately and I must say that by now I'm rather satisfied with them.
I searched the forums for a free utility that could allow me to create files .ico from pictures, any picture, and I found a link for IrfanView, that - at lest in my opinion- works very well.
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

It's very simple to use: you open an image in the allowed graphic formats, then resize it to become an icon (I like them 48 x 48, so, in order not to have them overlapping in the inventory I changed to 20 the default spacing of objects in the "Inventory" tab of the project properties) and save them in the proper folder.
If you need transparency this is my suggestion: before importing the picture in IrfanView change all the unwanted background in a flat colour that has NOT to be inside the picture itself; in this way, when saving it as an icon with transparency (you get a window asking to click on a colour to become transparent) no part of the picture will be cancelled and your icon will be neat and good looking.
Try it eventually, I hope you'll be satisfied as well.
I'm fond of Rhem-like games!
marina

Postby drummerac » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:18 pm

I have used alot of icons from this site:

http://icone.goldenweb.it/index_file/l/en/d2/sistemi_operativi/c/beBox2_1/default.html

They have all worked well and there is a good selection.
drummerac

Postby 3dgamer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi auxlen,

marina wrote:...I searched the forums for a free utility that could allow me to create files .ico from pictures, any picture, and I found a link for IrfanView, that - at lest in my opinion- works very well.
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm...

Marina is passing along some good icon wisdom, there. ;)

I have found that AM is very fussy about the ICO files it will accept and play with. Some ICO files won't even import. However, others will import, but when it is time to play, AM spits it back out at you. I have found that Irfanview consistently makes icons that AM likes. It is freeware unless you need to use it commercially, then, from what I understand, you need to contact the developer and slip him a few clam shells or so. :)

But the point that Marina brought out about having a non-matching color for transparency is crucial. If you use a color that is even close to one in your icon image, then when you go to select the transparency color, it will degrade the image by subtracting that similar color from it.

Also, converting the image to an ICO format, first, and then resizing it down to an icon size, may yield better results. But testing to see which approach looks better is best.

Well, hth. :)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:09 pm

I completely agree with you 3dgamer. IrfanView makes usually .ico files that AM likes. But concerning editing I get better results with GIMP. So I usually edit, resize, convert etc. with GIMP, and then let Irfanview save the .ico again to satisfy AM.

This often works, but still there are exceptions, when I have to mess around with the .ico file until it gets completely accepted by AM :P
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby mercedes » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:29 pm

http://www.deviouscodeworks.co.uk/imagicon.html

I like this one myself..I'ts easy, you can't get any easier than this one.. u just drag any image from anywhere, it supports .bmp, png, jpeg :D I'ts strictly just for icons--very small program..There are a variety of sizes as well..~

I use wingdings/webdings---They make excellent icons/cursors[First make them really big as u would any text] There is a huge variety..Easy to work with too being as they're already drawn.. even in paint..then i use Imagicon or Irvanfiew to convert them to ico..:D

AM will accept any ico i have made with Imagicon too..

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:49 pm

So I can take a picture of a shovel at my home and it will make it into an ICON? What about the background stuff? Do you still have to use an eraser tool to make it transparent?
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby Mystery » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:54 pm

You could do that.
Make sure that the background is unicolor, and differs from the colors of the shovel.
Then you can just remove/make transparent the background color using Photoshop, GIMP, Irfanview or another image editing software that supports transparency.
Mystery

Postby pennsteve » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:58 pm

I just tried it out. I think I have to use something like paintnet to make the background transparent before I use this icon maker.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:13 pm

That's correct!

I feel like Kat12! I've been downloading all the icon tools that people have suggested. So far, they all work about the same. The interfaces are just a little different.

I still can't get a good result for a Texas Ranger Badge! :lol:
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby pennsteve » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Ok, I just tried using webdings in paint. I used the No Smoking image. Made the size 72 (thats the biggest it gets) and saved it as jpg. I then used this imagicon software to make it into a 32x32 icon, but when I tried to use it, it is very very VERY small and you cant tell what it is.

What did I do wrong? Should I have saved it as gif instead of JPG?

EDIT: imagicon wont support gif. Ill try bmp and see what happens.

To Mercedes: There are a lot of neat symbols in paint webdings and wingdings, but its a pain to go through each key to figure out what is what. Do you know of a directory online that will show me what picture I will get if I hit a certain key? Thanks :)
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby juhuwoorps » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 pm

My favorite programm for icons is Icon Cool Editor.
It works with nerly all picture filetypes and I don't have problems with the icons in AM.
It'S no free ware but you can test a 30 days trial

Pennsteve, is this what you need?

http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html
juhuwoorps
Code Master

Postby Mystery » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Well, you don't need to choose font size 72 if you will make the icon 32x32 anyway.
I just tried, and it's of course small, but you can still see what it is.

You can use Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map to see the symbols and copy them.
Mystery

Postby 3dgamer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:30 pm

reneuend wrote:I still can't get a good result for a Texas Ranger Badge! :lol:

Hey reneuend,

Is the Texas Ranger badge icon something you can post here? Maybe I or one of us can take a whack at it! ;)

pennsteve wrote:EDIT: imagicon wont support gif. Ill try bmp and see what happens.

Irfanview, my friend, Irfanvieeeeeeeew! ;) -hehe

juhuwoorps wrote:...is this what you need?

http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html

This is a good one, Juhu.. Thanks.

Also, what I have found helpful is font viewing software. I use Font Page (freeware) to view my fonts before using them - http://bluefive.pair.com/

Well, hth, pennsteve. :)
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:47 pm

Is the Texas Ranger badge icon something you can post here? Maybe I or one of us can take a whack at it!

That would be cool! 8)

2 of these are in PSP format. Let me know if I need to convert them for you.

Thanks for the help! :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0l24immzzqn/texas+ranger+badge+icon.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zywywmviq2m/texas+ranger+badge.psp

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hymtnwmmg2n/sm_texas_ranger_badge.psp
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby pennsteve » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:30 pm

ok what is infraview? If I try to use a webdings icon from paint set at the highest font size 72, it always comes out very small when i go to make the icon. When I use the icon in AM, you cant tell what it is.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:46 pm

Hey Steve..Actually Paint does make them small--If u choose the size option. What I do is select it after wards --with regular select tool and drag it to a much bigger size...Then edit it a bit..with straighter lines or whatever..Pick color for the background---- something that is not in the item..Then shrink it again..
Save it as a bmp--Then make sure Imagicon has the same color setting for transparency u chose--for background..Or

In another program where u can simply drag the picture to whatever size u want..--which is what i do also..
I usually make it really big..About 640*480 --in a 800*600 frame persay...Then I shrink it ... This way u can work with it too..before converting it..

I always make icons really big...before i convert them, therefore the quality is much better when u choose 32*32--or whatever size u want..:) I usually choose 64*64--This is for cursors. That's the max size for cursors..If u want to use them as icons..that's different

You can open it up in AM's icon editor if u wanted too later..I don't usually but u can..This will save only as 32*32
Last edited by mercedes on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby 3dgamer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi pennsteve,

pennsteve wrote:ok what is infraview?

irfanview is a freeware ICON Editor which is known for making AM compatible ICONS, 100% of the time. You can download it from here: Irfanview - http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Non-commercial use is fine, but commercial use warrants an agreement with the developer [i.e. money ;)]

It has gotten me out of all my icon issues in regards to AM.

pennsteve wrote: If I try to use a webdings icon from paint set at the highest font size 72, it always comes out very small when i go to make the icon. When I use the icon in AM, you cant tell what it is.

I think that AM also tries to conform icons to the 1:1 size. So using any other proportion may throw it off. But if you use Irfanview to create your icons, you shouldn't have any size problems in AM.

Well, hth.
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:17 pm

If I try to use a webdings icon from paint set at the highest font size 72, it always comes out very small when i go to make the icon. When I use the icon in AM, you cant tell what it is.

Sorry i missed this ..

I forgot to mention in my previous post..For AM to accept the icon to be bigger say 64*64 You have to make sure the transparent area is NOT big.

So once u have made ur icon in paint to say the biggest size u can..and the background is red or whatever..Shrink the picture to a smaller size..--BY dragging the corners. The icon will stay the same..Only the background won't be huge..

This is why some think AM doesn't accept bigger icons..It does..its' just the background..if too much transparent background..The u won't see it..Also where u place the icon...I try and place it in the middle or Far left corner of the frame im drawing it or have placed it on. By the time I'm done my picture where the icon is around 320*250--The icon taking most of the space.

Every icon i have ever made with Imagicon..being up too 32*32-- 64*64--128*128 I can display in AM. :) You won't see it in the properties--If its too big.
But when u test it..U see it then--64 is the max for cursors..Also, depending on what it is..U may see it or only see the corner of it..

If u use it as an item to grab..u should see it in the Inventory tab. The only thing if its really big[128*128]..U have to adjust your inventory space.

Heres an example..This is of a mail box i made, using a webding/wingding I used it as a cursor at 64*64 and an icon at 128*128~ I'ts not been edited at all..Just wanted to show u the size~

I use irfanview as well though, I like it cause u can make picture icons..and its also easy to use..~

Don't forget if u use Shift/CAPS/Regular u get different pictures too for both windings and webdings...~

Peace
Attachments
mailbox.JPG
mailbox.JPG (9.34 KiB) Viewed 19863 times
Last edited by mercedes on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercedes
VIP

Postby 3dgamer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:12 am

reneuend wrote:
Is the Texas Ranger badge icon something you can post here? Maybe I or one of us can take a whack at it!

That would be cool! 8)

2 of these are in PSP format. Let me know if I need to convert them for you.

Thanks for the help! :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0l24immzzqn/texas+ranger+badge+icon.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zywywmviq2m/texas+ranger+badge.psp

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hymtnwmmg2n/sm_texas_ranger_badge.psp

Okay, yeah, the Texas Ranger pic was a bit tricky. :) I think if the resolution were higher it would work a bit better.

I think I was able to clean up the icon a little bit, but it isn't as good as I know it could get. But I will attach them and let you check them out.

I did import them in AM and they did look cleaner, though, as hotspot icons.

They are 32 x 32. Let me know what you think. :)

----[EDIT]------------

Btw, they do look better than the screen capture I just uploaded. :)
Attachments
texas ranger badges.jpg
How they look as hotspot icons in AM
texas ranger badges.jpg (358.12 KiB) Viewed 19851 times
texas ranger badge-3.zip
(5.22 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
texas ranger badge-2b.zip
(5.22 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
3DGamer
3dgamer
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:43 am

Great!
Thanks 3D for working on this. :)
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby pennsteve » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:50 am

Ok, I made a bike icon, but it loses a bit of quality, but you can see it. If I used the white background and set it to white on the Imagicon software it comes out transparent, BUT, I tried to make a giftbox icon. I used red as the background because some of the giftbox has white in it. When I use red and set it to red on Imagicon, it doesnt make the icon transparent. Why? It was the same color red. 255,0,0.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:03 am

Deleted old Post--

It worked for me...Is the checkmark in where it says
Zero encoded Alpha..?

I just made a gift box..converted it to 32*32 and u see it really really well..in AM..

I'm going to try a skull and cross bones picture for a cursor..and the bike u speak of...I'll upload them all three here..as finished icons as well as bmp's....so u can see if u like it..The skull i just feel like doing..lol..

Edit****
I didn't edit these for the most part..--which is why i included the BMP'S--this way u can choose whatever color u want..Straighten lines whatever..I hate crooked lines..lol~

In it is;

Bike--2 sizes
Wheel--2 sizes
No smoking sign--2 sizes
Hourglass--2 sizes
Present-GiftBox
Mailbox
Skull and Bones--2 sizes

U can upload them HERE
mercedes
VIP

Postby pennsteve » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Yes, in Icon settings I have both checked. Enable transparency and Zero encoded alpha are both checked. If I make a bmp of the bicycle in paint and keep the white background and set the color on imagicon to white, it makes a transparent icon, but it loses just a little quality. I made the background red and set imagicon to red, but it didnt come out transparent, it still had a red background. When I tried it on AM, it still had the red background.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby reneuend » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 pm

I ran into the same problem, PennSteve! :?

I finally made a transparent png file from Paintshop Pro and then ran it through Imagicon. It's the only way I could get the transparency to work for me.
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby pennsteve » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:40 pm

It seems to work if you have a white background, just make sure there is no white in the picture or it will become transparent too, I think.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Postby mercedes » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:04 am

Something's not right..cause i used red for everyone of my pictures..that I uploaded in the forum here..:? all except one..where i used green cause there was red in the initial picture..

I have check marks in both places and i use the red color and they come out transparent..--the red comes out transparent..

U have to make sure the color setting is done first--both check marks in place....hit ok...then import picture in..Using file open..thats how i do it..

The picture also should be saved as a 24bit bmp..I do it that way, I find it gets better results..

I can use any color at all..provided i set the color first.
mercedes
VIP

Postby reneuend » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:59 pm

mercedes wrote:U have to make sure the color setting is done first--both check marks in place....hit ok...then import picture in..Using file open..thats how i do it..
I can use any color at all..provided i set the color first.

Oh, that might be the problem! :oops:

I imported the image first and then I changed the transparency setting. Duh! Now that I think about it, the application probably does all the conversion as soon as you drag it in! :roll:

Thanks, Mercedes! I'll give it another try and see what happens!
---

reneuend
Administrator

Postby pennsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:04 am

I had the color set first. Both checkmarks checked. Used red, 24 bitmap, etc. When I made the icon it had the red background. I figured maybe it wouldnt show up in AM, but it did. It was a red background.
pennsteve
Expert Member

Next

Return to Post Your Own Tutorials